Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tilapia

1. *Live Free or Die* New Hampshire born & raised <3
    *Live Free or Die* New Hampshire born & raised <3
    Advertisements
    i used to LOVE tilapia

and then i met a woman on the plane that worked for the FDA.....

she told me ( and i also researched after!!) that owners of tilapia farms in all around the world pump so many hormones into the fish in order to make the next generation bigger, and meatier, that now Tilapia comes out with no sex organs

that freaks me out , because i feel like i am consuming so mnay hormones due to eating it...YKWIM?
  2. Senior Member
    I shake and bake it

3. Senior Member
    I like to skillet fry it in olive oil and season it with Old Bay, and I make a dipping sauce with mayo, lemon juice and fresh dill.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcatsgirl18 View Post
    i used to LOVE tilapia

and then i met a woman on the plane that worked for the FDA.....

she told me ( and i also researched after!!) that owners of tilapia farms in all around the world pump so many hormones into the fish in order to make the next generation bigger, and meatier, that now Tilapia comes out with no sex organs

that freaks me out , because i feel like i am consuming so mnay hormones due to eating it...YKWIM?
    Wild caught tilapia is going to be much better for you than the farm raised. In addition to the farms that use hormones to turn the fish all into males so they don't over-breed in the farm tanks, the corn they feed them cause them to have higher levels of the Omega-6 fatty acid, which is bad for you. They also have lower levels of Omega-3 than wild caught, which is the good fatty acid that you want from fish.
  5. *Live Free or Die* New Hampshire born & raised <3
    *Live Free or Die* New Hampshire born & raised <3
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    Wild caught tilapia is going to be much better for you than the farm raised. In addition to the farms that use hormones to turn the fish all into males so they don't over-breed in the farm tanks, the corn they feed them cause them to have higher levels of the Omega-6 fatty acid, which is bad for you. They also have lower levels of Omega-3 than wild caught, which is the good fatty acid that you want from fish.
    thanks for the add on, i didn't know all this! i just just told to stay away from it at restaurants because its probably not wild caught....
  6. il Mio cuore il tuo per sempre
    il Mio cuore il tuo per sempre
    I usually add some dijon mustard to melted butter (and garlic powder bc I'm addicted to it), coat the fish, pour any remaining over the top with a little black pepper, and bake it in a pyrex at 350 for about 15 to 25 minutes, depending on the thickness of the filet. It should flake when it's done.

My MIL made the most amazing tilapia for me once, it was a can of diced tomatoes (drained), a little olive oil, and fresh garlic. Baked it up, OMFG, delish
  7. Single gal
    Single gal
    I usually coat mine in garlic and onion powder after marinating it in balsamic vinegar and olive oil for about ehh 30 mins to an hour and cook it on the stove with a little olive oil. Steam some brown rice and some spinach. Oh and I top it with Pico de gallo....SO FREAKIN YUMMY and healthy too =)
  8. han
    Really yummy with pesto
  9. Regular Member
    I loooove tilapia! I get it in those packs of frozen filets from Sam's Club cuz you can just cook them from frozen and it's super easy (plus won't go bad in your fridge waiting for you to decide to cook it *guilty*). I usually put a tiny pat of butter underneath each filet on the pan and a tiny pat of butter on top of each filet so that the butter melts and cooks with the fish when I bake it. I also season the filets with blackened seasoning and squeeze some lemon on them when I take 'em out of the oven. Mmmmm!

I've also heard of people coating tilapia with crushed doritos! I haven't tried it but it sounds good.
    Hello
  10. Senior Member
    I am insulted you didn't text me about this earlier

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."
    Dr. Seuss
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast