Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: French Onion Soup Question...

1. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce

French Onion Soup Question...

Advertisements
    I've been looking at recipes to make this at home but they ALL include wine.

Do I have to use it? Is it going to make a huge difference if I don't?

Does anyone have a good, quick and easy way to make french onion soup?

2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devilwhiterose View Post
    I've been looking at recipes to make this at home but they ALL include wine.

Do I have to use it? Is it going to make a huge difference if I don't?

Does anyone have a good, quick and easy way to make french onion soup?

Wow, this is a very late response, but no, you don't have to use wine. Just use additional beef stock.

I used to go for quick, easy techniques for French onion soup until I had a friend make it the traditional way. Which involves a massive amount of onions cooked down and carmelized, deglazed with wine/beef stock, and cooked and carmelized and deglazed again. And again. And again.

OMG! Once I had it that way I just can't bring myself to use an easy receipe again. It takes longer and more effort, but the results are magnificent!
  3. Senior Member
    I have the fastest easiest recipe and everyone that tries it loves it.

Boil 6 cups of water with 6 beef bouillon cubes. Cut 6 large white onions and saute them in 4 tbs. butter. Season with salt and pepper. Mix onions in broth. Serve in crocks topped with hard crusty bread and a slice of provolone cheese and bake until cheese is melted and gooey.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SquareBottle View Post
    Wow, this is a very late response, but no, you don't have to use wine. Just use additional beef stock.

I used to go for quick, easy techniques for French onion soup until I had a friend make it the traditional way. Which involves a massive amount of onions cooked down and carmelized, deglazed with wine/beef stock, and cooked and carmelized and deglazed again. And again. And again.

OMG! Once I had it that way I just can't bring myself to use an easy receipe again. It takes longer and more effort, but the results are magnificent!
    I've made it that way a few times too and its soooo much better but I enjoy the quick stuff too.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsparkles2001 View Post
    I've made it that way a few times too and its soooo much better but I enjoy the quick stuff too.
    Your quick receipe looks great. And I haven't made French onion soup much at all now that I use the long approach. Maybe I should break down and give your receipe a try!

Bob