Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Guinness STEW

1. Regular Member

Hungry Guinness STEW

Advertisements
    he Guinness stout beer not only helps tenderize the beef, it also gives a rich malty flavor to this chunky stew. It is also flavored with onions, carrots, garlic, and thyme. The stew may be made on the stove-top or oven.
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
    Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutesIngredients:
    •2 pounds lean stewing beef
    •3 Tablespoons oil
    •2 Tablespoons flour
    •Salt and freshly ground pepper and a pinch of cayenne
    •2 large onions, coarsely chopped
    •1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)
    •2 Tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
    •1-1/4 cups Guinness stout beer
    •2 cups carrots, cut into chunks
    •Sprig of thyme
    Preparation:
    Trim the beef of any fat or gristle, cut into cubes of 2 inches (5cm) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season the flour with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture.

Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat. Brown the meat on all sides. Add the onions, crushed garlic, and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.

Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole, and pour some of the Guinness beer into the frying pan. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan.

Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness; add the carrots and the thyme. Stir, taste, and add a little more salt if necessary.

Cover with the lid of the casserole and simmer very gently until the meat is tender -- 2 to 3 hours. The stew may be cooked on top of the stove or in a low oven at 300 degrees F. Taste and correct the seasoning. Scatter with lots of chopped parsley.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings
  2. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Mmmmmm! I might try this one in the slow cooker instead.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  3. Senior Member
    this is DF's fav beer... I may have to try this one
    A second chance at happiy ever after
  4. Regular Member
    My DB loves this one too, so I am sending it to him canned once I figure out how! LOL.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would like to try this, but Dh can't drink Guiness AND eat at the same time. It fills him up. That stuff is a whole meal. What would I do with the rest of the beer?
  6. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarianna View Post
    I would like to try this, but Dh can't drink Guiness AND eat at the same time. It fills him up. That stuff is a whole meal. What would I do with the rest of the beer?
    Their bottles are 330 mL which is about 11 oz. I'd say that's close enough to the 10 oz. you need for the recipe. You could just toss a full bottle in there and not have any left over.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    No I mean, what will I do with the rest of the 6 pack? It will just live in my fridge until a day I do not cook for Dh and he is starving. Well actually, we are having a baby soon, maybe I will get 12.
  8. Regular Member
    No I mean, what will I do with the rest of the 6 pack? It will just live in my fridge until a day I do not cook for Dh and he is starving. Well actually, we are having a baby soon, maybe I will get 12.
    hmm, well you can always buy just 1 bottle of it, I know some distributors, will sell it by the bottle, just look around, and get only what you need if possible.
  9. Senior Member
    Sounds incredible... forwarded this to DB, as I'm sure this will become a staple in his and Brother's diets! THANKS!
    I miss him so much... but I love him even more. And that makes all the difference!
  10. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    I know Total Wine sells beer by the bottle. I don't know if you have one around, but maybe you have a similar store?

Or you could just refuse to feed the hubster one day.

My 101 blog