Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Vegetarian root vegetable stew?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Vegetarian root vegetable stew?

Advertisements
    Does anyone have a tried and true root vegetable stew recipe? I've never made it, but I feel like trying something new. I've looked for recipes online, but I'm overwhelmed by all the options and I prefer to use recipes that come highly recommended. It doesn't have to be just vegetables, just no meat.

I Eelizah
  2. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Not a vegetable recipe per say - but for stew, we pretty much use onions & garlic sweated, add in celery, add water/stock, add potatoes, let cook until the potatoes are smushable, blend (so that part is the thick gravy) and then add in more veggies and cook until they are soft.

We do "kitchen" or "refrigerator" sometimes - whatever we have for veggies goes in. It's different every time!

I prefer tomato note, so last time, we threw in four peeled tomatoes with the potatoes.

Don't be overwhelmed - what do you have for veggies? I tend to think of carrots and potatoes, but definitely also turnips . . . .
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I never thought of blending potatoes to make it thicker. That's such a good idea. I'm thinking of using parsnips, turnips, and rutabagas since those are all veggies I haven't tried before. I'm not set on anything though.

I Eelizah
  4. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    My hubby is dead set on potatoes for thickening. I like using a little flour, but will admit the potatoes work wonderfully. We just got some turnips because I love using them as a complement to potatoes.

Any of those roots could also be blended (we have an immersion blender - it gets used a lot) for thickening, since they are all starchy.

Good luck!
  5. Senior Member
    not a root vegetable recipe, but this is one of my favorites that doesn't include meat in the recipe! We pass the time of day to forget how time passes: Recipe: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

Also - I usually just throw veggies I have on hand together and season with chicken/vegetable broth. Sometimes I'll throw in some small pasta that I have as well.
  6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I looooove to make a roasted sweet potato + butternut squash black bean chilli or soup. There are a ton of recipes online way better than mine though