Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: He got orders, what do we need to do?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    Wow. I'm kind of in disbelief this isn't going to put us back in the poor house. thank you
    I've found that if we are careful, we end up making money on moves. Even if you don't get DLA, the per diem is pretty generous. If you eat out every night on the road, it's pricey, but if you buy at a grocery store and keep it in a cooler, IME it doesn't cost anywhere near the per diem. Anyway, if you are careful, you can probably pocket a lot of that meal money.

According to this article (which isn't an official source), your DH will get $85, you and any kids over 12 will get 75% of that, and kids under 12 will get 50%. Confirm with an official Navy source. Also, the article has a bunch of other possible allowances and links to info.

How many days of per diem (and paid hotel--TLE) will depend on how many miles you are moving. I'm not 100% sure how it works for an initial PCS. Another question to ask to make sure you get correct info.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I've found that if we are careful, we end up making money on moves.
    I was going to say the same thing. Medic2Doula, especially because you have children and you get moving money for each of them, if you plan it correctly, you should make some money. Oh and another thing, your DH will be given X number of days to make the drive and the amount you receive for hotels and food will be based on the number of days you actually take and you will not receive the entire amount if you take fewer days to make the drive. So, don't rush the drive thinking you will make more money that way.
  3. Regular Member

Looking at orders dated yesterday

Not sure if yours are the same, but I am looking at a set of orders that were just issued and the nice thing is it provides a lot of information. The orders list the amount of weight (in pounds) that can be moved, the maximum number of miles to travel per day, the mileage reimbursement rate, the per diem, etc.. Like others have stated, the per diem is more than most people spend, unless you like fancy restaurants after a day in the car. If you are allowed 4 days to make the trip, take 4 days - no reason to make it harder on yourself and give up the extra per diem. I am sure the amounts vary but the boxes filled with the info may be the same.
    I have to admit I was shocked at the expected cost for a cross country move. Makes you wonder why the government moves people so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    Dh just received his orders, we will be headed to San Diego, what do we do now? What's the deal with housing? What do I need to do to move? ANY advice is appreciated. Although we were dating his whole first stint of active duty, I never moved with him, we weren't married/no kids, and he never owned enough crap to require a real move.
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Welcome to paradise~!~~

That said, with 4 kiddos and a big doggo, you'll definitely be better off living in base housing. It would be very difficult for you to find something reasonable at the e-5 w/dependents rate that allows big doggos.

What's his command? A ship or is it a shore duty?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeHappens View Post
    Not sure if yours are the same, but I am looking at a set of orders that were just issued and the nice thing is it provides a lot of information. The orders list the amount of weight (in pounds) that can be moved, the maximum number of miles to travel per day, the mileage reimbursement rate, the per diem, etc.. Like others have stated, the per diem is more than most people spend, unless you like fancy restaurants after a day in the car. If you are allowed 4 days to make the trip, take 4 days - no reason to make it harder on yourself and give up the extra per diem. I am sure the amounts vary but the boxes filled with the info may be the same.
    I have to admit I was shocked at the expected cost for a cross country move. Makes you wonder why the government moves people so often.
    he hasn't gotten written orders yet, just verbal.
    I don't think nervous is the right word....
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123