Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: US Destroyer and Oil Tanker Collide

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

US Destroyer and Oil Tanker Collide

Advertisements
    (CNN) -- A U.S. guided missile destroyer was involved in a collision with an oil tanker near the Strait of Hormuz, the U.S. Navy announced.

No one on either the USS Porter or the Japanese-owned M/V Otowasan was injured, the Navy said.

The 505-foot Porter is operating under its own power near the strait, a strategically important chokepoint for oil shipments from the Persian Gulf.

The crew is evaluating the damage, which appeared in photos released by the military to be a large dent in the side.

The Norfolk, Virginia-based ship is part of the U.S. 5th Fleet and left its home port on March 12. The Navy said the accident, which occurred Sunday at about 1 a.m. local time, was not combat-related.
    U.S. destroyer, oil tanker collide - CNN.com

Not sure how this managed to happen!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    I saw this. I was wondering if any of msos so's were onboard. Thankfully it doesn't look too serious.

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
    yeah, after a very long time of not using it I am trying to blog again!
  3. Senior Member
    Welllll, there is one skipper about to lose his command. Terrible that it happened, and I am so glad there were no injuries.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Ouch. Well that looks painful. Glad that no one was hurt! And agree with Judi-- adios to the CO.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    Welllll, there is one skipper about to lose his command. Terrible that it happened, and I am so glad there were no injuries.
    Seriously.

ExDH was on a ship that ran aground once. That CO lost his job mega quick...this is so much worse. I'm also glad no one was hurt.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Oops.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Seriously.

ExDH was on a ship that ran aground once. That CO lost his job mega quick...this is so much worse. I'm also glad no one was hurt.

Depends on the circumstances and who was at fault. If it was the USN ship's fault, yep he will be removed quickly unfortunately.
  8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Beach View Post
    Depends on the circumstances and who was at fault. If it was the USN ship's fault, yep he will be removed quickly unfortunately.
    Of course. I just didn't want to put all the details out about it though. It was a sucky situation, all around, especially since he was a really well liked CO.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Oh man, ouch!! Can you imagine being on the ship when that happened?
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well then! That's pretty amazing ... never seen pics of something like this before, that's quite the fender bender.