Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Ft. Hood shooter fined, may be forced to shave beard before trial

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ft. Hood shooter fined, may be forced to shave beard before trial

Advertisements
    His trial is coming up so it's been in the news a lot around here ... I thought this article was interesting.

Judge orders Hasan's beard shaved before court-martial

A military judge said Wednesday that accused Fort Hood gunman Maj. Nidal Hasan will be forcibly shaved before his Aug. 20 court-martial unless the Army psychiatrist relents and agrees to remove the beard he has grown over the past two months.

Col. Gregory Gross, the judge, also found Hasan to be in contempt for violating Army grooming standards and fined him $1,000.

Gross and Hasan have been at odds over the beard since June, when Hasan appeared in court with facial hair he said he grew because of his Islamic faith. He petitioned Army officials for a religious exemption to grow the beard but was rejected in late June. Since he appeared with the beard, Hasan has watched pretrial proceedings on closed-circuit television from a trailer outside the Fort Hood courtroom.

Gross said Wednesday that he wanted Hasan in the courtroom during the court-martial to avoid a potential appeal. Hasan faces the death penalty on 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the Nov. 5, 2009, mass shooting at Fort Hood.

Army rules say prisoners who refuse to shave "may be restrained with the reasonable force necessary" to apply electric hair clippers and a restraint chair may be used. All uses of force must be videotaped and officials must produce a "detailed written report" afterward.

Also Wednesday, Gross said he would review the classified version of a recently released report on the FBI's failures to stop Hasan before the shooting before deciding whether it should be provided to Hasan's legal team as part of the discovery process. That review found that FBI agents dismissed emails between Hasan and an al Qaeda-linked cleric as legitimate research and balked at interviewing Hasan before the shooting because they thought it might harm his Army career.

Gross also said he would rule later on a defense request for an expert on religion. He did authorize additional funding for defense experts already appointed in jury selection and mitigation, Fort Hood officials said.

Army officials have surrounded the Fort Hood courthouse with dozens of large shipping containers as a security measure in advance of Hasan's court-martial.

Contact Jeremy Schwartz at 912-2942
    It's so weird to think of someone standing trial and still drawing a military paycheck ... I guess I'm just not used to thinking about it that way and it's jarring to me. It doesn't seem right. But, he is innocent until proven guilty, so it does make sense. It's harder for me to be objective in this case though.

I can't wait until the trial is over and justice is served.
  2. Senior Member
    Interesting. I'm surprised they won't give him the shaving waiver since he's muslim. I don't like the guy but don't agree with religious rights being infringed either. But I guess he shaved probably up until the time of the shooting. I dunno.
  3. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Ugh, this is awful.

4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Interesting. I'm surprised they won't give him the shaving waiver since he's muslim. I don't like the guy but don't agree with religious rights being infringed either. But I guess he shaved probably up until the time of the shooting. I dunno.
    I wonder about that too, but I wonder if he ever asked for the waiver ... all the pictures I've seen of him before the incident are of him clean shaven. There have been similar waivers before, Sikhs are allowed to have full beards and can even wear special covers, so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Before I just assumed that he never wanted to grow out a beard, but maybe that was a wrong assumption.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I wonder about that too, but I wonder if he ever asked for the waiver ... all the pictures I've seen of him before the incident are of him clean shaven. There have been similar waivers before, Sikhs are allowed to have full beards and can even wear special covers, so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Before I just assumed that he never wanted to grow out a beard, but maybe that was a wrong assumption.
    I guess it's possible he tried to downplay his Muslim beliefs. No clue. Just find it an interesting battle and I think it could upset people who think he should be granted it for religious reasons.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have a really hard time feeling any amount of compassion for that monster. Dh's unit was hit really hard by 9-05-09. When you know someone struggling with activities of daily living after getting shot in the gut, it's hard to be worried about whether or not the perpetrator can keep his beard

Edit: I hope you don't take take my post as meaning that I don't think it is worth discussing. It's just where I sit with it currently
  7. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I really don't have any sympathy for people who do this sort of thing so I really don't care if they make him shave or not. Tough shit is all I can say.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Katyp View Post
    I have a really hard time feeling any amount of compassion for that monster. Dh's unit was hit really hard by 9-05-09. When you know someone struggling with activities of daily living after getting shot in the gut, it's hard to be worried about whether or not the perpetrator can keep his beard

Edit: I hope you don't take take my post as meaning that I don't think it is worth discussing. It's just where I sit with it currently
    No I know what you mean. It's hard for me to think about it from a totally rational point of view too. I remember when it happened, we were living in Korea but it just scared me because I thought, that could have been DH if we just happened to be stationed there. I'm sorry to hear it hit your DH's unit hard. That would just make it that much harder for me to care, like you say.

I don't know how to feel really, like I said I'm just going to be glad when the trial is over.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I thought about this too, I just figured before the shooting he probably wanted to adhere to normal uniform standards and was okay with not getting the waiver and giving up that part of his religious beliefs. But the article states that he's only been growing it out for 2 months and he's been in jail for almost 3 years. He could have been fighting shaving all along during his imprisonment, I wonder why all of a sudden he decided to start to adhere to military customs and not shave?

The part I found the most interesting was the fact that since he's stopped shaving he's been watching the pre-trial from outside the courtroom and that the judge is insistent upon him being IN the courtroom for the trial to avoid a mistrial and that means forcibly shaving him. I'm taking this to mean that because he isn't adhering to standards he isn't able to be in the courtroom? I can see why the judge is hesitant to allow him to keep his beard if he just started growing it 3 months before his trial rather than growing it all along, knowing that it would prevent him from attending the trial in person and therefore increasing the risk that he gets off.