Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding + Immeadiately moving

1. Senior Member

Wedding + Immeadiately moving

Advertisements
    So with getting the ball rolling on wedding stuff, DF and I are stuck in a quandary regarding gift registering. We don't own any household goods. We own bedroom stuff but basically zero kitchen or living room stuff. However, we don't know how to manage getting wedding gifts to the other side of country without paying a ton of money. The movers will have already come to fetch most of DFs stuff before we're married and before the wedding. So, for those of you who have moved immediately moved following your wedding: what did you do? I'm considering telling the bridal party to encourage people to give gift cards but I think some people might see it as weird. Our families are people that are dead-set on giving gifts at weddings, also. Is it weird to return most items then re-purchase them when we get established? Everyone is already asking about it and I don't know what's best for out situation without frustrating guests. Getting married to someone while they're in the military is feeling so complicated Someone give me a brilliant idea, quick!
  2. Senior Member
    Honestly everybody who came KNEW I was moving to Hawaii and I didn't even have to say anything. I'm sure there's a tactful way to request money/gift cards in lieu of physical gifts though considering your situation!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Honestly everybody who came KNEW I was moving to Hawaii and I didn't even have to say anything. I'm sure there's a tactful way to request money/gift cards in lieu of physical gifts though considering your situation!
    True! Maybe if we make it super well known that we're permanently moving after and have the bridal party stress it, it will be fine. I'm probably overthinking this I just get annoyed (in a cute way, not in an aggravated way) that people are already asking if he's home "for good" when he's here on leave.
  4. Senior Member
    My cousin and his wife moved across the country (from NC to CA) the week after they got married. They asked that people give them gift cards and for their registry lists they put the address of a friend of theirs in CA and requested that if people were going to get them gifts that they have the store ship them to the address listed with the registry instead of bringing the gift to the wedding. It worked out pretty well. There were a few people who still brought a gift to the wedding but all of them probably fit in 1 suitcase.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    My cousin and his wife moved across the country (from NC to CA) the week after they got married. They asked that people give them gift cards and for their registry lists they put the address of a friend of theirs in CA and requested that if people were going to get them gifts that they have the store ship them to the address listed with the registry instead of bringing the gift to the wedding. It worked out pretty well. There were a few people who still brought a gift to the wedding but all of them probably fit in 1 suitcase.
    I thought about doing the whole "please send to this address" thing because that would be ideal. Problem is, we won't have an established address or any friends there at that point.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katayoun View Post
    I thought about doing the whole "please send to this address" thing because that would be ideal. Problem is, we won't have an established address or any friends there at that point.
    Yeah that makes it hard. I wonder if you could get a PO box or something. I am not sure if that would work but it's an idea!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Katayoun View Post
    aren't you moving to md?? maybe someone you're close to on here would be willing to hold on to stuff for you?
  8. Senior Member
    We were moving to Germany right after and we just made it known that we preferred money if they brought a gift. We armed all our family with this info so if extended family asked where we were registered they could tell them. It worked, we only got a picture frame and luggage tags as physical gifts
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We got married back in 1998 so times have definitely changed. However when we did get married, I just packed everything in the back of our truck & drove it with me from Texas to Virginia. We only had about 75 people at our wedding so it wasn't like we had gobs & gobs of gifts.

I would just ask for gift cards to the places you intend to register at. If you feel like there is going to be someone that plans on buying you a gift no matter what, maybe put smaller things on your registry that would fit in the back of your vehicle (sheets, towels, etc.). Or you could also plan on just renting a small U-Haul.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  10. Senior Member
    I don't think it's weird to return and rebuy, but it would be a PITA, especially because it sounds like it would have to happen pretty quickly and with a ton of other stuff going on. Can't you just move your pack-out date until after the wedding? It seems like that would be the most simple solution.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast