Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paris

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    68.18%

Jump for Joy Paris

Advertisements
    A trip to Paris is in the future, sometime in December of this year before DH deploys. Anyone been there? What are some "go to" places and things to see/do? We'll be there for about 8 days minus the flight time. I was thinking of one day taking the train to Belgium and another taking a train to London... what else?!
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    42.78%
    There's an easy train ride straight to Barcelona if you're into that!
  3. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    22.62%
    Get queued up early for both the Eiffel Tower and the Catacombs.
    Leave at least an entire day for the Louvre. That was my favorite part...I stayed in there forever while my husband wandered around getting crepes and such.
    You can go to a service at Notre Dame, but going early Sunday morning before services is the best time to see it without a ton of people.
    Do not try to go to a farmacia on Sunday....they are nearly all closed.
    There are probably more things I could tell you but I'm drawing a blank right now.
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    3.45%
    Disneyland Paris!!

Also The beaches of Normandy and The Palace of Versailles (though both of those are outside Paris).

5. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    46.22%
    Make sure you see the Eiffel Tower at night when it lights up. Many people bring a blanket and a bottle of wine to the adjacent park and enjoying it while watching it light up.

Definitely agree for a whole day for the Louvre. We actually stayed in Le Marais - I would 100% check out that area for dinner or drinks one night. It's a really cool little area.

We also headed out to the Palace of Versailles for a day and I would totally recommend making the trip out there. It was certainly worth it.

We also really liked Musee de Orsay - which is modern art. There was a lot of really cool things to see there, but you definitely don't need a whole day for that. Paris is so beautiful, have fun!
  6. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    67.44%
    I've been twice, and I second the recommendations for a day at the Louvre and at Versailles. I also did a day trip to Bruges in Belgium, which was spectacular. Montmartre is my favorite area in Paris proper; lots of stairs and steep streets, but the climb to the top of Sacre Coeur is *SO* worth it- my favorite view in the world! It'll be chilly, but consider bundling up for a night cruise on the Seine, because it's a great way to see a lot of the major monuments all lit up.

I'd recommend considering an AirBnb instead of a hotel, both from a cost-saving standpoint (more money to spend on fun things while you're there!) and also because it will give you a more authentic flavor of the city. I highly recommend stumbling upon little hole-in-the-wall restaurants and bars, because that's always where I find the best meals abroad. If it's full of locals, you know it's a solid choice. I have a couple of specific food recommendations, though- go to Angelina (226 Rue de Rivoli) for the most decadent hot chocolate you've ever had in your life (it's so thick, they bring you a pot of whipped cream to stir into your cup to make it thin enough to drink!), and if you're looking for a wacky, fun night, check out Chez Georges (11 Rue Des Canettes)- make sure you go down into the basement portion, it looks (and quite possibly is) an old wine cellar, with nothing on the menu but cheap and amazing wine and cheese plates. They play kind of 40's-50's era music with a few couples swing dancing until about 10 or 11 PM and then they all of a sudden switch to classic rock (think all the greatest karaoke hits, lol) and the whole place just breaks out into song, dancing on chairs/tables/etc. Easily the best night of our most recent trip.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions!
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    68.18%
    My Aunt lives in town so we have a free place to stay! I did a research project in HS about Versailles so I defiantly want to see that. The Lourve is just awesome and thats on my list too. I was browsing about Normandy and they do D Day tours, which I know my husband would just LOVE so thats on the list.

I read something about "The Paris Pass" and you pay a fee, but can get into all the museums and sight seeing places for free and dont have to wait in lines and can go as many times as you want. Anyone heard of this?
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    68.18%
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Disneyland Paris!!

Also The beaches of Normandy and The Palace of Versailles (though both of those are outside Paris).
    WHAT?! I've never even been to Disneyland in the US, but they have one in Paris?! Im going to look into that for sure.
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    3.45%
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    WHAT?! I've never even been to Disneyland in the US, but they have one in Paris?! Im going to look into that for sure.
    Gurl, yasssss!
    I've been to Disneyland and Disney World, but my goal is to visit all the Disneylands of the world before I die.

I've done some research and the one in Paris looks a lot nicer (as far as architecture) than the US disneys. They have a different twist on some of the classic rides for example the Haunted Mansion.

Sorry I'm just a total Disney nerd
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 06-29-2017 at 03:41 PM.

10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    68.18%
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Gurl, yasssss!
    I've been to Disneyland and Disney World, but my goal is to visit all the Disneylands of the world before I die.

I've done some research and the one in Paris looks a lot nicer (as far as architecture) than the US disneys. They have a different twist in some if the classic rides (like Haunted Mansion).

Sorry I'm just a total Disney nerd
    I just sent my Aunt a message waiting for her to get back to me... I think I must put this on the list!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast