Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Much needed advice on What to expect if thinking about getting married???

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Love Much needed advice on What to expect if thinking about getting married???

Advertisements
    My boyfriend and I are talking more seriously about going to the next step and getting hitched. He wants me to be on base with him and I want to be with him as well. Only issue is, I know nothing about what would be necessary in order to go about this or what all the other steps would be in order to get this done and done correctly. I have one of his friends wives as support and help and she is very helpful but I just want to make sure all my bases are covered. Does anyone know any pointers or know of any sites that would be helpful in my journey. I am certanily waaayyy out of my playing field right now and any comment or advice would be appreciated.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaRayna View Post
    My boyfriend and I are talking more seriously about going to the next step and getting hitched. He wants me to be on base with him and I want to be with him as well. Only issue is, I know nothing about what would be necessary in order to go about this or what all the other steps would be in order to get this done and done correctly. I have one of his friends wives as support and help and she is very helpful but I just want to make sure all my bases are covered. Does anyone know any pointers or know of any sites that would be helpful in my journey. I am certanily waaayyy out of my playing field right now and any comment or advice would be appreciated.
    Since he's in the Marines he's supposed to notify his chain of command and they'll probably suggest he take a class. The class will provide counseling and tell him what he needs. Most of the paperwork and getting you enrolled in DEERS, Tricare, dental, etc. he'll have to do himself. You'll have to to in with him to get a dependent ID made.

3. Senior Member
    Keep in mind that there is a chance you won't be "on base" with him even after marriage. If base housing isn't available, you don't get it.

Also, I certainly hope you are getting married because you are 100% ready to combine your life with his in nearly all ways, not because you are sad and frustrated that you can't live together.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Get married because you are madly in love and want to be with each other forever. If being physically together is the main push for getting married I wouldn't do it because while marriage might help it doesn't guarantee that you will be able to live nearby.

There isn't much planning, just gather up important documents. ID, birth certificate, medical records
  5. Senior Member
    Not sure what you mean about what is necessary and what steps to take. Basically, you follow the requirements of the state/county where you would be getting married.
  6. Regular Member

20ish?

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaRayna View Post
    My boyfriend and I are talking more seriously about going to the next step and getting hitched. He wants me to be on base with him and I want to be with him as well.
    You are both about 20, correct?
    How long have you dated?
    I am not trying to be a Negative Nancy but marriage is a LOT at that age.
    Be sure you are aware that he could be deployed and you would still not be living together so if the primary goal is to share the same living space, marriage may not accomplish that. My DH spent half of our first year of marriage in one of "those" places. He was there on our 1st anniversary.
    So, be sure you have worked through all the real life parts of the marriage before you work through all the real life parts of the wedding process.
    Just my free advice, which may be worth exactly what you paid for it!
    I do wish you both the very best.
    Semper Fi