Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Army adds charges against Staff Sgt. Bales

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Army adds charges against Staff Sgt. Bales

Advertisements
    The Army has dropped a murder charge, but added others, including steroid use, against a soldier accused in a deadly shooting rampage in Afghanistan.

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales is now accused of gunning down 16 civilians in pre-dawn raid on two Afghan villages in March.

Bales attorney Emma Scanlan says she received the new charges Friday and there
    is nothing surprising in them.

There had been talk for some time that the number of victims in the massacre had been over-counted by one.

Bales now faces 16 counts of premeditated murder; six of attempted murder; seven of assault; one of possessing steroids; one of using steroids; one of destroying a laptop computer; one of burning bodies; and one of using alcohol.
    Read more: Army adds charges against Afghan shooting suspect Staff Sgt. Bales | Fox News

Thoughts? do you think they should've dropped a murder charge?
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The steroids is new to me. I wonder if that will play a role in his defense at all.

I also remember hearing a lot of rumors about the 17th victim and had been wondering how that would be resolved.

The victims and their families are in my thoughts ... I hope Bales is brought to justice and it can be some comfort to them. Of course nothing can bring those children and family members back.
  3. Senior Member
    I wonder why they dropped the one murder charge? I haven't been following this case but that seems a little odd to me.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I wonder why they dropped the one murder charge? I haven't been following this case but that seems a little odd to me.
    There were a lot of rumors surrounding the 17th victim ... one of them was that one of the women that Bales murdered was pregnant and they were going to charge him for the fetus' death as well.

I'm not sure what exactly was going on with that, I know there was a lot of conflicting info when the case first came out. Al-Jazeera released the names of the casualties and had 16 murder victims, that was the most detail about the victims that I remember reading.
  5. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I found this:

Army Lieutenant Colonel Gary Dangerfield, a spokesman for Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state where Bales was assigned, said the reduction in the number of murder counts stems from the fact that one of the dead Afghan villagers was double counted. "You had the same name twice," he said.

Initial reports from Afghanistan had put the death toll at 16 people, despite the Army's original decision to charge Bales with 17 counts of murder.

The number of murder counts was reduced to 16 only after "extensive interviews of family members" of those shot to confirm there were 16 dead and not 17, Dangerfield said.
    Army drops one charge against soldier accused in Afghan massacre | Reuters
  6. Senior Member
    yes, if they over-charged him with one murder, they should drop that charge. Sounds like he was completely strung out.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    that makes more sense now
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by *Caraa View Post
    that makes more sense now

I wondered if it might be something like that, especially considering that some of the dead were children and burned ... it could be hard to sort through the remains.

Ugh this case makes me sick to my stomach, I will be so glad when this is over and justice is served.
  9. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Here we go. The steroids made me do it. Sigh.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber