Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Healthy meals on a budget

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    you'd be amazed what a little garlic, olive oil, salt, & pepper will do for so many meats and veggies!
    I agree! I buy what veggies are on sale and just fry them up in stir fry. I got eggplant for 50 cents a pop and half of one of those goes a long way! I also buy bags of frozen stir fry and just nuke it in the microwave with a bit of TVP (textured vegetable protein which is CHEAP. get it at health food stores)
    Peace out. MSOS has lost it's value.
  2. Senior Member
    I'm right with you. I'm a student and I seriously buy everything I need that's healthy and under $100-150 a month at the store. Kroger now has coupons you can download to your Kroger card online and works an hour after you've downloaded it. I usually purchase:

A small/medium pineapple
    bananas
    Frozen Broccoli
    Salmon
    Catfish
    Ground Turkey
    Turkey Sausage
    Whole grain pasta
    Boneless, skinless Chicken breasts(3 pack, you can cut them in half to make 6 breasts)

If you shop around (and clip/download coupons) you can really save big, especially with just feeding yourself. I usually just purchase lean chicken, salmon (frozen or fresh), and ground turkey. If I purchase any sides, I make sure I can at least make 2-3 meals with them. Like dirty rice, you can have it as a side for one meal, or add cut up chicken, or ground turkey to it for another meal.

The salmon is very useful too. If you don't want the same fish and veggies, try purchasing one jar if Alfredo sauce (or make your own) and you can do a salmon alfredo with fettuccine noodles. I once purchased a small, cornish hen for like $1.99 and it lasted me for 4 meals. Top Ramen noodles are always good as well, and turkey spaghetti, turkey burgers, (mixed with hidden valley ranch seasoning).

Chicken can be just about used for anything. Fettichine, baked, mixed with stir fry veggies like broccoli or ramen noodles, fajitas, home made soup, chicken salad, chicken enchiladas, the list really goes on.

Once I ran out of meat but I noticed I had black olives, whole grain pasta, tomatoes, an onion, spaghetti sauce, and Parmesan cheese and made an amazing meatless spaghetti recipe, it actually was pretty good and lasted me a few days until I could shop again.
  3. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Please make a new thread. This is a super old one and the OP is no longer around
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123