Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New York City

1. Senior Member

New York City

Advertisements
    Dh and I are looking at going to NYC for Christmas this year, which is like.. top of my bucket list. I've already got a mile long list of things to do and see, what I need to know is where to stay?

if you have any other recommendations like places to eat, or must do/sees that aren't typical, let me know!

2. Senior Member
    When we went last spring we stayed at the Omni Berkshire. We like Omni's so it was a no brainer, bit they had good rates the week we were there. it is in midtownand they are close to times square, Rockefeller plaza, and a few blocks from central park. We only really used the subway to go to the statue of liberty and the freedom tower. Otherwise it was a great location.

https://m.omnihotels.com/h5/property...york-berkshire
  3. Senior Member
    Eat pizza and bagels. NYC is the best for those.

I love Omni hotels too, but have only ever gone to the city for day trips (unless for work). Go to little Italy and find a hole in the wall place to eat. Ahh you're making me want to go now too. We used to go every year when we were dating. Off to talk to DH.
  4. Senior Member
    Before DB lived in the NYC area we only stayed in the city once, in the wall street area. That is probably too far south for most of the things you will want to see. The city is so nice around Christmas, just book early because it is busy. We liked the museum of natural history and the Brooklyn Bridge.
  5. Senior Member
    I love the Omni too! I would book NOW because Christmas time is one of the busiest time there and good / nice hotels in good locations book FAST.
  6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    All Places in New York | Atlas Obscura

I really like doing lesser known attractions and also looking at historic places. This list mentions Track 61, Roosevelt Island Smallpox Hospital, and City Hall Station. All super cool.
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Stay at the W in Union Square. It has a good bar, the hotel is a W so its fantastic and since its at Union Square it has great restaurants and is close to the Village which is very hipster, PLUS it has access to the best subway lines- the 4/5/6, so you can easily head to Grand Central (and from there its the easiest walk or subway ride to Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square), take the 6 right up to The Met and Central Park, you can take it south and hit Canal Street or get fairly close to the WTC.

My advice: Go see Sleep No More. I don't know if your husband would be down for that based on how you have described his personality on here, but it is the fucking coolest interactive theater piece ever...and I HATE theater. Its a modern (set in 1920s) interpretation of Macbeth and its AMAZING. There is little to no talking by the actors- so it is all played out in movvement, dance, the music and even smells. Just amazing and beautiful and erotic and so NY. You go in and you walk through this old hotel where they are putting on the play. You cannot talk and you wear masks (so it can be easy to get lost from your partner so hold hands!) and its dark in there. Its so hard to explain without it sounding weird, but trust me- its an experience you will not forget and you will not find something like it anywhere else. Sleep No More , (also, here is the link so 'watch' it to get an idea of what its like http://www.sleepnomore.com/#watch) or you can see Then She Fell, but thats all the way in Brooklyn. Also the Delancey has a good rooftop bar. Be prepared to dress up more than you expect.

Have fun- its the greatest city ever
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Stay at the W in Union Square. It has a good bar, the hotel is a W so its fantastic and since its at Union Square it has great restaurants and is close to the Village which is very hipster, PLUS it has access to the best subway lines- the 4/5/6, so you can easily head to Grand Central (and from there its the easiest walk or subway ride to Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square), take the 6 right up to The Met and Central Park, you can take it south and hit Canal Street or get fairly close to the WTC.

My advice: Go see Sleep No More. I don't know if your husband would be down for that based on how you have described his personality on here, but it is the fucking coolest interactive theater piece ever...and I HATE theater. Its a modern (set in 1920s) interpretation of Macbeth and its AMAZING. There is little to no talking by the actors- so it is all played out in movvement, dance, the music and even smells. Just amazing and beautiful and erotic and so NY. You go in and you walk through this old hotel where they are putting on the play. You cannot talk and you wear masks (so it can be easy to get lost from your partner so hold hands!) and its dark in there. Its so hard to explain without it sounding weird, but trust me- its an experience you will not forget and you will not find something like it anywhere else. Sleep No More , (also, here is the link so 'watch' it to get an idea of what its like Sleep No More) or you can see Then She Fell, but thats all the way in Brooklyn. Also the Delancey has a good rooftop bar. Be prepared to dress up more than you expect.

Have fun- its the greatest city ever
    I may be able to convince him! It sounds really cool. and I'll check out the W, thanks! I'm super excited, I have this weird obsession with NYC, probably from too much television/movies. If I was single I'd be hopping the first plane and living there for sure.

thanks for the advice everyone