Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: D.C. area people, I need your help!

1. Senior Member

D.C. area people, I need your help!

Advertisements
    DH and I are planning a road trip to Washington D.C. for the Cherry Blossom Festival late March. Can y'all give me any tips for the festival, hotel recs, cheap places to park (unless it's better to take public transportation), places to eat , and anything else I need to know. TIA!

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    DH and I are planning a road trip to Washington D.C. for the Cherry Blossom Festival late March. Can y'all give me any tips for the festival, hotel recs, cheap places to park (unless it's better to take public transportation), places to eat , and anything else I need to know. TIA!
    def take public transportation during that festival; its insane trying to drive downtown in it and there tend to be road closures. I would recommend hotels in Crystal City area so you can walk to the metro and not have to worry about driving and parking but you will have to pay to park your car.

If y'all like beer I would also recommend checking out RFD; its right off Chinatown metro and has a ton of unique beers on tap.

For the festival I would recommend a bag that zips closed (it's very crowded and makes me worry about pickpockets). I don't know exactly what time of the festival you'll be here but there's a parade I believe at the beginning of the festival that is really pretty and theres a kite flying day too around the Washington monument.

And you know you better have time to meet up with me for a beer or something one night!! I'm only half an hour south of DC!!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    How long are you staying? We stayed in an apartment via homeaway.com and it was so great to be right by the metro but not in a hotel.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    def take public transportation during that festival; its insane trying to drive downtown in it and there tend to be road closures. I would recommend hotels in Crystal City area so you can walk to the metro and not have to worry about driving and parking but you will have to pay to park your car.

If y'all like beer I would also recommend checking out RFD; its right off Chinatown metro and has a ton of unique beers on tap.

For the festival I would recommend a bag that zips closed (it's very crowded and makes me worry about pickpockets). I don't know exactly what time of the festival you'll be here but there's a parade I believe at the beginning of the festival that is really pretty and theres a kite flying day too around the Washington monument.

And you know you better have time to meet up with me for a beer or something one night!! I'm only half an hour south of DC!!
    Thanks, girl! I was hoping you'd post on here. I definitely want to pick your brain for more info, do you mind if I PM you on FB? And we for sure need to meet up for drinks!

Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    How long are you staying? We stayed in an apartment via homeaway.com and it was so great to be right by the metro but not in a hotel.
    I believe we'll be there 3 full days, maybe four.

5. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    I don't go to D.C enough to know anything, but I do believe it's best to take the metro.Even during non-peak days parking/traffic can be cray-cray.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Thanks, girl! I was hoping you'd post on here. I definitely want to pick your brain for more info, do you mind if I PM you on FB? And we for sure need to meet up for drinks!
    def message or txt me (I'll PM you my number)! Your welcome to my guest room if you don't mind the drive and thats not to creepy haha
  7. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    eat toki underground. that is all.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    eat toki underground. that is all.
    I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Be prepared for the crazy busy! Other than that I don't have anything to suggest that hasn't already been said

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyJennJenn View Post
    Be prepared for the crazy busy! Other than that I don't have anything to suggest that hasn't already been said
    Thanks. I'm kinda expecting that.
    My first trip to DC, I went Memorial Day and it was a zoo. At all the monuments and museums we were crammed in there so tight that in some areas that I was elbow to elbow with othere people.