Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FDA finds unsafe levels of cancer causing chemical in Crystal light

1. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries

FDA finds unsafe levels of cancer causing chemical in Crystal light

Advertisements
    I love crystal light, specifically the sunrise classic. This sucks. No more crystal light for me after this. CRAP.

ABC 7 Medical: Benzene In Sodas
    Friday May 19, 2006 5:12pm Reporter: Kathy Fowler

eVideo: ABC 7 Medical: FDA Benzene

-WJLA BROADCAST Script-
    Anchor:
    NOW - A STORY YOU'LL SEE ONLY ON ABC-7 NEWS.
    WE'VE LEARNED THAT THE FDA HAS DISCOVERED HIGH LEVELS OF THE CANCER CAUSING CHEMICAL BENZENE IN A HANDFUL OF DIFFERENT SOFT DRINKS.
    MEDICAL REPORTER KATHY FOWLER FIRST BROKE THIS STORY THREE MONTHS AGO AND JOINS US WITH THIS NEW DEVELOPMENT.

Kathy Fowler on set:
    THE FDA TESTED 80 DIFFERENT PRODUCTS. FOUR TESTED WITH LEVELS OF BENZENE THAT WERE WELL ABOVE THE FEDERAL SAFE LIMIT IN WATER.

THE FDA SAYS THE SOFT DRINK MANUFACTURERS WERE NOTIFIED, BUT SAY THERE WAS NOT A FORMAL RECALL.

Story Script:
    THE FDA TESTED A NUMBER OF PRODUCTS AND TODAY RELEASED INFORMATION ON FOUR POPULAR DRINKS, THAT ACCORDING TO FDA TESTS HAD LEVELS OF BENZENE HIGHER THAN THOSE SET FOR WATER.

BENZENE IS A WELL KNOWN HUMAN CARCINOGEN. IF IT'S DISCOVERED IN WATER AT LEVELS HIGHER THAN 5 PARTS PER BILLION THE PUBLIC MUST BE NOTIFIED THE WATER IS UNSAFE TO DRINK. ACCORDING TO MOST RECENT FDA TESTS, CRYSTAL LIGHT SUNRISE CLASSIC HAD 87 PPB OF BENZENE. THAT'S 17 TIMES THE FEDERAL SAFE LIMIT FOR WATER.

THE OTHER DRINKS, GIANTS LIGHT CRANBERRY JUICE COCKTAIL, SAFEWAY SELECTS DIET ORANGE AND AQUACAL STRAWBERRY FLAVORED WATER ALL HAD HIGH LEVELS OF BENZENE.
    Dr. Laura Tarantinio, Food And Drug Administration: "The company's have already reformulated or are in the process of reformulating. There are a number of things that companies can do to minimize or completely eliminate the formulation of benzene."

Kathy Fowler: "Why not just pull them off the shelves and do what other countires do recall them?"

Dr. Tarantinio: "A recall was not the best approach the real approach is to make sure we get products off the market in teh future for the long term so that benzene isn't formed in the first place."

CRTICS ARE GLAD THE FDA IS RELEASING THEIR RESULTS BUT SAY THEY SHOULD DO MORE.

Richard Wiles: "FDA should be a real public health agency and THAT really protects the public instead of trying to make a deal with industry every time they find an unsafe contaminant in food. That's what they're doing here they're going to maybe notify the public of a short list of drinks that have high levels of benzene they're not going to take those drinks off the shelves."

Kathy Fowler on set:
    THE FDA AND THE AMERICAN BEVERAGE ASSOCIATION SAY THESE LEVELS OF BENZENE POSE NO PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS.

GIANT SAYS AFTER IT WAS CONTACTED BY THE FDA, THE PRODUCT IS BEING REFORMULATED AND THE NEW DRINK WILL BE ON THE MARKET WITHIN 2 MONTHS.

WE LEFT MESSAGES WITH THE OTHER MANUFACTURERS. WHEN WE GET THEIR COMMENTS WE WILL PLACE THEM ON OUR WEB SITE ALONG WITH THE FDA TEST RESULTS ALREADY POSTED AT WJLA.COM FOR MORE INFORMATION YOU CAN LOG ONTO http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/benzdata.html
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed

3. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    Holy Sh*t! I'm glad I don't drink Crystal Light. If this is the case, shouldn't the product be taken off the market?
  4. happygirl0486
    Quote Originally Posted by navywife-sweetheart
    Holy Sh*t! I'm glad I don't drink Crystal Light. If this is the case, shouldn't the product be taken off the market?
  5. Shia
    Wow. I love Crystal Light Lemonade. No more for me.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I drink Crystal Light too...that is very scary...I don't drink the orange one...I just hope that it's not in the others!!!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed

my ds likes the peach & raspberry teas!
  8. alym
    i've known about that for forever!! the FDA approves everything that's unhealthy for u that's why there's hardley any health food stores here.
    Crystal light does that.. anything with sugar-free/ artificial sweeteners..
    equal..splenda..care-free gum.. li hing mui (hawaii candy)
    certain dyes and "sweeteners" in most foods ARE cancerous..
    it's one big FDA conspiracy.
  9. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1638170.shtml

This is a link to an article stating that Kraft pulled Crystal Light earlier this year, then reformulated the mix. Testing after the reformulation indicates less than 1ppb.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Here is some more info:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1449352.shtml

If you do a search, you'll find articles that state that the benzene is present in other things such as forest fires, cigarette smoke, gas, plastics, detergents, pesticides, etc.

To be present in drinks, etc....they have to contain Vitamin C and sodium or potassium benzoate. But just because those ingredients are included does not necessarily mean benzene will also be present. It all depends on how the drinks are stored, how much heat & light they are exposed to, etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast