Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunny statue created to honor veteran causes controversy

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Bunny statue created to honor veteran causes controversy

Advertisements
    Rabbit display in Dedham causes controversy - Boston News, Massachusettts News, WHDH-TV 7NEWS WHDH.COM

DEDHAM, Mass. (WHDH) -- A local veterans group is angry over a large bunny on display as part of a public art project meant to raise funds and generate interest in the arts.

The display is next to a veterans memorial.

The sounds of Flag Day were silenced by veterans on parade Thursday.

“Usually we fire in Oakdale Square but we refused to do so,” said Frank Currin, Vietnam veteran.

Vietnam vet Frank Currin held his salute to protest Leroy -- renamed Peace -- a fiberglass bunny sculpture that went on display Sunday just feet away from a veterans memorial.

“Why isn't it down here where the playgrounds are. And they have it sitting right next to the monument,” Currin said.

The piece of public art is one of three bunnies -- soon to be 15 -- on display around Dedham.

The bunny is an iconic symbol of Dedham pottery -- part of the town's history. Leroy was created by an artist and veteran to honor a local vet who died in January.

“It's definitely been discouraging,” one Jennifer Barsamian, co-founder of Dedham Shines.

Dedham Shines says they got permission to put the bunny in the park.

“The committee that put together this monument approved the placement of this rabbit, so we were completely surprised and caught off guard when this happened,” Barsamian said.

Now, many in the town are hopping to the bunny's defense.

“I think it's fun. I think people are making a much bigger deal about it, I think they should be enjoying it,” said Millie Smart.

And even some vets have come to like Leroy.

“When the veterans want to do something, we allow them to do those things. Why can't the town of Dedham put the bunnies that show the spirit of Dedham where they want to go?” said Paul Grimes, a Navy veteran.

Leroy, or Peace, will be the topic of a public hearing on Monday.

Read more: Rabbit display in Dedham causes controversy - Boston News, Massachusettts News, WHDH-TV 7NEWS WHDH.COM
    Thoughts?

As the bunny is part of the town history and was created to honor a local veteran, I don't see the big deal. Protesting it and changing Flag Day celebrations seems like a major overreaction to me.
  2. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    As the bunny is part of the town history and was created to honor a local veteran, I don't see the big deal. Protesting it and changing Flag Day celebrations seems like a major overreaction to me.
    I agree. If the bunny hadn't been part of the history or had no connection with the local veteran I could understand being upset about it..but since there is a reason behind the bunny I don't see the big deal.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  3. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    I think that these men need to get their panties out of a bunch of realize it's a damn bunny. Aren't there bigger issues to deal with than the placement of a friggin bunny? Come on now, seriously?? If it were a lion or something manly, would they feel the same? Doubt it. They're butt hurt that its a harmless little bunny.

be cool.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Its not like its a giant pink cartoon bunny being sarcastic. It makes sense given the history and context so I don't see a problem.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh, Baby♥ View Post
    I think that these men need to get their panties out of a bunch of realize it's a damn bunny. Aren't there bigger issues to deal with than the placement of a friggin bunny? Come on now, seriously?? If it were a lion or something manly, would they feel the same? Doubt it. They're butt hurt that its a harmless little bunny.
  6. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Uh this, totally.
  7. Finally a Pharmacist and Wife to a Civilian!!
    Finally a Pharmacist and Wife to a Civilian!!
    Agree with all of the above. they're being ridiculous, childish, and territorial.
    There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful
    as expectation of something better tomorrow.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Tigger_pink is my MSOS wifey JoJoBannana is my twin
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Sounds like they were more upset about it interrupting Flag Day celebrations. Is the bunny a distraction from the already present Veteran's Memorial? If so, I could understand their angst.

I felt something similar when I saw where they placed the MLK monument here in DC, I felt its placement hindered the Lincoln Memorial. Like, why did they have to place the MLK there of all places? My attitude and thoughts toward it have since changed, but that was my inital reaction... I see the same thing here.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Probably true!

I wonder though, it just seems to odd to protest a memorial made BY a veteran FOR a veteran, a veteran's group to do the protesting I mean ... I realize veterans aren't some monolithic entity but still!
  10. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Sounds like they were more upset about it interrupting Flag Day celebrations. Is the bunny a distraction from the already present Veteran's Memorial? If so, I could understand their angst.

I felt something similar when I saw where they placed the MLK monument here in DC, I felt its placement hindered the Lincoln Memorial. Like, why did they have to place the MLK there of all places? My attitude and thoughts toward it have since changed, but that was my inital reaction... I see the same thing here
    From what the article says it isn't going to be the only bunny..and there was a vote on where it would be placed and such. Some veterans are upset and say it should be closer to the kid's park, which to me says that they're just mad it's a bunny and not something more manly. It was made by a veteran for a veteran...I don't see how it could distract.

As for the MLK monument; it was probably placed there because that is where his famous "I Have a Dream" speech took place.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast