Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meal ideas for vegetarians with non-veg partners

1. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Advertisements
    I love this thread! I cook like this all the time for DH and I. I make a meatless option for me and add the meat for him Sometimes I don't even make a meat option and he eats it all up. This is my favorite recipe to make on days where I don't wanna do too much and DH loves this. He didn't even realize it was meatless until I told him.

Eggplant Chana Masala
    (this makes A LOT of servings. Usually I cut this in half)

Ingredients:
    - 3 large onions
    - 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
    - 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
    - 1 teaspoon curry powder
    - 1 to 2 teaspoons cumin
    - 1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces.
    - 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
    - 2 (14 ounce) cans peeled tomatoes, drained
    - 1 can vegetarian chili
    - 1 large handful chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
    1. Saute the onions and garlic with the oil, curry powder, and cumin in a large pot until the onions are soft or translucent, about 5 mins. Add the eggplant and saute for 5 mins longer until lightly browned and softened.
    2. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and chili. Simmer for 20-30 mins. It will get watery, but then reduce to a thick, stewy chana masala. Add more spices to taste.
    3. Stir in chopped cilantro and serve.

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Geographically Arkansas, but Carolina in my mind...
    Spicy Black Bean Soup (Just use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock)
    (This is SO good. My hardcore carnivore fiance requested that I make just him a pot of this so he can take it to work and have it for dinner every night).

Vegetarian Lasagna Rolls
    (so, so, SOOOOOOO good!)
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My favorite vegetarian meal that DB loves is a root vegetable soup. Sometimes I'm lucky and the grocery store has a little pack of soup greens and I don't even need to pick them out myself. You need an onion, turnip, parsnip, potato, celery, and carrots (I think I got it all). I also put some parsley and dill in it as well. I usually serve it with rye bread too. I just chop them up and make the soup. I cook it with some vegetable bouillon and I usually make some orzo pasta and throw that in as well.
    I wish I could put the link for the recipe, but I can't find it for the life of me! Honestly though, this is a cinch to make and it's so delicious!
  4. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Root vegetable soups are the best!

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Great thread!!!

I've been wanting to find different meals that both of us can enjoy. I usually just make things that are easy for him to just add meat to. Though he does like most of my vegetarian food. One recipe I'm looking for in particular is an easy spaghetti-squash lasagna recipe. I've had it once and was HOOOKED. But I'm really hesitant when it comes to buying "new" vegetables if I dont have a recipe right in front of me so I dont dilly-dally and end up never making the meal (thus wasting the squash).

The DB loves anything flavorful- he's a great vegetable eater!
  6. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    You allmake me sound like the carnivore that I am.I love my meat (haha) too much to give it up. Sounds like some good recipes, I'd like to try. I love veggies.
  7. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Luci View Post
    Great thread!!!

I've been wanting to find different meals that both of us can enjoy. I usually just make things that are easy for him to just add meat to. Though he does like most of my vegetarian food. One recipe I'm looking for in particular is an easy spaghetti-squash lasagna recipe. I've had it once and was HOOOKED. But I'm really hesitant when it comes to buying "new" vegetables if I dont have a recipe right in front of me so I dont dilly-dally and end up never making the meal (thus wasting the squash).

The DB loves anything flavorful- he's a great vegetable eater!
    Spaghetti squash lasagna sounds amazing...if you ever find a recipe please share! I'm big on spaghetti squash!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12