Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Finally Some News!

1. Senior Member

Finally Some News!

Advertisements
    It's been a long, long time since I've posted. But DH and I are finally getting all settled in back in the states post military.

I have started going to a new doctor here. So far he is pretty great. After two years of testing in Germany (and them never finding ANYTHING) my doctor has confirmed I have PCOS after two visits. During the first appt, he found my progesterone level was really low. The second visit, today, we did an ultrasound and confirmed PCOS. I have cysts and enlarged ovaries.

It is disheartening to an extent to know that there is something wrong with my body, but it is such a relief to find out that I'm not just crazy and there is something actually wrong. And it explains years of symptoms that had never been linked for me, up to this point.

Today the doc started me on metformin and clomid. I'm a little nervous and very hopefully, but I realize the chances of conceiving this month are very slim.

Over the next few months we will take it by ear, watch my symptoms and do more blood work.

Here's to hoping!

Any tips, advise or good vibes are much appreciated!

P.S. I have missed all of my MSOSer's!
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I know a LOT of moms with PCOS that have been able to conceive with a little help. Metformin is very common, as is clomid or femara. I have high hopes for you!!

My advice with the metformin... if your dose is high enough to take more than one pill, start SLOW and work your way up to the full dose. Metformin can F your tummy UP, and causes diarrhea in a LOT of women. Very sudden onset diarrhea. SO if, for example, you are on 1500mg and the pills are 500mg, start with 500mg until your body is used to it, then work your way up to 1000mg, and then 1500mg. And don't be too far from the bathroom at first just in case!!
  3. Senior Member
    Thats very encouraging! Thank you Trina

The doc started me out at 1000mg of metformin and 50mg of clomid a day. I've taken 500mg of metformin and the clomid and so far I haven't felt any side effects, but this is also super early on day 1 lol
  4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

No problem!! Is this going to be a monitored cycle? Are they doing any ultrasounds to check your follicles? Or blood tests later to confirm ovulation? 50mg doesn't work for some people, I think I most commonly see 100mg, so if it doesn't work this time don't be surprised, you can always ask to up the dosage.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

and I don't have any experience but I've heard of A LOT of women with PCOS concieving with metformin and clomid! I hope it goes easily for you! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinderella View Post
    No problem!! Is this going to be a monitored cycle? Are they doing any ultrasounds to check your follicles? Or blood tests later to confirm ovulation? 50mg doesn't work for some people, I think I most commonly see 100mg, so if it doesn't work this time don't be surprised, you can always ask to up the dosage.
    They will test my progesterone on day 21 of the cycle, but that is it for now. And Im hoping it works, but I expect the meds to take a few cycles to build up so we can see if they will work or not. I can say though, so far at the end of day 2 I feel different. I'm not sure if it actually has anything to do with the meds or if its just coincidence, but I just feel like I'm in such a better mood and have actually been able to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyJennJenn View Post
    and I don't have any experience but I've heard of A LOT of women with PCOS concieving with metformin and clomid! I hope it goes easily for you! Good luck!
    Thank you!
  7. Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    I see so many woman who say they've been diagnosed with PCOS and have multiple pregnancies under their belts.... I hope you become one of them! Good luck!!
  8. Senior Member
    It is so sad that the German doctors couldn't figure that out...I'm glad you finally got answers and can move forward. Good luck!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugaInMyPockets View Post
    I see so many woman who say they've been diagnosed with PCOS and have multiple pregnancies under their belts.... I hope you become one of them! Good luck!!
    Thank you! I sure hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Caity Rose View Post
    It is so sad that the German doctors couldn't figure that out...I'm glad you finally got answers and can move forward. Good luck!
    I think what is worse is I not only went to German doctors, but also the base doctor many times. And it could have saved everyone a lot of heartache and money if they would have just really looked into it.

So today I got another call from the doctor. His nurse said my progesterone levels were actually normal for my second blood test, which I guess is abnormal for pcos. It was very frustrating to get that news. I'm just hoping that doesn't complicate things too much.