Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cold Winter Day Soup

1. Senior Member

Hungry Cold Winter Day Soup

Advertisements
    This is one of my all time favorite recipes. I remember making it with my dad and grandpa when we would visit for Christmas when I was really little. And it's still one of my favorites.

Take a whole rotisserie chicken pull off the big pieces of meat. Put the bones and skin in about 6 cups of water with a couple bay leaves, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, basil, and a little allspice. Simmer for about 4 hours. Let cool.
    Pull the remaining meat off the bones (put the meat back into the broth), discard bones (skin is optional, I usually put a little in the soup torn into small pieces, but not all of it).
    Set aside 3.5 cups of broth. Add most of the meat from the chicken into the remaining broth in a big pot.
    Cook 1 cup of wild rice in 2 cups of the broth you set aside (bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes). Add to big pot.
    Cook 1 cup of white rice in the remaining 1.5 cup of broth (bring to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes). Add to big pot.
    In olive oil, saute 3 stalks of celery, half an onion, 3 cloves of diced garlic, a couple cups of mushrooms, and (fresh) basil - all, except the garlic, cut into inch pieces. Add to the big pot.
    Rip/cut the remaining chicken into bite size pieces (I only use about half of it) and add to the pot.
    Whisk a tablespoon of flour or cornstarch into 2 cups of milk or cream (depending on how rich you want it). Add to big pot.
    Season with salt (the rice and chicken will absorb it, so you need more than you might think) and pepper.
    Simmer pot for about an hour. (add more liquid, either water or milk, if you want it soupy - we usually make it really thick, almost the consistency of porridge)
    Cook 3-4 slices of bacon, cut into inch pieces and add to pot.

Enjoy
    Last edited by HazeGray; 12-02-2013 at 02:35 PM.