Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iran: We Can Hit 35 US Bases in Minutes

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Wow Iran: We Can Hit 35 US Bases in Minutes

Advertisements
    Full story here: Iran: We Can Hit 35 US Bases in 'Minutes' - ABC News

"An Iranian military commander said that his country has detailed contingency plans to strike nearly three dozen U.S. military bases in the region should Iran be attacked, local media reported Wednesday... the U.S. has 35 bases around Iran and all are "within the reach of our missiles" and could be hit "in the early minutes after an attack," according to an English-language report from Iran's semi-official Fars News Agency. The bases were no threat but instead an "opportunity" for the Iranian military, Hajizadeh said last month, according to Fars

The United States and Israel have for years been locked in a struggle with Iran over its nuclear enrichment program and the leaders of both the Israeli and American governments have said that any option -- including military action -- was "on the table" should it become clear Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons. Iranian officials have denied the nation seeks nuclear weapons and said Iran is only enriching uranium for domestic nuclear power purposes.

How do you all cope with news like this? My deployed SO is potentially in harms way, and I couldn't possibly feel anymore helpless right now. Yes, this is my first deployment. I'm practically falling apart over here.
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Maybe it's because I lived in Korea for so long, but after a while threats like this just roll off the back. Iran and North Korea like to sabre rattle and say crazy stuff every now and then. NK was always going on about how they could destroy the entire Seoul metropolitan area in minutes. Iran likes to boast about wiping out its nearby rivals. The way DH put it to me is that it's a dance and everyone knows the steps.

I know a first deployment is really hard. DH kept emphasizing to me that I had to trust in him, in his competence and his training that he would come home safe to me. I know that's waaaay easier said than done, but his words brought a lot of comfort to me at the same time. Hang in there.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't think about it. Seriously, I just block it from my mind and don't read the news most of the time. Iran's military is ridiculously outmatched by ours, so I try not to really worry about them.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. Senior Member
    Idk. I guess I'd take comfort in the "if Iran is attacked" part. Try not to worry about what if scenarios.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I don't think about it. Seriously, I just block it from my mind and don't read the news most of the time. Iran's military is ridiculously outmatched by ours, so I try not to really worry about them.

6. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I don't see Iran as a threat.

7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Maybe it's because I lived in Korea for so long, but after a while threats like this just roll off the back. Iran and North Korea like to sabre rattle and say crazy stuff every now and then. NK was always going on about how they could destroy the entire Seoul metropolitan area in minutes. Iran likes to boast about wiping out its nearby rivals. The way DH put it to me is that it's a dance and everyone knows the steps.

I know a first deployment is really hard. DH kept emphasizing to me that I had to trust in him, in his competence and his training that he would come home safe to me. I know that's waaaay easier said than done, but his words brought a lot of comfort to me at the same time. Hang in there.
    Yeah, same here. We lived in Korea for 3 1/2 years located roughly 40 miles from the NK/SK border. Every March and August we would hear about NK saying we were declaring war or provoking them, yada yada yada. However I will say things changed a bit in 2010, NK did more than just "bark."
  8. Senior Member
    First, keep in mind that Iran talks a big game. Chances are decent that this is an exaggeration. There is also the fact that even if they could do this, it doesn't mean they would. They know that were they to do this, chances are they'd be hit back so severely that there would be no Iran left when the dust settled.

Also, even their threat is stated that this would be the result of being attacked. We have not attacked.

Then there is the fact that we also have missile defense systems that are decent at shooting down income missiles. So even if we reached the unlikely point where all this started to go down, those bases are not defenseless against these sort of attacks.

And lastly, after you convince yourself of the extreme un-likelihood of this happening, you just have to move on and live your life. Anything could happen on any day, and yet you don't live in a state of panic that you or your DH might be plowed down by a bus or have a heart attack or get shot in a bank robbery or die in a car accident. You just go on living. And that's what you do about the dangers of war, and the dangers of life--you take a deep breath and go on.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    I look at it as 35 bases can hit Iran

10. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    I look at it as 35 bases can hit Iran
    This.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast