Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two US service members killed by Afghan police officer

1. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver

Two US service members killed by Afghan police officer

Advertisements
    Full story: Two US service members killed by Afghan police officer - World News
    Analysis: What's leading Afghan troops to turn on coalition forces? - World News

A newly recruited Afghan village police officer opened fire on his American allies on Friday, minutes after they gave him a new weapon as a present, killing two U.S. service members and another Afghan policeman, officials said.
    It was the latest in a disturbing string of attacks by Afghan security forces on the international troops training them.
    "Two U.S. Forces-Afghanistan service members died this morning as a result of an insider threat attack in Farah province, Afghanistan," Col. Hagen Messer, spokesman for the International Joint Command in the country, told NBC News. "Officials are investigating the incident to determine the facts and as more information becomes available it will be released as appropriate."
    Details remained sketchy, but an official in the Bala Bolok District told NBC News that an Afghan policeman was also killed in the attack.
    The attacker was identified as Mohammad Ismail, a man in his 30s who had joined the Afghan Local Police just five days ago.
    He opened fire during an inauguration ceremony attended by American and Afghan national forces in the Kinisk village in the far western province of Farah, provincial police chief Agha Noor Kemtoz told The Associated Press.
    "As soon as they gave the weapon to Ismail to begin training, suddenly he took the gun and opened fire toward the U.S. soldiers," Kemtoz said.
    From the analysis:
    Who or what is to blame?
    One group that would seem like the obvious culprit is the Taliban. They have claimed to infiltrate the Afghan National Security Forces, consisting of both the military and police, to help kill NATO troops from the inside.
    Last year, the group called on more Afghans in uniform to join their cause and turn their weapons on the “foreign invaders” because of their access and proximity.
    NATO does not deny some of the attacks have been from Taliban insurgency infiltration – but they attribute the trend to more than that.
    “There was infiltration; that is correct, we can acknowledge that,” said Brig. Gen. Gunter Katz, spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force based in Kabul. However, he said most of the attacks could be blamed on more basic warfare issues.
    “The main reasons for those green on blue incidents are personal grievances, stress situations and what we call battle fatigue,” Katz said.
    I wish we'd get the hell out of there.

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed

These stories sadden me in ways I just can't express.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I hate these stories too ... history repeating itself again and people suffering, I wish there was a solution but other than us getting out I don't know what we should do.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Awful.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Time to go...

No more "good" is going to come out of whatever we do there...

www.SnarkyFit.com
  6. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  7. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Heartbreaking!
  8. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

My thoughts and prayers go out to those soldiers families. I agree, time to get out of there.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

9. Senior Member
    He's an afghani police man....the problem is they gave him the gun 5 days into his training! What is with our military that they can't take a page from our own books....look at any police academy in America that trains police officers, I guarantee not a single academy or any organization that trains police officers hands their recruits a live weapon 5 days into training...it just doesn't happen. So why are we doing it in a country where it's more susceptible for our enemies to infiltrate the training programs.
    Give them more than 5 days before you hand them a weapon, gives the instructors more time to trust their recruits....

I love the military but they need some policy changes with their training of the afghan forces and police....it's obviously not working and costing lives (no offense to those who may have SOs that are currently involved in training the afghan forces)
  10. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Sad situation, I do agree with fdnybound though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast