Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interactive infographic displaying the casualties of our drone program in Pakistan

1. Just another guy
    Just another guy

Interactive infographic displaying the casualties of our drone program in Pakistan

Advertisements
    Out of Sight, Out of Mind: A visualization of drone strikes in Pakistan since 2004

Takes less than 45 seconds of your time to go from start to finish showing the numbers. People should be aware of how our military operates.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I am totally down with drones. Love drones. Cost-efficient, personnel-efficient way of operating. Drones FTW.

ETA: Btw, the "other" is combatants, yes? Just not "high profile" ones. So with "high profile" targets and combatants combined, 77% of those killed by drone strikes have been combatants. And that percentage, if you just look at the last five years (and so as our technology and targeting systems have improved), has drastically improved.
    Last edited by katinahat; 05-19-2013 at 11:53 PM.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Where did the numbers come from?
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    My first question also.
  5. Just another guy
    Just another guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Right on the website.
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Huh I am surprised we have been messing around in Pakistan that much. I guess it's easier to do with drones than with people, although I wouldn't really say that's a good thing either.

Also I'm kind of appalled by 77%. So in 1 in 4 people we kill with drones aren't combatants. I mean, I'm glad it's BETTER but I still think we take an awfully casual attitude toward killing innocent people if it furthers our agendas.
  7. Just another guy
    Just another guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Huh I am surprised we have been messing around in Pakistan that much. I guess it's easier to do with drones than with people, although I wouldn't really say that's a good thing either.

Also I'm kind of appalled by 77%. So in 1 in 4 people we kill with drones aren't combatants. I mean, I'm glad it's BETTER but I still think we take an awfully casual attitude toward killing innocent people if it furthers our agendas.

And thats just Pakistan. I can't imagine how many drone strikes Obama and Pals have executed in other African and Middle Eastern countries since 09.
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Since 04, right?

Oh unless you're singling out Obama ... unfortunately I think this is an issue that is more widespread than just one administration. It'd be nice if could all just point the finger at one dude though.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

But it's not 1 in 4 that we kill. It's 1 in 4 that we have killed over the last 9 years, when drone and tactical missile technology was significantly less advanced than it is now. If you look at the last 5 years, the numbers are significantly lower. I think it's shitty that we kill civilians, but how would it be better to send human pilots? There's all of this ruckus against drones when what people should be upset about is the people saying, "Okay, that intel is good enough. Send 'em in." The issue is NOT the drones themselves. Drones are both cost-efficient and efficient in terms of manpower.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Just another guy
    Just another guy
    Since 04, right?

Oh unless you're singling out Obama ... unfortunately I think this is an issue that is more widespread than just one administration. It'd be nice if could all just point the finger at one dude though.
    Don't be obtuse. We weren't even indiscriminately bombing most nations in Africa before he took over. He's expanded the program something like 400% and brought in entire new countries to lay waste too.

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    But it's not 1 in 4 that we kill. It's 1 in 4 that we have killed over the last 9 years, when drone and tactical missile technology was significantly less advanced than it is now. If you look at the last 5 years, the numbers are significantly lower. I think it's shitty that we kill civilians, but how would it be better to send human pilots? There's all of this ruckus against drones when what people should be upset about is the people saying, "Okay, that intel is good enough. Send 'em in." The issue is NOT the drones themselves. Drones are both cost-efficient and efficient in terms of manpower.
    Obama's administration, at least, considers fighting age males in the vicinity of their strikes and attacks to be combatants. They changed that legal ruling a couple of years ago when they killed a couple of Americans. Don't be his cheerleader on this. If 75% of the victims are considered "combatants" rest assured not only are Americans included in those numbers, but also people who we're priveleged enough to be born male and between the age of 17-45 and also just happened to be in the same area as their HVTs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast