Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Wasn't sure where to put this..

  1. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    JustMrsJoann's Avatar
    JustMrsJoann is offline
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lusby, MD
    Posts
    5,383
    Blog Entries
    3
    #1

    Wasn't sure where to put this..

    Advertisements
    but, I want to get out of eating so much processed foods and more homemade stuff.

    I usually will throw a pizza in the oven, but, I'd rather make my own.
    I usually give my kid Chef boyrdee (sp) for lunch because it's quick.

    Any ideas, what to cut out, what to keep?

    Anyone have any websites on this? Or ideas?
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  2. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    JustMrsJoann's Avatar
    JustMrsJoann is offline
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lusby, MD
    Posts
    5,383
    Blog Entries
    3
    #2
    I'll put this in the general section as well...
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  3. Senior Member
    leanne's Avatar
    leanne is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    titusville florida
    Posts
    6,364
    Blog Entries
    7
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMrsJoann View Post
    but, I want to get out of eating so much processed foods and more homemade stuff.

    I usually will throw a pizza in the oven, but, I'd rather make my own.
    I usually give my kid Chef boyrdee (sp) for lunch because it's quick.

    Any ideas, what to cut out, what to keep?

    Anyone have any websites on this? Or ideas?
    no idea about websites but if you ever want some quick and easy recipes that will allow you to maintain some kind of schedule. we cut out a lot of processed stuff already and i am veering away from a lot of things we were all accustomed to eating a little to much of.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
  4. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    JustMrsJoann's Avatar
    JustMrsJoann is offline
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lusby, MD
    Posts
    5,383
    Blog Entries
    3
    #4
    .

    send them. i'd love to see them
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  5. Account Closed
    littlebird's Avatar
    littlebird is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Me: Wyoming
    Posts
    2,631
    #5
    Hi there! I absolutely love love love food and cooking and figuring out fun ways to eat a balanced diet, so hopefully you can use some of my favorite tips! Also, foodnetwork.com is my savior -- I use it all the time to get simple, basic recipes that become staples in my kitchen.

    I generally try to eat homemade, whole foods that I make myself -- but it's difficult, I'm not going to lie! The biggest piece of advice I can give is that it takes a lot more time and energy and forethought to do this at first, until you get used to living this kind of lifestyle.

    Some initial thoughts: The freezer is your best friend. A lot of things, like spaghetti sauce, soups, etc., are so easy to take one afternoon/month to make a huge batch of, refrigerate whatever you need for one week, freeze the rest, and thaw as needed. Don't think that you have to go through a lot of trouble for every single meal. Once or twice a month, I make a batch of spaghetti sauce, or a big chicken soup or stew, and eat some right away, and freeze the rest. Also helps at the end of the month when money gets tight to have something ready in the freezer!

    Speaking of spaghetti, whole wheat pasta, olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic, and whatever vegetables I have around, and maybe a little sauteed chicken breast, is my best friend and a go-to meal for something quick, easy, and healthy. It's just as easy as making a box of macaroni and cheese, but so much yummier!

    Another thing I do is make a big salad twice a week and keep in the fridge to eat with dinner every day. Also, bottled salad dressings are a waste of money and full of ingredients you can't pronounce. The basic vinaigrette recipe is 2 parts oil (olive or vegetable, I use a mix of both) to one part vinegar (I usually use red or white wine). Add some minced garlic and salt and pepper, and you're good to go. You can alter this basic recipe in so many ways: I love to add a little bit of honey and dijon mustard for something different.

    As for pizza -- this is so easy, you'll never buy frozen again. You can buy dough from a local pizzeria, usually for very cheap. Just call ahead to make sure they'll sell it, and get a pound or so at a time -- 1 lb = 2 medium thin crust pizzas -- (this also freezes well; freeze in gladware and to thaw, just set it on the counter the morning you want to use it). Make your own pizza sauce with canned tomato sauce (plain old, nothing fancy), powdered garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, basil to taste. Top with pre-shredded mozzarella and your choice of toppings... Voila! Also super fun for kids to help with. Growing up, homemade pizza was our Sunday night ritual.

    I don't have kids, but when I take care of my 3-year-old niece, she generally eats whatever we eat -- no special meals there, so we don't go through a lot of extra preparations. It's usually something homemade for dinner, leftovers for lunch the next day.

    Hope this is helpful/what you were looking for! I love to cook, so ask me if you have any other questions!

    lb
  6. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    JustMrsJoann's Avatar
    JustMrsJoann is offline
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lusby, MD
    Posts
    5,383
    Blog Entries
    3
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebird View Post
    Hi there! I absolutely love love love food and cooking and figuring out fun ways to eat a balanced diet, so hopefully you can use some of my favorite tips! Also, foodnetwork.com is my savior -- I use it all the time to get simple, basic recipes that become staples in my kitchen.

    I generally try to eat homemade, whole foods that I make myself -- but it's difficult, I'm not going to lie! The biggest piece of advice I can give is that it takes a lot more time and energy and forethought to do this at first, until you get used to living this kind of lifestyle.

    Some initial thoughts: The freezer is your best friend. A lot of things, like spaghetti sauce, soups, etc., are so easy to take one afternoon/month to make a huge batch of, refrigerate whatever you need for one week, freeze the rest, and thaw as needed. Don't think that you have to go through a lot of trouble for every single meal. Once or twice a month, I make a batch of spaghetti sauce, or a big chicken soup or stew, and eat some right away, and freeze the rest. Also helps at the end of the month when money gets tight to have something ready in the freezer!

    Speaking of spaghetti, whole wheat pasta, olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic, and whatever vegetables I have around, and maybe a little sauteed chicken breast, is my best friend and a go-to meal for something quick, easy, and healthy. It's just as easy as making a box of macaroni and cheese, but so much yummier!

    Another thing I do is make a big salad twice a week and keep in the fridge to eat with dinner every day. Also, bottled salad dressings are a waste of money and full of ingredients you can't pronounce. The basic vinaigrette recipe is 2 parts oil (olive or vegetable, I use a mix of both) to one part vinegar (I usually use red or white wine). Add some minced garlic and salt and pepper, and you're good to go. You can alter this basic recipe in so many ways: I love to add a little bit of honey and dijon mustard for something different.

    As for pizza -- this is so easy, you'll never buy frozen again. You can buy dough from a local pizzeria, usually for very cheap. Just call ahead to make sure they'll sell it, and get a pound or so at a time -- 1 lb = 2 medium thin crust pizzas -- (this also freezes well; freeze in gladware and to thaw, just set it on the counter the morning you want to use it). Make your own pizza sauce with canned tomato sauce (plain old, nothing fancy), powdered garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, basil to taste. Top with pre-shredded mozzarella and your choice of toppings... Voila! Also super fun for kids to help with. Growing up, homemade pizza was our Sunday night ritual.

    I don't have kids, but when I take care of my 3-year-old niece, she generally eats whatever we eat -- no special meals there, so we don't go through a lot of extra preparations. It's usually something homemade for dinner, leftovers for lunch the next day.

    Hope this is helpful/what you were looking for! I love to cook, so ask me if you have any other questions!

    lb


    Thank you!! I'll get up some questions and ask you tomorrow night. I need to head to bed!

    You rock though!
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  7. Account Closed
    littlebird's Avatar
    littlebird is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Me: Wyoming
    Posts
    2,631
    #7
    Also, you might check out Rachael Ray's stuff (rachaelray.com). A lot of her recipes I could take or leave, but she does make great homemade meals in 30 mins.
  8. Account Closed
    littlebird's Avatar
    littlebird is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Me: Wyoming
    Posts
    2,631
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMrsJoann View Post
    Thank you!! I'll get up some questions and ask you tomorrow night. I need to head to bed!

    You rock though!
    Thanks! Gnight!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •