Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cookie help

1. Senior Member

Cookie help

Advertisements
    Anyone a cookie baking expert? I need help w/ peanut butter cookies! I want to bake some of the old fashioned peanut butter kind w/ the fork indentations. So far, I've tried 2 different recipes and they never turn out. The cookies won't hold their shape, they spread out way too much and then burn! I tried turning the oven temp down and then they still spread out too much and never baked all the way!
    Any clues to what's going wrong? Any tips or ideas?
    TIA!
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."

2. Moderator

When your cookies spread too much, you may need more flour or your butter may have been too soft. Does your recipe use baking soda or powder? Baking powder makes cookies hold their shape a little better, so you may want to use a recipe with powder, not soda.
  3. Senior Member
    Are you following the recipe exactly? Also, what is your butter like when you put it in to mix?

Another thing that can help is refrigerating the dough, or the entire cookie sheet, before putting in the oven. If you make two batches make sure your cookie sheet is completely cooled or cold.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  4. Senior Member
    I agree with the above posters, but I wanted to add my two cents. Is the baking pan you're using dark? I always have burned bottoms when I use a dark pan! I always grease up my light-colored pans with shortening and take them out a minute or two early, then let them sit for a bit on the pan. I love chewy cookies and that's the best way I've found to make that happen. Hope that helps
  5. skp
    The journey is the reward.
    The journey is the reward.
    with what PP said. It's probably too much butter/your ratios are off. Also you can add cornstarch to pretty much anything to firm it up.

br33 is my professional deployment twin
    starsinthesky is my PAL
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    Are you following the recipe exactly? Also, what is your butter like when you put it in to mix?

Another thing that can help is refrigerating the dough, or the entire cookie sheet, before putting in the oven. If you make two batches make sure your cookie sheet is completely cooled or cold.
    Yes following recipe exactly. The butter is softened but not melted.
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."

7. Senior Member
    Softened usually means room temp, avoid putting it in the microwave. I usually cut my butter up on a plate a few hours before I'm going to bake. Also, just an in general tip for great cookies, cook them on parchment (not wax) paper. The will never stick and won't get too brown on the bottoms.

I think this is the recipe that I've always used.

Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe from Betty Crocker