Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Buy A Breed

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Fantastic info. I'm curious how this translates to rescues and adopting. I have two rescues and am constantly amazed by how lucky I am. Their temperaments are exactly suited to our lifestyle. However, breed is often unknown or somewhat "guesswork." Even when they know the breed, sometimes the mix of breeds makes for a new personality. You would think that my new puppy would be incredibly high energy because he's a border collie German shepherd mix--but daily walks and playing with our other dog plus some clicker training is plenty to keep him physically and mentally stimulated.

I guess I'm wondering if there's a way to evaluate temperament for rescues (particularly puppies) before people get them home. I see so many people taking their newly adopted dogs back to the rescue because of temperament issues.
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Awesome thread. Thank you for posting this.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Fantastic info. I'm curious how this translates to rescues and adopting. I have two rescues and am constantly amazed by how lucky I am. Their temperaments are exactly suited to our lifestyle. However, breed is often unknown or somewhat "guesswork." Even when they know the breed, sometimes the mix of breeds makes for a new personality. You would think that my new puppy would be incredibly high energy because he's a border collie German shepherd mix--but daily walks and playing with our other dog plus some clicker training is plenty to keep him physically and mentally stimulated.

I guess I'm wondering if there's a way to evaluate temperament for rescues (particularly puppies) before people get them home. I see so many people taking their newly adopted dogs back to the rescue because of temperament issues.
    Most good shelters/rescues will temperament test the dogs. That way they can tell potential adopters "good with kids" "must be only pet in home" "territorial" etc. That's how I've always seen it, so you know exactly what you are getting into (for the most part). Only types of places that I see that don't really do this are animal control type facilities.
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Last time I will be bumping this bad boy for a few months, just so more people can see
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Love this Great information but another thing that might be good to add in about the good breeders you want to get your new FURRY friend from is that some will want to come to your home. Making sure it is safe and they will come by every once in a while. A breeder I know (she breeds Great Danes) goes to the homes of the owners she sold her dogs to until the dogs lived out their years. She keeps in close contacts and if any abnormality or illness that may have a genetic background she wants all the information. But those breeders are hard to come by.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Great post! I have some really good rescue near me, who do lifestyle and personality checks, then marry up the suitable dog to the people, rather then the other way round.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    One correction. DON'T buy a dog from a breeder. Go to your local rescue or kill shelter and rescue one of those poor souls that need a good home! Mutts can be wonderful friends.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    One correction. DON'T buy a dog from a breeder. Go to your local rescue or kill shelter and rescue one of those poor souls that need a good home! Mutts can be wonderful friends.
  9. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    I agree! Mutts are awesome dogs! But if you have your heart set on a specific breed of dog it can be hard to find them in a shelter or local rescue group. I think its perfectly fine to get a dog from a breeder as long as that person breeds in an ethical and responsible way.
  10. Senior Member
    I didn't see this before. As someone currently struggling with even considering a non-rescue dog, it was super informative. I don't know that I'll bring myself to buy a dog, but if I do, I'll definitely refer back to this.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12