Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tell me about Ireland!

1. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    63.07%

Tell me about Ireland!

Advertisements
    DH and I are going to Ireland this summer! We're both turning 30 in the spring, I'll finally be getting tenure, and we are going to start trying for a baby in the fall, so we decided to do one last big trip to celebrate everything!

We'll be there for 8 days and I have a basic idea of what we want to see (the typical touristy things), but I'm looking for some other suggestions. Maybe something I won't find on the "top 20 places to see in Ireland" lists.

Good restaurants?
    Local bars?
    Hidden gems?
    Great places to stay?

We don't have anything booked yet besides the airfare. We're open to hotels, (afordable) castles, and airbnb! We're planning on driving the coast and seeing as much of the country as possible, so we will most likely be staying in a new place every night or two.

Thank you!!
  2. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    63.07%
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    68.05%
    Yay! Where are you flying into? I went to Ireland only once while we were in Germany and loooooved it!

My mom and I flew into Dublin and stayed in Malahide. We only went for 2 days so I wanted something out of the city but somewhere I could see the ocean and other cool shit and then get back into Dublin to explore!

We stayed at the BEST b&b in a cute town and a walk away from the train into Dublin.
    We did Malahide for a day (castles, pubs, ocean) and Dublin for a day (Guinness factory, pubs, live music, Dublin fun).

IF I had 8 days I would go to Cork. Rent a car, get on a bus, or BlaBlaCar. That's one of the places in Europe I missed out on!

Also, Cliffs of Moher I have heard is incredible!

life's a party, rock your body
  4. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    78.57%
    PM me anytime. I have spent many summers and holidays visiting my mum there!
  5. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    63.07%
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Yay! Where are you flying into? I went to Ireland only once while we were in Germany and loooooved it!

My mom and I flew into Dublin and stayed in Malahide. We only went for 2 days so I wanted something out of the city but somewhere I could see the ocean and other cool shit and then get back into Dublin to explore!

We stayed at the BEST b&b in a cute town and a walk away from the train into Dublin.
    We did Malahide for a day (castles, pubs, ocean) and Dublin for a day (Guinness factory, pubs, live music, Dublin fun).

IF I had 8 days I would go to Cork. Rent a car, get on a bus, or BlaBlaCar. That's one of the places in Europe I missed out on!

Also, Cliffs of Moher I have heard is incredible!
    We are flying into Shannon. Cork is definitely on our list. My husband has family there... we just have to find a way to get in touch with them. (His grandmother communicates with them through postcards! )

I'm sure we'll spend a day or two in Dublin, but I have been hearing from numerous people that Galway is the best city!

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    PM me anytime. I have spent many summers and holidays visiting my mum there!
    Awesome, thank you!!
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    23.92%
    If you're looking for something less touristy and less busy, stay in Kilkee and drive around the Loop Head Peninsula. Amazing cliffs and there is no one around. You can get epic photos with not a single other soul in the picture. We really enjoyed our time there. You only really need a day to explore the whole peninsula. The town of Kilkee is super cute too!