Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Wedding Questions!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Wedding Questions!

Advertisements
    Okay! So here is our situation. I am in California and he is in North Carolina. We are getting married in December but I have no clue what to do about a shipping address for the registry. We are planning to live in on base housing but we are not getting that until we actually get married. I heard it is customary for people to start buying gifts as early as three months before the wedding but the problem is we have absolutely no clue what our address will be. So the only options I can think of are 1) Have everyone send everything to my parents' address in CA and pay for everything to be shipped to NC or 2) Ship it to him but he is living in the barracks on base so he will have literally everything in one small room. Which is definitely not ideal. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this a little easier? If that's even possible.
    Also! Are there things that anyone would recommend to have when you move to on base housing? It doesn't have to be exclusively for the registry. Just anything to make the adjustment easier.
    I've only ever attended one wedding so I don't really know how any of this works. Let alone having a fiance in the military. So I'm sure I'll have around a million more questions. Any general wedding planning advice is also appreciated!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ceh629 View Post
    Okay! So here is our situation. I am in California and he is in North Carolina. We are getting married in December but I have no clue what to do about a shipping address for the registry. We are planning to live in on base housing but we are not getting that until we actually get married. I heard it is customary for people to start buying gifts as early as three months before the wedding but the problem is we have absolutely no clue what our address will be. So the only options I can think of are 1) Have everyone send everything to my parents' address in CA and pay for everything to be shipped to NC or 2) Ship it to him but he is living in the barracks on base so he will have literally everything in one small room. Which is definitely not ideal. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this a little easier? If that's even possible.
    Also! Are there things that anyone would recommend to have when you move to on base housing? It doesn't have to be exclusively for the registry. Just anything to make the adjustment easier.
    I've only ever attended one wedding so I don't really know how any of this works. Let alone having a fiance in the military. So I'm sure I'll have around a million more questions. Any general wedding planning advice is also appreciated!
    Which state is the wedding going to be in, California of North Carolina? How many guests?

When you get married you can get on the list for base housing. The location and time of year play a role in how long the wait will be. It can take a few days, to weeks, to months. When DH (Marine) was in North Carolina the wait for housing was a few weeks. Are you planning on moving up immediately or waiting until a house is available? I think waiting is the best idea because there’s a good chance your boyfriend will get kicked out of the barracks once he gets married. Mine did, so he lived with friends off base until we could get a place. I guess the long answer to your question is have them ship to your parents.

Once you move into housing you may need to purchase things like a washing machine and lawn mower. It really depends though because some houses provide washer and dryer and in NC a lot of yards weren’t fenced in so landscapers did the mowing. I recommend starting out small. You can find a lot of nice secondhand furniture on the bases yard sale pages. Don’t feel like you have to compete with your neighbors -- a few couples we knew blew all their money on nice things but they were in debt out their eyeballs – live within your means and buy what you can afford. And remember, you don’t have to buy it all at once.

3. Senior Member
    Could you have them sent to either of your parents and once you are settled have them sent/pick them up?
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Which state is the wedding going to be in, California of North Carolina? How many guests?

When you get married you can get on the list for base housing. The location and time of year play a role in how long the wait will be. It can take a few days, to weeks, to months. When DH (Marine) was in North Carolina the wait for housing was a few weeks. Are you planning on moving up immediately or waiting until a house is available? I think waiting is the best idea because thereís a good chance your boyfriend will get kicked out of the barracks once he gets married. Mine did, so he lived with friends off base until we could get a place. I guess the long answer to your question is have them ship to your parents.

Once you move into housing you may need to purchase things like a washing machine and lawn mower. It really depends though because some houses provide washer and dryer and in NC a lot of yards werenít fenced in so landscapers did the mowing. I recommend starting out small. You can find a lot of nice secondhand furniture on the bases yard sale pages. Donít feel like you have to compete with your neighbors -- a few couples we knew blew all their money on nice things but they were in debt out their eyeballs Ė live within your means and buy what you can afford. And remember, you donít have to buy it all at once.
    The wedding will be in California since this is where we both grew up. It wont be a big wedding just a ceremony and small reception with around 50 guests. I was planing on moving there very soon if not right after we get married and waiting for housing to become available. I'm heading over there for a visit in July so I hope that will give me a better idea of what it is like. Thanks for the advice though. It definitely helped!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    He should find a shipping store in his area where they will accept packages for him, or a self storage place where they will accept packages and store them.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My first thought is to have them sent to him and have him put them in a storage unit until a place opens up.

For housing, we've always needed our own washer and dryer. You may need a lawn mower but that will depend on the type of unit you get. Outside furniture, I'd wait to see what type of unit you get and the size of patio/balcony you have to work with or if you even have one. Not sure about other places, but here, fire pits are not allowed and grills are only allowed in certain areas.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for the advice everyone!