Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Grand Canyon

1. Senior Member

Grand Canyon

Advertisements
    Who's been there? Tell me all about it, please!

Where's a good place to stay, good places to eat, what should we definitely see?

We were thinking of going in March during spring break leave, or during summer leave. Would March be better so it's not so hot?

Thank you! ♥
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We've been twice.

The first time we went to the west rim. It was very touristy and has the Skywalk which is a glass overhang. You cannot take anything out there. And I mean anything. No purse, camera...nothing. You will also have to either walk or shuttle the whole area. You cannot drive. It is owned and operated by Hualapai American Indians so it is not part of National Parks. There are fees you will have to pay just to enter. It was very nice though with amazing views, history, viewpoints, etc. Oh and there were no barriers so definitely use caution.

The second time we went to the south rim which is part of National Parks so we entered for free. We were also able to drive to viewpoints ourselves. There were lots of viewpoints (some which had some barriers and others didn't have any) and trails/paths we were able to walk at our own pace and discretion. We even found a moose we were able to somewhat approach and photograph. The Desert Watchtower was amazing.

We drove from Las Vegas both times. The first time we also drove back but the second time we continued on east. We didn't eat there but had snack type food along with us. We also only stayed the one day. We also went to the Hoover Dam both times. The first time we went in August and the second time in July. Yeah it was hot as all hell. No kidding, like 110/112. So if you would end up going in the summer take lots of water. I would over estimate what you think would be enough water. Can't speak on what it would be like in March.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

When we went we were also staying in Vegas and went to the South Rim. It was the third week in April and we went toward the end of the day so we could see the sunset. We were actually quite chilly because we were underdressed, we ended up buying some fleeces from the gift shop because we were SO cold. I think if it was during the day we would've been fine, but once the sun started going down it got colder, and we only had on shorts and t-shirts from our day in Vegas. The park people laughed at us because we were miserably cold when we went into the gift shop.

I have no idea about where to stay/eat that is local. We just rented a car in Vegas and did the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon. We were so exhausted from hiking around that we just stopped at a Hardee's on the way home and ate there. I don't think there's a lot of fancy restaurant type places nearby, it's more geared toward camping etc from what I remember. \
  4. Senior Member
    I've heard the Skywalk is no longer worth the money
  5. Senior Member
    It has been forever since I went to the Grand Canyon. But, I did go during March and I remember it being chilly. Definitely wear layers!

6. Senior Member
    Oh I didn't even think about going to the Hoover Dam as well! Thanks for the reminder

Thank you all for the tips! I doubt we would go to the Skywalk. DH does not do heights at all. While I don't mind heights and am usually a dare devil, the thought of the Skywalk makes me nervous, just something about it!
  7. Regular Member

Grand Canyon '16

Not sure about March weather (Drove over in early Oct of '16 after getting married in Vegas.)
    I will ask my DH the place we stayed - was really nice.
    (Just have to wait to hear from him.)
    Saw Hoover Dam - impressive.