Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Babymoon

1. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Gah! I just saw "don't do cruises". Sorry!

If you are interested in Portugal, you could combine it with Spain. Lisbon is a great city. It's pretty chill in that there aren't really a lot of big sites. For me, it was more about strolling around and enjoying the vibe, and the amazing food. You could also do Porto and/or a couple other cities with it, or find a way to hit up some of Spain as well. Lisbon sounds like it might be just the relaxing vibe you mentioned. We went in September and it was hot, but not freakishly so.

Of there's plenty to see in just Spain, so you could also combine a few Spanish cities into a trip.
    Lisbon is one we are seriously considering, we just dont know anyone who has gone so we dont know much about it, but we LOVED honeymoon in Spain so we think we would probably like it. We are thinking maybe Lisbon and then taking a night train to Bordeaux for some wineries.

The problem is there are so many places and too little time.
  2. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

DH and I just got back from a 2 week vacation in Japan and it was AMAZING. I totally vote for you two to go there. You could do Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka in 7-8 days and you can take trains between all of them.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Lisbon is one we are seriously considering, we just dont know anyone who has gone so we dont know much about it, but we LOVED honeymoon in Spain so we think we would probably like it. We are thinking maybe Lisbon and then taking a night train to Bordeaux for some wineries.

The problem is there are so many places and too little time.
    There were definitely sites to see in Lisbon. We did a ton of walking, and a great food tour. But a lot of what we enjoyed most was the time spent walking up to the castle on the hill, or wandering through streets on the way back from somewhere. Or drinking lots of port. (We spent a couple hours at the Port Wine Institute, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. They go have a zillion ports by the glass, all types and prices. But the waiters were super snooty and it was a place that looked well pst it's prime, and not in a cool vintage way. Just kind of old, with port-stained carpets.) As always, we relied heavily on the Rick Steves book to get us started, and then branched out from there, including the great food tour we found online.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    There were definitely sites to see in Lisbon. We did a ton of walking, and a great food tour. But a lot of what we enjoyed most was the time spent walking up to the castle on the hill, or wandering through streets on the way back from somewhere. Or drinking lots of port. (We spent a couple hours at the Port Wine Institute, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. They go have a zillion ports by the glass, all types and prices. But the waiters were super snooty and it was a place that looked well pst it's prime, and not in a cool vintage way. Just kind of old, with port-stained carpets.) As always, we relied heavily on the Rick Steves book to get us started, and then branched out from there, including the great food tour we found online.
    THAT is the kind of stuff we love to do. I mean, I am all for seeing the classics of a city, but gabe and I love to stroll around a beautiful place, stop at a local outside cafe for a glass of wine and people watching, and all that, or finding some cool bike tour that takes you to local hot food spots, or beer spots. All of that. Now I am looking up food tours.
  5. Senior Member
    There's a market hall just off the water that has recently been remade into a food market. Once side is fresh produce, and the other is little booths from various restaurants. It was part of our food tour so we didn't spend that long there and only ate the things our guide picked, but I probably could have spent hours there.

I think we found our tour on Trip Advisor, but I don't recall the name. It was a cool mix of things, but mostly locals places--nothing fancy. One stop was event a little store that sold all canned foods, which apparently kind of a thing there. It sounded weird, but was pretty interesting. The guide was also great about suggesting places we could try for the rest of or stay.

DH and I are big, bug fans of food tours.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    GO EXPLORE ALASKA! And take me with you because I miss it.
  7. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

What about Egypt? Would that be out of the question? I loved London, wish I had more time there and Scotland was gorgeous too.
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    We just went to cinque Terre in Italy and loved it so much! We flew into Pisa and then took a train there. There are five different cities and lots of cool hikes. You could also do Florence while on that area!

Also I think driving Ireland or Scotland would be incredible.

You could go to Berlin and hop over to Poland, Latvia, Estonia.

Haven't done Portugal yet but it's on my list! Look into Porto!

Croatia is incredible. I'm going to Pula soon and they have beach but also Roman shit. You could also take a ferry over to Venice from there!

You're totally right though, so many places and not enough time! I still think that after two years of living here!

life's a party, rock your body
  9. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I went to Italy for 7 days, stayed in Florence and took trains out to Rome, Pisa and Venice (although I would skip Pisa if I did it again and go for a train to somewhere else). It was fantastic and relaxing and 7 days was PLENTY of time to feel like I really got a good chance to explore all the cities I went too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123