Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well that was dramatic.

1. Senior Member

Well that was dramatic.

Advertisements
    I went in for some blood work this morning, they had to do a bunch of different tests, they ended up taking 20 vials of blood. I didn't think about it being a problem, I've never had a problem with blood work before. Once I was done I went to a sitting area in the clinic for a doughnut, there's a veteran there who runs the purple heart program and collects donations and is very gregarious and funny. He gave me a doughnut and I sat down, got back up and got some water and then came back. I started feeling a little dizzy, I ate a couple bites and a lady asked me if I was ok. I said yes, but apparently (and I don't remember this) I stood up and started walking somewhere and passed out. Thankfully the purple heart guy was there and he caught me so I didn't hit my head. Next thing I know I open my eyes and there are like 5 nurses standing around me, and I have no idea what's going on. Apparently they called a code blue when it happened because paramedics showed up (this is just a VA/DOD clinic, not a hospital or anything) but by the time they walked in to see me I was alert and up. One of them asked me "so you're not dead then?"

It was all very dramatic and embarrassing. I guess I didn't think they were drawing that much blood or that it would affect me like that. Thank goodness I didn't just try to get in my car and leave! Next time DH or some body will be going with me!
  2. Senior Member
    20 vials?? I can't believe they didn't warn you in advance about that. I've gotten like three taken for blood work and was dizzy after.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    20 vials?? I can't believe they didn't warn you in advance about that. I've gotten like three taken for blood work and was dizzy after.
    right? I've never had that much taken before, ever. I mean, the guy told me to go eat a big breakfast but that was it!
  4. Senior Member
    I'm glad you're okay!

And a similar thing happened to me when I was donating blood once. I was so embarrassed.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

That's a lot of blood! I always get really dizzy after having my blood drawn. I passed out once and ever since then I bring someone along. I'm glad you're okay!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

That's a ton of blood! I'm surprised you made it to the waiting room! Glad everything worked out lol. about the so you're not dead then comment!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  7. Senior Member
    Twenty vials!?! Are they supplying the local vampires?!?

I've had a lot of blood draws and I'm usually fine until they start saying, "This is my first day!" You're not supposed to tell me that!
  8. Senior Member
    Omggg glad youre ok!!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  9. Senior Member
    I took 20 vials from someone once. One of the other techs was helping me, we kept asking the person we were drawing if they were ok and they kept saying they were fine, but I locked my knees and almost passed out halfway through the process. It was very embarrassing. Glad you didn't hit your head or anything. We had the person we took all the blood from stay in the chair and eat a little candy bar and have some water before we let them even get up.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I feel like they should have been obligated to stay by your side for a while after taking that much blood. OOF. Thank goodness you didn't hit your head!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast