Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog food recommendations...

1. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Advertisements
    My dogs are on Adult Pedigree small crunchy bits and I'll occasionally put a raw cracked egg in the food to help with the skin and coat.

If his dry skin is seasonal...try that. Be prepared that changing his food can cause diarrhea...
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i am all about products with value. thus far, the best value i've found in dog food is nutra nuggets lamb meal & rice formula. i buy it at fred meyer & i've heard it's also available at costco. it's $22 for 40 lbs. http://www.nutranuggets.com/

ingredients list:
    Lamb meal, peas, wheat flour, rice bran, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

i'm considering adding fish oil to lu's food. she's always got a dry skin problem going on.
  3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    i am all about products with value. thus far, the best value i've found in dog food is nutra nuggets lamb meal & rice formula. i buy it at fred meyer & i've heard it's also available at costco. it's $22 for 40 lbs. http://www.nutranuggets.com/

ingredients list:
    Lamb meal, peas, wheat flour, rice bran, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

i'm considering adding fish oil to lu's food. she's always got a dry skin problem going on.

Does nutro have a fish formula? Once I switched Stormy to the Eagle Pack Holistics with the fish her dry skin went away finally.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    Does nutro have a fish formula? Once I switched Stormy to the Eagle Pack Holistics with the fish her dry skin went away finally.
    Nutro, and the brand RC are talking about are two different things.
    Nutra Nuggets http://www.nutranuggets.com/
    Nutro http://www.nutroproducts.com/

I would never switch back to nutro, and we had our pets on Nutro for years. Now that I have researched it so much, I regret ever having them on it For the cost of their products, the ingredients don't measure up.

RC- the brand you are talking about looks REALLY good for that price! WOW, that is 1/2 what I pay for the Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Fish limited ingredient allergy formula. I haven't even seen that brand you posted around here but I am going to look into it now. Thanks for posting that link!

5. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by JustBreathe View Post
    Nutro, and the brand RC are talking about are two different things.
    Nutra Nuggets http://www.nutranuggets.com/
    Nutro http://www.nutroproducts.com/

I would never switch back to nutro, and we had our pets on Nutro for years. Now that I have researched it so much, I regret ever having them on it For the cost of their products, the ingredients don't measure up.

RC- the brand you are talking about looks REALLY good for that price! WOW, that is 1/2 what I pay for the Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Fish limited ingredient allergy formula. I haven't even seen that brand you posted around here but I am going to look into it now. Thanks for posting that link!

Oh, I didn't really pay attention to the name, I was just wondering if they had a fish formula I've never seen that one and I've never used Nutro
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

No, I don't think nutra nuggets has a fish formula. They've got a puppy and high performance. Justbreathe, they have a dealer locator on their website. I saw it at fred meyer, liked the price, read the label and went . My search was over! Then I learned that dani and petsparkle were both using it. Dani had been using it for awhile and petsparkle had just switched. I like it.

I used to give lu evoo for her dry skin. I think the main issue is her genes. She just doesn't have a quality coat or hide.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It looks like you have plenty of options but we feed Halo.

My dog loves it
  8. Trophy Wife in Training
    Trophy Wife in Training
    Here's a good website with different tools that can help you pick out a good food for your dog: http://www.naturapet.com/tools/

It discusses what different ingredients mean, and there is another part where you can do a comparison between foods.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRed911 View Post
    I've been hearing not so good things lately about Nutro, actually.

In general, though, I'd recommend a fish-based food and add some high quality fish oil or flaxseed oil supplements as well.

Table scraps are fine as long as it's lean meats or veggies. No grapes or raisins, onion, or macadamia nuts. I think Avacados are a no no, too.
    The one I just bought is a fish one, 6th ingredient is salmon.... but I may consider the fish oil on top.....

Quote Originally Posted by CarLooSHoo View Post
    The FDA is currently investigating Nutro. I wouldn't go that route.

I looked on the pedigree website for the ingredients in the adult dry food. The first 5 ingredients of any dog food are the most important since that is mostly what is in the food. The first 5 in pedigree adult are Ground Whole Corn, Meat And Bone Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with BHA/BHT), Wheat Mill Run. Those ingredients are NOT GOOD.

Go to your local petstore and look at any bag of dog food and look at the first 5 ingredients. A good dog food will have the first ingredients as anything starting with meal. Example: Chicken meal, turkey meal, or lamb meal. Stay away from by products!
    I need to remember this next time I am at the store. I like how his coat looks so far with the Beneful, so maybe when this bag is gone, I'll wander the aisles of Walmart or the grocery store or Petco and see what I can find that doesn't list by products as a top ingredient.....

THANK YOU ALL for your responses! That has helped me tremendously!
    I've got notes written and next time I'm at the store, I'll be reading some ingredient labels. Right now, the Beneful has visibly helped his skin and coat, but the ingredients are a little less than ideal. So I may consider another switch at some point.... he doesn't have stomach issues, and this food change didn't bother him at all, but I don't want to change him again and have it aggravate his tummy so I think I'll keep my notes, do some research with the websites and info you all have given me (THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!) and probably make a switch once DB gets home and we can discuss together what he'd like to do.....

So one more time, in case you missed it.... THANK YOU!!!! You guys rock. I knew I'd get some good suggestions and info on here.... I really and truly appreciate it.

Yes, this IS my siggy.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kt-did View Post
    My dog has been on Pedigree Adult since we got him. Last year he got really bad dry skin and dandruff around this time. I'm hoping this year will be different, but I want to try him on a different food. He's got an iron clad stomach (he's gotten sugar free cough drops, salt & vinegar chips, Hershey's kisses, and DB gives him table scraps when he's home, usually bits of leftover meat with some fat).

I don't know what really to look for when it comes to choosing a good for him dog food. I was eyeing the Beneful Healthy Coat, but noticed it was by Purina, so I wasn't too sure how the quality would be.....

Can anyone either suggest a good healthy dog food (preferably one that would help his skin & coat) or a site where I can read up on what to look for in a food and compare different ones?

Thanks a ton!!!!

I give my doggie beneful healthy radiance and its AMAZING on his coat! He has a wirey short haired coat and within 2 weeks of feeding him this it has softened him right up AND he loves it he isn't picky about it.

no more ticker!!! Hubby is home!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast