Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. and Afghanistan Agree on Draft Pact Allowing U.S. troops to Remain

1. Senior Member

U.S. and Afghanistan Agree on Draft Pact Allowing U.S. troops to Remain

Advertisements
    War in Afghanistan likely to get longer for U.S. troops | TIME.com

*Sigh* Obviously, the important thing to note is the "draft" part since it's not 100% final. But still....not a surprise but still kind of discouraging.
    "...so have I chosen, both the sweet and the bitter."
    -tolkien-
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Not really surprised
  3. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    No surprise to me

4. Senior Member
    How would this be handled? I mean, obviously 5-10K troops is far less than have been over there but I'm wondering how they would figure out who would deploy. Shorter rotations and more people going more often? Or less people going and long deployments?
    "...so have I chosen, both the sweet and the bitter."
    -tolkien-
  5. Senior Member
    It honestly doesn't shock me either.

6. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzgirl View Post
    How would this be handled? I mean, obviously 5-10K troops is far less than have been over there but I'm wondering how they would figure out who would deploy. Shorter rotations and more people going more often? Or less people going and long deployments?
    I imagine it will be less people for normal length deployments. It wouldn't make sense to make it more people for shorter durations.

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzgirl View Post
    Probably some combination. There is not inconsiderable expense associated with each time commands are rotated in and out. Likely that, plus the time it takes new crews to get fully up to speed, will be weighed against the morale considerations, to settle on an answer.

Like others, I am not surprised by this, nor do I have an issues with it at all. Have a few thousand troops in country is something I always assumed would happen long term.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    not surprised at all..

I would imagine it would be similar to like Saudi or Korea.. short 1-2 year unaccompanied assignments... maybe

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Probably some combination. There is not inconsiderable expense associated with each time commands are rotated in and out. Likely that, plus the time it takes new crews to get fully up to speed, will be weighed against the morale considerations, to settle on an answer.

Like others, I am not surprised by this, nor do I have an issues with it at all. Have a few thousand troops in country is something I always assumed would happen long term.
    These were my thoughts as well. Unsurprised and unperturbed.
  10. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

Ya. I am not at all surprised by this, now does it bug me. We have done this most everywhere we have gone at least for a period of time. Korea, Kuwait, Saudi are all areas we still are in like this and likely always will be. I never anticipated Afghanistan being any different.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast