Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reduced-fat, reduced sodium, etc

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Yeah, I know. We're pretty good at reading the nutritional statements, though.

Also, things that claim to be sugar-free, usually have sugar alcohols (sorbitol, mannitol, etc), which dont' help diabetics too much.

I might have to add some of the diabetic recipes to the recipe forum here. I am really surprised at how good this stuff is. I've always been a pretty good cook so I've known how to prepare decent emals, but now that we HAVE to eat them, it's great to find recies that use ingredients I hadn't thought of putting together before.
    I was going to mention that myself. Also, sugar-free doesn't mean carb-free, and for diabetics, both Type 1 and Type 2, carbs are a major reason blood sugars will raise.
  2. SNK
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by devilwhiterose View Post
    I tried green bean casserole and tuna casserole and they were really liquidy!
    I've made green bean casserole and the other night I made chicken divan and none of them were watery...

I wonder why we have had such different experiences? that's so weird!
  3. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by SNK View Post
    I've made green bean casserole and the other night I made chicken divan and none of them were watery...

I wonder why we have had such different experiences? that's so weird!
    Could have been a bad can maybe. I dunno, I used regular Campbells Cream of Mushroom my whole life and bought the other stuff because it was on sale (and I'm el cheapo. ) And it wasn't that good. I swore I'd never buy again. hehe

I wonder if I should try it again...
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Yeah, I know. We're pretty good at reading the nutritional statements, though.

Also, things that claim to be sugar-free, usually have sugar alcohols (sorbitol, mannitol, etc), which dont' help diabetics too much.

I might have to add some of the diabetic recipes to the recipe forum here. I am really surprised at how good this stuff is. I've always been a pretty good cook so I've known how to prepare decent emals, but now that we HAVE to eat them, it's great to find recies that use ingredients I hadn't thought of putting together before.

Not to mention the nasty side effects of sorbitol, maltitol, etc. Not nice.

Please do add the recipes. I'd probably make most of them!
  5. SNK
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by devilwhiterose View Post
    Could have been a bad can maybe. I dunno, I used regular Campbells Cream of Mushroom my whole life and bought the other stuff because it was on sale (and I'm el cheapo. ) And it wasn't that good. I swore I'd never buy again. hehe

I wonder if I should try it again...
    Another thing is... I've really never used Regular cream of mushroom. I just started really cooking about 2 years ago and I'm a health nut so all I know is the healthy choice stuff... But i really have never had a problem w/ anythign being watery... IDK... I vote... You try it again! **Try it! Try it! Try it! Try it!** (that was supposed to be chanting )
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Pamela* View Post

Please do add the recipes. I'd probably make most of them!
    I'm not diabetic but trying to change my diet. I'll try anything that is low fat/cal/sodium.
  7. SNK
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    [QUOTE=*Pamela*;4833342]

Please do add the recipes. I'd probably make most of them![/QUOTE]

meee too!
  8. Senior Member
    id be interested in some of the recipes eelo since im prediabetic (still dont know what that means really) it would be nice to try some of them out

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunAwayLove View Post
    id be interested in some of the recipes eelo since im prediabetic (still dont know what that means really) it would be nice to try some of them out
    I've added some of the recipes in the Recipe forum, Main Dishes.

The cookbook is called Taste of Home healthy Cooking; it lists a website of tasteofhome.com/healthycooking and it was only supposed to be displayed until Feb 17 (I bought it in mid-March). It includes a section of about 10 soups, and about 15 desserts too. Best $5 i've spent in a long time.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12