Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never been out of the country

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    38.87%

Never been out of the country

Advertisements
    I posted shortly ago and where to take a honeymoon. Since DH and I have never been out of the country and we decided we are waiting til he has summer block leave, we will probably pick somewhere out of the country. We will have time to get our passports and plan. But, since neither of us have been out of the country, I don't know where to start. The only places we have been that needed planning was the beach 2 hours away back home and Parris Island for my cousins marine graduation. So the planning was pretty much just getting a hotel.

Do I look for a package deal, do I just book a hotel for the area we are going to, how do I know if we will need a rental car or if transportation in that area is easy to come by? I started looking into areas and there is so much stuff to consider that it's overwhelming and I don't know where to start. Advice, tips, anything! Please
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    93.42%
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    I posted shortly ago and where to take a honeymoon. Since DH and I have never been out of the country and we decided we are waiting til he has summer block leave, we will probably pick somewhere out of the country. We will have time to get our passports and plan. But, since neither of us have been out of the country, I don't know where to start. The only places we have been that needed planning was the beach 2 hours away back home and Parris Island for my cousins marine graduation. So the planning was pretty much just getting a hotel.

Do I look for a package deal, do I just book a hotel for the area we are going to, how do I know if we will need a rental car or if transportation in that area is easy to come by? I started looking into areas and there is so much stuff to consider that it's overwhelming and I don't know where to start. Advice, tips, anything! Please
    Planning is my favorite! What areas are you looking into and how long of a trip are you looking at? Also what sort of activities are you into or do you just want to chill and relax?
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    36.68%

I would say look for a package deal
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    60.23%
    Do you have a costco membership? They offer some vacation deals you might be interested in. I was actually just looking at them yesterday and there are several all-inclusive resorts that end up being cheaper than Sandals or Beaches. One package I saw included airfare, transportation from the airport to the hotel, all food and drinks, $150 in resort credit, and all activities, which included boats, jetskis, kayaks, horseback riding, snorkeling, etc.
  5. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    68.47%
    I think it really depends on what you want to do and how much you have to spend. I think your first step will be to determine your budget, destination, and a few activities in the area that you and your DH would like to do. Do you want to go somewhere warm and lay on the beach? Somewhere like Iceland, to chill at Blue Lagoon or hang with sled dogs? I really like using Trip Advisor and Yelp to see what is recommended as well as the best times of year to visit. Also, get your passport like yesterday. When are you planning to travel? Not sure if you have time for this trip, but I'd also recommend signing up for loyalty programs through hotels, airlines, and car rental companies as well because you'll be able to redeem points for stays/experiences. I travel a fair amount for work and use those points for my personal trips!

All-inclusive can be great if you're looking to just lay on the beach, relax at the pool, and drink/eat as much as possible at the hotel. Some of the excursions/activities offered can be cool but IMO it's more expensive than going out on your own and finding it through a local vendor. When I travel, I want to experience the local culture, food, and activities and that stuff likely isn't included in the all-inclusive rates. I'm in the camp of exploring and spending all day out and about which would mean the money I'd spend at the hotel restaurants/bars would be wasted anyway.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    41.66%
    We used Trip Advisor and Airbnb if we want to stay somewhere. We liked having the top places to visit and an actual apartment to come back to. We would rather cook at our place at night to save money.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    83.05%
    I think it depends on where you want to go and what type of trip you want. Package deals and all inclusive resorts are popular in the Caribbean but if you were going to do Europe I would look into hotels and traveling by train. If you start with budget and a few big items that are on the must-see list you can fill in the smaller details after that. Time of year is really important too, if you know your going to vacation over a certain time then you would find a place that it good see during that time.

Cruises are good low stress vacations for "beginner" travelers. The floating hotel is with you the whole time, there is unlimited food (and water you can drink), the boat arrives for the day you pick excursions and then your ONLY job is to be back on the dock at a certain time. Rental cars abroad can be tricky because you are potentially trying to drive on the other side of the road plus navigate in an area you don't know plus you may not speak the language. If you are going to a place that has decent public transportation or shuttles to/from resort I would stick to that.
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    38.87%
    I want somewhere with a beach, but DH doesn't like the beach that much so we definitely need a place where we can explore the local area. Budget I'd say not over $3,000. Is that reasonable for an overseas trip?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    Do you have a costco membership? They offer some vacation deals you might be interested in. I was actually just looking at them yesterday and there are several all-inclusive resorts that end up being cheaper than Sandals or Beaches. One package I saw included airfare, transportation from the airport to the hotel, all food and drinks, $150 in resort credit, and all activities, which included boats, jetskis, kayaks, horseback riding, snorkeling, etc.
    No, but I may look into that now!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    77.11%

I want somewhere with a beach, but DH doesn't like the beach that much so we definitely need a place where we can explore the local area. Budget I'd say not over $3,000. Is that reasonable for an overseas trip?!

No, but I may look into that now!
    I'm looking into traveling to Europe and just through in the farthest dates away I could (May 2018) and the flight alone is $1400 per person. I think Hawaii would be good for y'all if you like outdoorsy. You have the beach, but also tons of exploring. Also, Mexico. On that budget you probably won't be able to get too far away from the continental US. You can look into Canada as well.
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    93.42%
    You could also try Costa Rica. Lots to do besides beaches
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast