Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegeterian Eating...

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    For a quick meal try Amy's brand frozen foods. They are a little pricey, but they are very very good. They have lots of options, (at least at my grocery store, but Whole Foods has a lot of them) different types of foods, and they come in vegan and vegetarian.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  2. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Tomato and Squash Curry with Yellow Split Peas

-1 medium onion, thinly sliced
    -10 oz squash, cubed (2 cup’s worth, cooked or raw)
    -16.5 oz chopped tomatoes
    -1/2 cup split yellow peas
    -4-6 tablespoon red curry paste
    -2 cups vegetable stock
    -1 – 15 oz can lite coconut milk
    -red pepper flakes, to taste
    -coconut oil, for sautéing the onions

* Optional – freshly shredded herbs, for garnish (basil, cilantro and parsley are all good options)

Sauté the onion in coconut oil over medium heat until softened. Add in the curry paste and red pepper flakes and cook for a couple of minutes, spreading the paste evenly over the pan so that it’s all exposed to the heat.

Add the coconut milk and whisk the paste into it. Add the peas, tomatoes, squash and vegetable stock. Cook at a low simmer until the peas [and squash, if added raw] are soft.

If the curry becomes too thick, you can easily thin it out with some additional stock. Serve over rice

----------------------------------------

Stuffed Peppers

(4 Servings)
    1 cup Traditional Quinoa
    2 cups Water
    6 medium Peppers (any color you like)
    1 medium Onion, diced
    1/2 lb. fresh Mushrooms, sliced
    2 Tbsp. butter (I'm vegan so I use a vegan butter, Earth Balance is the brand)
    1 - 28 oz can Organic tomatoes, coarsely diced (reserve juice)
    2 Garlic cloves, crushed
    1 - 12 oz jar Mexican Salsa
    2 Tbs. Dry Sherry

* Optional...top with shredded cheese. I use vegan cheese.

Pre-heat oven to 325° F. Cook traditional quinoa following basic directions. Steam 6 medium peppers until soft but not floppy. In a large skillet, sauté the onion and mushrooms in butter. Add the diced tomatoes (reserve the juice). Add the crushed garlic and Mexican salsa. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the sherry and simmer 10 more minutes. Fold in quinoa. Place peppers in baking dish and fill with quinoa mixture. This will take about half the mixture. Thin remainder with reserved juice and pour around peppers.

Sprinkle shredded cheese over peppers and bake in 325° F. oven for 30-35 minutes. If you like spice sprinkle some cayenne pepper on top.

-----------------------------------------

If you're feeling Egyptian...

Baked Falafel

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 egg, beaten (or egg replacer)
    2 teaspoons olive oil

Directions:
    Wrap onion in cheese cloth and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Set aside. Place garbanzo beans, parsley, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, and baking soda in a food processor. Process until the mixture is coarsely pureed. Mix garbanzo bean mixture and onion together in a bowl. Stir in the flour and egg. Shape mixture into four large patties and let stand for 15 minutes.
    Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F
    Heat olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Place the patties in the skillet; cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
    Transfer skillet to the preheated oven and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.

3. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by retroclash View Post
    Have you ever made your own homemade seitan? It's pretty fun actually, lol. And SO cheap. One recipe makes a ton of it too. There are a lot of recipes on VegWeb to check out.
    Thank you I will check that out, sounds fun!

4. Can Anybody Find Me, Somebody To Love
    Can Anybody Find Me, Somebody To Love
    Target has a lot of veg/vegan options.

The morningstar "meat"balls are AMAZING and the morningstar "chik"en nuggets are Waaaayyy better than the soy nuggets.

Really all of the Morningstar products are amazing and can be found at Target.

Amy's (as a PP said) are also very delicious and pricey BUT they can be found at ALDI's for much much cheaper.

And when you don't feel like cooking, Mexican restaurants are pretty much the best places for vegetarians.

If you are concerned about Iron/protein levels then eat lots of Egg's (cage-free/veggie fed, also found at target) and lot's of Legumes (is that spelled right? lol) pretty much lots of Beans. I personally prefer Pinto beans but kidney beans are pretty awesome too.

Married to my Msos Wifey Hoots since 9-24-2010

5. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Also to add about Iron/Calcium, eat tons of Kale! The best veggie ever! I eat Kale salads all the time/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12