Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gov. Shut Down Financial Advice/Tips

1. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    Also, for anyone that has your SO's name on most of the bills like phones. You can get Military suspensions on most of that stuff and not pay anything. Don't even have to say anything other then have your POA in hand and say your SO is deployed(even if he's home it works just got to have the POA witch is easy for him/her to get from Legal with you as the POA.)

Also, we didn't know that for Auto insurance you can suspend it if your SO is deployed and they have a car that is not being driven or a motorcycle that is not ridden they will keep the bare basic coverage on it then suspend your payments. We were paying close to 300 for DH's car issuance before he left, but right now we are only paying bout 14bucks a month.(he has State Farm)
    You can do this with all bills just about apparently, and DH who's been in for over 8 years didn't even know about this till someone on his ship said something. So I thought I'd share.
    I dont know if that works if you have a loan on it though, DB ran into issues with that when he deployed since he used a loan for the car he had to have coverage always and they didnt let him suspend it because of the loan. It couldve just been his insurance I dont remember maybe it was USAA? But its a good thing to call and try as long as youre not driving the car uninsured!
  2. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleLove View Post
    For the internet/cable disconnection: If you have a contract there will be a disconnection fee (because you broke your contract) otherwise you shouldn't have to worry. I know when I tried to cancel my internet early it was an outrageous fee.

To try and cut corners:

- keep thermostat at 78-80 during those hot months (trust me it is comfortable, and you will save a lot of money instead of keeping it at 75 or lower) and use ceiling fans if they are available.
    - only wash clothes or use the dishwasher for a FULL LOAD
    - if you can hang clothes to dry: your dryer actually uses A LOT of electricity so it can really help your electric bill
    - take showers instead of baths
    - cut back your internet/cable plan (don't take it away completely but downgrade) yes the slower internet may be a little irritating but it will save you $$ and honestly do you really need more than basic cable?
    - get rid of the data plan on your phone...IT IS NOT A NECESSITY and it can save you as much as $50 a month
    - Try to only buy items with coupons (I know there are essentials that you HAVE TO HAVE) but everything else can be bought with a coupon - and go on double coupon days if they have them
    - SHUT DOWN your computer when it is not in use...it really does use a lot more electricity than you think
    - Use natural light whenever possible
    - Make your kids become the "light police" they can get really into it and you can save money by having them remember to turn off the lights whenever they leave a room
    Also, unplug EVERYTHING like microwaves, Ovens, and anything like phone charges that do not NEED to be plugged in at all times.

I've been even unplugging out alarm clock for months and just plugging it in when I need to go some where.
    Signature removed due to size.
  3. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyGirlfriend-x View Post
    I dont know if that works if you have a loan on it though, DB ran into issues with that when he deployed since he used a loan for the car he had to have coverage always and they didnt let him suspend it because of the loan. It couldve just been his insurance I dont remember maybe it was USAA? But its a good thing to call and try as long as youre not driving the car uninsured!
    DH has a 2009 he got BRAND new and we owe over 13k on it still(DH took out a new car loan on it when he got it) It does work even for cars with loans as long as it's not being driven and it's in a "safe area"

DH's car has like basic coverage still if something was to fall on it, someone was to break into, and so on so it's still "covered" s long as it's not being driven at all. State farm was more then willing to do it over the phone with me I didn't even have to fax them/show anyone a POA. :shurg

So as long as it's sitting still and he/no one else drives it it's fine from what I have been told/understand. They don't take everything off normally and I herd even USA does it.
  4. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    DH has a 2009 he got BRAND new and we owe over 13k on it still(DH took out a new car loan on it when he got it) It does work even for cars with loans as long as it's not being driven and it's in a "safe area"

DH's car has like basic coverage still if something was to fall on it, someone was to break into, and so on so it's still "covered" s long as it's not being driven at all. State farm was more then willing to do it over the phone with me I didn't even have to fax them/show anyone a POA. :shurg

So as long as it's sitting still and he/no one else drives it it's fine from what I have been told/understand. They don't take everything off normally and I herd even USA does it.
    it couldve been a through his bank issue, DB is always having troubles with his bank yet he wont switch. I dont know for sure where his insurance is through I thought USA but I I just remember he did still have to make his car payment and insurance and he was bumed/ticked he had too. But if you can suspend while deployed its awesome, but just dont drive the uninsured car yourself
  5. Senior Member
    this isn't something that you can do but it's still help. If you have Navy Fed, they're going to help out:

VIENNA, Va., April 7, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Navy Federal Credit Union, the world's largest credit union, announced its plans today for supporting its members in the event of a possible government shutdown as of midnight April 8.

"We're hopeful that Congress and the White House will come to an agreement to avoid a shutdown," said Cutler Dawson, Navy Federal President and CEO. "At the same time, we want to support our members—especially our active duty military members—through this potentially challenging time. We want to ensure, to the extent possible, that our military families do not suffer financially in the wake of a political impasse." Dawson went on to list steps Navy Federal is taking.

One major initiative is to cover the April 15 payroll for those active duty members who have their direct deposit of pay at Navy Federal. "By covering the mid-month pay, come April 15 our active duty members will not see a difference in their direct deposit amount, as if there were no shutdown," added Dawson.

Other steps Navy Federal is taking include expedited approvals for lines of credit, overdraft programs and credit card limits. Credit union officials reported that many members were already taking advantage of its recently announced 0%, no fee balance transfer credit card offer.

In anticipation of member concerns about loans payments, Navy Federal is inviting members to call or visit a branch for personal assistance.

"For over 75 years, Navy Federal has been there to serve its members' financial needs. If a government shutdown does occur, we want them to know that their credit union has programs in place to help them in this time of uncertainty," concluded Dawson.

6. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    it couldve been a through his bank issue, DB is always having troubles with his bank yet he wont switch. I dont know for sure where his insurance is through I thought USA but I I just remember he did still have to make his car payment and insurance and he was bumed/ticked he had too. But if you can suspend while deployed its awesome, but just dont drive the uninsured car yourself
    See we still make his car payments we have to pay the bank monthly for the car and well we didn't ask them. Then again we have Navy fed so I'd hope they'd be more understanding of that kinda thing. I just called the insurance agent in Florida and said something along the lines of "Do y'all offer Military suspensions?" and when they said yes all I had to have was his last name, policy number, give my name stating I was his wife, and then his agent said "Okay it's taken car of it still is covered for being broken into, and for things like stuff falling on it/banging into since you don't want it where it's not covered at all. (The state farm gent DH is assigned in Florida we're in CA so this was not face to face I just called didn't even go into one of the local State farm places to show them anything.)

Then the guy sis thank your husband for his service for me and have a nice day. Then he hung up and that was it no PO needed or anything. I couldn't drive it if I wanted to it's stick ad DH tried to teach me but I failed to learn. Thus why he got me a second car so I'd have something to get around in with DD
  7. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    SAVE WATER!!!

-Don’t flush... Unless you have to! Seriously, if it's yellow let it mellow if it's brown flush it down!

-Make sure that your dishwasher is full and well stacked before running it

-Don’t keep the water running when you are washing your hands or brushing your teeth. Turn it off until you need it! Same with washing dishes.

-Take shorter showers and mindful baths, with as little water as possible

-Instead of pouring old water bottles, or cups of water out, use that water for your pets or plants

-Heat up water in an electric tea kettle in your bathroom instead of running the sink until the water gets hot

-If you soak beans overnight, use the soaking water for your plants

You can also cut down your water bill by putting this thing in the back of your tank so it uses less water (does anyone know what its called? Its slipping my mind atm)
    -Make your toilet more eco friendly...........
    All you have to do is save a 20 oz. water bottle, remove any plastic or paper from the outside of it and then fill it partially with sand, dirt, pebbles or gravel (if you can’t find any of those materials around your house, just fill the bottle partially with water!). Make sure to seal the bottle tightly before placing it in your toilet tank. Then carefully lower the bottle into the tank and put the lid of the toilet back on. Here is an article about it. According to this article "A sealed half-gallon water container installed in the tank will save a half gallon of water per flush...a family of five that flushes five times a day each -- the national average -- will save 350 gallons of water each month." That's a lot of water!

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

mypay

just checked mypay...
    only getting half a check on the 15th.

smh
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    db too
  10. Senior Member
    http://www.dfas.mil/downloads/shutdownfaq.pdf

Essentially, we are guaranteed the pay from April 1-8 and that is what will be going through, no matter what. If the shut down does not happen, there is a chance some/all of us will be paid this next paycheck in 2 installments because they are setting up the half pay now.

Better than absolutely nothing, IMO. I know it's not the ideal situation, but it could always be worse.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast