Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mean dog

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by d12 View Post
    I am really big on "my dogs live here, you don't" philosophy when it comes to a lot of things.
    I can relate to the above statement.

I think you have to remember that this is also about protecting the dog. You can watch kids & the dog closely but a dog bite happens in a flash and most of us can't move as quickly as the dog can. If the dog bites your child (or your child were to harm the dog, whichever) you and she may have issues forevermore. Guilt, fault, liability, it all gets messy. She could end up with legal issues and there is a risk of her losing her furry child. You could end up with an injured human child. If your child gets harmed, will you blame her? Will your DH? That is a lot to risk. A permanent risk to a relationship over a temporary visit.
    If you have a close relationship with your sister- preserve it. Talk to her.

Remind her that this dog's home is going to be invaded by lots of people, some kids, some adults, and that is a lot of stress on a dog. Dogs like routine and calm and you are about to upset that. An upset dog is not good for the dog or anyone else.
    If you can stay at a hotel that is a great idea if finances allow. Can she keep her canine son closed up so everyone is not stressed about the "what if" situation? If the pup sleeps in the bedroom, maybe that is a good place for the hours your kids are there but be sure to somehow physically block the door so your kids don't open it. In my experience, when you surprise/scare a dog that is the most dangerous time. Focus on prevention, don't ignore the risk.

My best suggestion is from your post. You mentioned < their friend's chocolate lab, who they switch dog sitting with> Can the friend keep the dog while y'all are there? You could offer to help cover the cost of the dog sitting fees. Seems like the safest solution.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeHappens View Post
    I can relate to the above statement.

I think you have to remember that this is also about protecting the dog. You can watch kids & the dog closely but a dog bite happens in a flash and most of us can't move as quickly as the dog can. If the dog bites your child (or your child were to harm the dog, whichever) you and she may have issues forevermore. Guilt, fault, liability, it all gets messy. She could end up with legal issues and there is a risk of her losing her furry child. You could end up with an injured human child. If your child gets harmed, will you blame her? Will your DH? That is a lot to risk. A permanent risk to a relationship over a temporary visit.
    If you have a close relationship with your sister- preserve it. Talk to her.

Remind her that this dog's home is going to be invaded by lots of people, some kids, some adults, and that is a lot of stress on a dog. Dogs like routine and calm and you are about to upset that. An upset dog is not good for the dog or anyone else.
    If you can stay at a hotel that is a great idea if finances allow. Can she keep her canine son closed up so everyone is not stressed about the "what if" situation? If the pup sleeps in the bedroom, maybe that is a good place for the hours your kids are there but be sure to somehow physically block the door so your kids don't open it. In my experience, when you surprise/scare a dog that is the most dangerous time. Focus on prevention, don't ignore the risk.

My best suggestion is from your post. You mentioned < their friend's chocolate lab, who they switch dog sitting with> Can the friend keep the dog while y'all are there? You could offer to help cover the cost of the dog sitting fees. Seems like the safest solution.
    Him visiting the chocolate lab seems like a solution that everyone would be happy with.
    Her friend doesn't charge, they just watch the lab and trade off.

I think the reality of the situation is sinking in, she bought a muzzle for taking him to and from training. Hopefully it is something that can be made easier for her, but I'm not going to trust him around my kids again.
  3. Regular Member

good

I hope the pup gets less stressed. Often when a dog has a change in behavior, you have an unhappy pup.
    I am glad there is a solution.
  4. Senior Member
    It went well enough. The dog who has issues had no problems and he was kept separated from the kids the majority of the visit. The other dog, who has had *no* issues ended up growling at my two year old. She had tried to hug him when my sister let the dog into the bed when she was reading to my kids. This was the last visit in the foreseeable future, so we don't have to worry about it for a while.
    We will still teach the kids how to treat dogs, but I'm so grateful for our guy who loves his babies.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123