Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afghanistan's "Auswitchz-like" hospital and the Pentagon coverup

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Afghanistan's "Auswitchz-like" hospital and the Pentagon coverup

Advertisements
    WARNING: BOTH ARTICLES CONTAIN GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Afghanistan's 'Auschwitz-like' hospital - Inside Story Americas - Al Jazeera English

Emaciated patients left to die in their hospital beds with open sores and maggots in their wounds. These were the conditions in Afghanistan's Dawood Khan military hospital that were finally uncovered by a few members of the US military in 2010.

The hospital is run by the Afghan government, but it is mainly funded by the US. Its doctors and nurses are also being trained and overseen by the US and NATO.

One US colonel involved in the investigation into the conditions at the hospital described what he saw there as "Auschwitz-like".

Officials began documenting the widespread corruption at the hospital - including stolen pharmaceuticals and counterfeit medicine being used on Afghan soldiers - as far back as 2006.

By 2010, military staff began documenting maggots on open wounds, patients starved for weeks, surgery performed with no sedatives and bedsores so deep that bones showed through.

However, several military officers told a congressional hearing last week that attempts to launch an investigation were prevented by Lieutenant General William Caldwell.

Caldwell was one of the highest-ranking commanders in Afghanistan, and the officers testifying at the hearing allege that he was concerned about the political repercussions of an investigation ahead of the 2010 congressional elections, as well as the effect on his own career.

Lieutenant Colonel Daniel Davis published an 86-page report in January, claiming that US generals in Afghanistan were giving rosy estimates of the situation in the country when, in fact, the opposite was true.

"Senior ranking US military leaders have so distorted the truth when communicating with the US Congress and American people in regards to conditions on the ground in Afghanistan that the truth has become unrecognisable," Davis said. "This deception has damaged America’s credibility among both our allies and enemies, severely limiting our ability to reach a political solution to the war in Afghanistan."
    Posting the warning again, THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC PHOTOS - NOT WORK SAFE OR CHILDREN SAFE

Exclusive: The Pentagon's Shocking Cover-Up Of The Afghan National Military Hospital Scandal

Top U.S. commanders in Afghanistan waged a sophisticated public relations campaign to obscure horrific conditions at the Afghan National Military Hospital, according to former U.S. military officials, Congressional investigators, and new photographic evidence obtained by BuzzFeed.

The revelation is just one of the new details uncovered in a probe that has already triggered two Department of Defense investigations and one hearing by the House's Government Oversight Committee.

BuzzFeed obtained more than 70 images and over 120 field reports and documents that further implicate the command of Gen. William Caldwell in the scandal.

At the time, Caldwell was in charge of NTM-A, or National Training Mission Afghanistan, the $11.2 billion a year program, which included the Dawood National Military Hospital.

"There were glowing stories on NTM-A’s public relations web site about the progress of the [Afghan National Army] medical system," Col. Gerald Carozza, a senior Army lawyer, testified. "With conditions not changing from 2005 to 2010, why did the assessment and public relations reporting show improvement though early 2010 when the reality was clearly different?"

The new information also reveals fresh evidence of neglect at the hospital, possible corruption perpetrated by private Pentagon contractor MPRI, and allegations that top Afghan general Ahmed Yaftali sold 4.5 tons of U.S-purchased medical supplies to Pakistan and embezzled some $20 million in U.S. taxpayer dollars provided to the hospital.

Other documents obtained by BuzzFeed include new details on the Pentagon's efforts to stonewall the investigation — including attempts to keep key details from Congress and efforts to make witnesses unavailable to testify.

Caldwell, now commander of U.S. Army North, has not yet been called before Congress, but a spokesperson for Caldwell has said "all allegations will be proven false."

The images below show the striking contrast between what the U.S. military command in Kabul wanted American audiences to know and the much darker reality of the Dawood National Military Hospital.

I'm glad things are finally coming to light but what an awful, awful story. That Col. leading the investigation must have an awful job trying to sort through all of this, and then on top of it the coverup that was happening at such high levels.

I know it's the same thing all over again, history repeating itself, but it's awful to see it playing out.
  2. Senior Member
    Shouldn't have looked at the photos. People deserve better (imo).
  3. Senior Member
    I can never understand how humans do this and allow this to happen to one another. What the fuck.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I can never understand how humans do this and allow this to happen to one another. What the fuck.
    That's the thing that bothers me most, it's not like one of those "damn we're doing the best we can but we just don't have the resources to maintain a sanitary humane hospital."

Look at how shiny and pretty the hospital looked! One wonders, if they put half the effort into taking care of the sick people as they did in prettying up the hospital and carrying on their little media campaign, would anyone have suffered at all?

I wonder what will become of Gen. Caldwell, is there any sort of modern precedent for this kind of thing?
  5. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I have no words for this except that I hope those poor patients are getting the medical treatment they need

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Very disturbing. Not sure how I feel about this. I might come back and comment once I collect my thoughts.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    That's the thing that bothers me most, it's not like one of those "damn we're doing the best we can but we just don't have the resources to maintain a sanitary humane hospital."

Look at how shiny and pretty the hospital looked! One wonders, if they put half the effort into taking care of the sick people as they did in prettying up the hospital and carrying on their little media campaign, would anyone have suffered at all?

I wonder what will become of Gen. Caldwell, is there any sort of modern precedent for this kind of thing?
    As a nurse, I am sickened and saddened by the condition those patients are in and the lack of treatment they received. Shame on them.
  8. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post

I completely agree. The official photos are SUCH a contrast to the other ones. How horrible for those poor patients!
  9. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    I am HORRIFIED by this. I'm very sensitive to the qualities of patient care and this is abhorrent.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

10. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.
    I have nothing to say that is in any way not R rated. I don't feel sadness. Right now I feel ANGER.

This goes beyond, WAY beyond lacking quality of patient care. This, right there, is torture. Another story of torture and cover-up, and this time I don't think anyone can twist their mouths in claiming those people deserve it (not that anyone EVER deserves that...).

Then again, I have been known to underestimate the capacity of hypocrisy people possess when it comes to the military.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast