Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where would you go?

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    Do you like trains or river boats? I know Amtrak goes quite a ways and they have lots of stops and such. Some folks enjoy that kind of sight seeing and travel.
    Also I've heard of river cruises - same as the ocean just on the river. I'm sure it's just as romantic and no passport required!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    We went to the Stanley Hotel up in Estes Park CO. Beautiful place. Im a sight seer so I would like to go on like a road trip and see some places down south, washington DC, New York, grand canyon, mount Rushmore, stuff like that.
    That's the hotel Stephen King based his book The Shining off of! Was it super creepy there?! I love haunted places!

DC, NYC (especially during Christmas), and the Grand Canyon are all amazing! For non-tropical vacations I really want to go to New Orleans, San Francisco, the Big Sur, and Portland, OR.

3. Senior Member
    A lot of you suggested the keys or PR. I asked DH about PR and he immediately said no. Maybe I can convince him though, I would like to visit there one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Are you only looking for beachy places? I mean imo you probably can't beat Hawaii but I've heard great things about the keys. I've never been, even as a lifelong Floridian, but I've always wanted to and one of my friends lived in Islamorada for a while and he posted gorgeous pictures all the time. You could also take a ferry or a tiny plane out to Dry Tortugas and go camping.
    I love the beach, would live on it if I could. But DH isn't a big fan of it. So some place with a beach but also with activities around, things we can explore/see/do. I like the camping idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Definitely Hawaii, but try to hit the other islands (other than Oahu).

You should try to hit the ITT office (I have no idea what Infomation Tickets and Travel is called for the Army) and see what they have available for cruises. We got a great deal on our first cruise (and a cabin upgrade!).
    I didn't think of going to the travel office. I'll have to pop in one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    Puerto Rico, Guam, The US Virgin Islands, The Northern Mariana Islands and The American Samoa are all US territories so you don't need a passport to visit any of them.

If you're willing to wait a bit Sandals is always having big sales on rooms. They were 60% off at the end of April for Earth day and 75% off in June for the start of summer. They have tons of different resorts and some are a lot less expensive than others. You can compare them to see which resort suits you best. Our favorite is Ochi resort in Ochos Rios, Jamaica. Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay is pretty cheap to fly into as well and isn't very far from the Jamaica resorts.

Hawaii would probably be the quickest and easiest to plan and if you've always wanted to go that makes it even better. Flights aren't bad if you fly out of a larger city.
    Oh Sandals isn't a bad idea. I'll look into it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperJane View Post
    Do you like trains or river boats? I know Amtrak goes quite a ways and they have lots of stops and such. Some folks enjoy that kind of sight seeing and travel.
    Also I've heard of river cruises - same as the ocean just on the river. I'm sure it's just as romantic and no passport required!
    I'd love to go on a train trip. DH would never go for it though. I never heard of river cruises before. But I'm intrigued so I'm going to look into it!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    We went to the Stanley Hotel up in Estes Park CO. Beautiful place. Im a sight seer so I would like to go on like a road trip and see some places down south, washington DC, New York, grand canyon, mount Rushmore, stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    That's the hotel Stephen King based his book The Shining off of! Was it super creepy there?! I love haunted places!

DC, NYC (especially during Christmas), and the Grand Canyon are all amazing! For non-tropical vacations I really want to go to New Orleans, San Francisco, the Big Sur, and Portland, OR.
    We are from the east coast. DC and NYC are both boring to us! But I'll look into the other places mentioned!

I'm compiling a list of all mentioned places. DH won't like the word document I'm gonna send him with 100 different places
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    What about WA? We went to Forks which has the Hoh rainforest, you can raft the Hoh river, Lake Crescent and Cape Flattery aren't far, and you'd be near the Pacific Ocean. Yeah Forks is hugely centered around Twilight but there are other things around there, too. We also went to Ocean Shores which isn't too far away either. And if you drive down 101 it'll take you through the Redwood Forest. The Trees of Mystery with Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox and the drive through tree are along the drive, too. Those are in CA though. Not sure if you're wanting to stay in one specific spot or move around a bit but WA can give you the beach with camping and hiking.

ETA: sorry just wanted to add there are also the San Juan Islands as well. Western WA has a ferry system so in various locations you can catch ferries to other locations. You could stay in one area and hit up the San Jaun Islands, Seattle, onto the side with Forks, or even drive over to the mountains. Just depends how mobile y'all want to be.
  6. Senior Member
    Hawaii was my favorite place ever. If you like big city stuff, I would go to the big island, they have more touristy things. Maui was my favorite, there is a bed and breakfast called the Garden Gate Inn, it is soooo nice. they have a honeymoon suite which is so nice. A friend and I went horse back riding there, one of my favorite experiences ever (I got a draft horse, it was awesome).
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    What about WA? We went to Forks which has the Hoh rainforest, you can raft the Hoh river, Lake Crescent and Cape Flattery aren't far, and you'd be near the Pacific Ocean. Yeah Forks is hugely centered around Twilight but there are other things around there, too. We also went to Ocean Shores which isn't too far away either. And if you drive down 101 it'll take you through the Redwood Forest. The Trees of Mystery with Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox and the drive through tree are along the drive, too. Those are in CA though. Not sure if you're wanting to stay in one specific spot or move around a bit but WA can give you the beach with camping and hiking.

ETA: sorry just wanted to add there are also the San Juan Islands as well. Western WA has a ferry system so in various locations you can catch ferries to other locations. You could stay in one area and hit up the San Jaun Islands, Seattle, onto the side with Forks, or even drive over to the mountains. Just depends how mobile y'all want to be.
    Oh that sounds amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    Hawaii was my favorite place ever. If you like big city stuff, I would go to the big island, they have more touristy things. Maui was my favorite, there is a bed and breakfast called the Garden Gate Inn, it is soooo nice. they have a honeymoon suite which is so nice. A friend and I went horse back riding there, one of my favorite experiences ever (I got a draft horse, it was awesome).
    Hawaii is one of the biggest options. Did you rent a car to get around the Islands?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12