Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: cheap car wanted

  1. Old Newbie
    raychul80's Avatar
    raychul80 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    24
    #1

    cheap car wanted

    Advertisements
    I'm looking for a car for around $2000. I am looking for something between 2000-2014, closer to 2010 prefered. Require four doors for kids. CD player and aux input preferred. Can make payments over the next 6-8 weeks. Can put $600 down. Please email me at rmartinez8935@gmail.com
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Jazmine's Avatar
    Jazmine is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,757

    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by raychul80 View Post
    I'm looking for a car for around $2000. I am looking for something between 2000-2014, closer to 2010 prefered. Require four doors for kids. CD player and aux input preferred. Can make payments over the next 6-8 weeks. Can put $600 down. Please email me at ************
    Maybe you should look locally rather than on such a geographically vast forum. Craig's List, cars.com, Carmax and the Lemon Lot on base are good places to start. Best of luck.

    ETA: If a 2010 is going for $2k then it's probably a waste of money. Do you have any family members looking to get rid of a car that would sell it to you for that?
    Last edited by Jazmine; 04-16-2014 at 05:53 PM.
  3. Senior Member
    Candice.'s Avatar
    Candice. is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Both back at home, Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,643
    #3
    You're NOT gonna find that. If you are a real person here my experience, the closest to $2000 we found that ran was $2400, and it was a '97 tercel. And it has some issues still.
  4. Senior Member
    Charlie's Avatar
    Charlie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    632
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice. View Post
    You're NOT gonna find that. If you are a real person here my experience, the closest to $2000 we found that ran was $2400, and it was a '97 tercel. And it has some issues still.
    I got a jeep grand cherokee 98 for $500.. the only thing it needed was a new hose for the power steering fluid and some new bulbs. It passed inspection and is running great. Just saying it's possible
    If you're too proud to follow rivers, how are you ever gonna find the sea?
  5. Senior Member
    Candice.'s Avatar
    Candice. is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Both back at home, Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,643
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I got a jeep grand cherokee 98 for $500.. the only thing it needed was a new hose for the power steering fluid and some new bulbs. It passed inspection and is running great. Just saying it's possible
    Right, a '98. Like I said You're not gonna find something newer for $2000 or under like she wants. If they're cheap they're old.

    ETA: Especially wanting an aux plug. No way.
  6. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,787
    #6
    OP, everyone's comfort level is different, but posting your email address in an open forum is not only an invitation to spam, but it's not smart from a privacy perspective, especially because it has your last name in it (and we know your first from your screen name).

    Of you want to delete it, you can edit your post. (This forum frowns on deleting posts, but just taking out the email is fine.) And since you've been quoted, you could ask the Mods and I think they'd edit the quotes for you. You don't have to do any of this. Just a suggestion.

    And yeah, I think what you are asking is fairly unrealistic. Not sure why you'd limit it to 2000 year or later. A low mileage 1997 car is going to be more reliable than a high mileage 2007 car.

    Have your SO look in the base's lemon lot, but I think you are going to have a very hard time finding what you want. Since you don't have a lot of money, things like CD players and aux input become optional luxuries. Maybe you can rethink your priorities a bit.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    LoveMikeyBear's Avatar
    LoveMikeyBear is offline
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    25,417
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice. View Post
    Right, a '98. Like I said You're not gonna find something newer for $2000 or under like she wants. If they're cheap they're old.

    ETA: Especially wanting an aux plug. No way.
    This. Good luck OP but if you're looking for a 2001 or newer you're likely going to have a VERY hard time finding a decent car in that price range. Anything you DO find in that price range that is newer like you want will likely cost you more than you pay for it in repairs just to make it safe to drive.. I had a 2001 that was a little over $4,000 and that was the cheapest I could find anywhere within an hour driving distance(we looked for WEEKS hoping to find something closer to $3000. Didn't care about the year of the car though just wanted something that ran) It needed about $400 worth the parts, and brand new tires within a month of having it.


    Also, try locally don't look online places like here. Where IF someone has one in that price range that is decent they could be states away from you. Which will cost you and them a lot of money to get the car to you.. So looking purely locally is your best bet, and if you want to for sure stay in that $2000 price range. Then to be honest it's not very realistic to be wanting a car that is newer. It's nice to have a newer car sure, but if you can't afford to up the price you can spend on one. Then well you're better off lowering your expectations when it comes to how old the car will be. Since well $2,000 will likely only get you a 2001-2014 fixer upper car that has more issues than you can likely afford to deal with..
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Banned
    Reagan's Avatar
    Reagan is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,960
    #8
    I agree, probably won't have much luck. AUX inputs weren't even that common until recent years, I don't think, so I doubt you'll find a 2000 model year with one, and the newer the car, the less likely you'll find one in your price range.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Jazmine's Avatar
    Jazmine is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,757

    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    OP, everyone's comfort level is different, but posting your email address in an open forum is not only an invitation to spam, but it's not smart from a privacy perspective, especially because it has your last name in it (and we know your first from your screen name).

    Of you want to delete it, you can edit your post. (This forum frowns on deleting posts, but just taking out the email is fine.) And since you've been quoted, you could ask the Mods and I think they'd edit the quotes for you. You don't have to do any of this. Just a suggestion.

    And yeah, I think what you are asking is fairly unrealistic. Not sure why you'd limit it to 2000 year or later. A low mileage 1997 car is going to be more reliable than a high mileage 2007 car.

    Have your SO look in the base's lemon lot, but I think you are going to have a very hard time finding what you want. Since you don't have a lot of money, things like CD players and aux input become optional luxuries. Maybe you can rethink your priorities a bit.
    I just edited it myself, I didn't even think about it.
  10. Senior Member
    Charlie's Avatar
    Charlie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    632
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice. View Post
    Right, a '98. Like I said You're not gonna find something newer for $2000 or under like she wants. If they're cheap they're old.

    ETA: Especially wanting an aux plug. No way.
    Wooops, my bad. Read the post too quickly
    If you're too proud to follow rivers, how are you ever gonna find the sea?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •