Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US troops haunted by malaria drug.

1. Senior Member

US troops haunted by malaria drug.

Advertisements
  2. Senior Member
    I read this the other day and I guess I honestly don't understand why he didn't flush the pills. This isn't a mandated 'we're going to watch you swallow it' drug during deployments. If I started tripping balls every time I took a drug I would stop taking it, period. I know there were other stories of one dose changing personalities, but the story that stood out to me was the guy who just kept taking the medication.

Luckily it seems Malarone is the more prescribed drug these days, at least in DH's job field.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

i dont understand why this was so commonly given knowing the side effects when there are so many antimalarial drugs that don't cause anything.
  4. Senior Member
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. If you're having physical/noticeable reactions to a med there's no way I'd keep taking them.

DH has been given Melfoquine for every deployment, he's never taken them.
  5. Senior Member
    I think for DH it is the third option. He has Malarone now, I actually made sure I checked before he left after reading this article.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. Senior Member

I agree with the general consensus. Yes, in the military you're expected to follow orders, but you also need to be smart enough to know when to refuse.

It's unfortunate this guy didn't realize this difference.

7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I forgot which medicine DH took, but I remember him saying he didn't like taking it because it gave him vivid, weird dreams.

I'm surprised we dont' have drugs with fewer side effects tbh. But maybe there's not a whole lot of demand for developing new anti-malaria drugs or something.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I forgot which medicine DH took, but I remember him saying he didn't like taking it because it gave him vivid, weird dreams.

I'm surprised we dont' have drugs with fewer side effects tbh. But maybe there's not a whole lot of demand for developing new anti-malaria drugs or something.
    Most places with lost of malaria don't seem to have lots of money. And drug companies are businesses, at the end of the day.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    The physical changes/reactions you would hope be able to realize are stemming from the meds, but the psychological ones I'd imagine are a little harder to put two and two together when already surrounded by a stressful environment. I wonder how many have been diagnosed with PTSD under the guise of this drug.
  10. Senior Member
    My brother (Marine Corps) told me horror stories about taking the anti-malaria drugs. For him, it wasn't just taking them, but the fact that his corpsman had no idea what the proper dosage was and was giving one pill a day, when they were supposed to be taking one pill A WEEK. After he started getting the vivid nightmares, he stopped taking it altogether. Said he would rather risk getting malaria than have to keep dealing with the night terrors...

Scary...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast