Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Options for DH's *HUGE* Sweet Tooth

1. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey

Healthy Options for DH's *HUGE* Sweet Tooth

Advertisements
    DH promised me that he would get back "on the wagon" of healthy eating once we got settled in Texas. We're both at super healthy functional weights so it not like we're concerned about weightloss (hence posting here rather than Biggest Loser).

The problem is that DH has a serious sugar addiction that we need to re-break. The man loves his sweets - especially things like cakes. I need something that will satisfy is cakey-cravings and not load him down with all the processed garbage and sugars that come from typical dessert like things. I have tried a few things in the past like fruit crumbles made with honey etc... and diet coke cake (with sugar free mix) -- but then I still have all the chemicals from the mix AND the soda.

ideas and advice are welcome!

www.SnarkyFit.com
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    well, you can't 'break' it entirely because its likely he will always crave it, and when someone craves something they will go around eating anything and everything to satisfy it.

With that said, dark chocolate is the healthiest of the chocolates, and cinammon is a metabolizer (or whatever its called). Maybe you can make some homemade brownies with dark chocoloate or cocoa. You can also do angel food cake, its fat free, but has sugar. One of my favorites is pumpkin angel food cake. Just a can of pumpkin, some spice and angel food cake mix .. mix together and bake.

I'm not sure, are you not eating any sugar at all? A sweet teeth wants the sweet, so you'll have to find something that satisfies the sugar craving. You can make any recipe with splenda instead of sugar, might help, because I know (as one who tends to crave sweets) sugar free is not the same and won't satisfy my craving, but splenda will.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    I do homemade whipped cream with fruit like blackberries, raspberries, etc. The full fat of the whipping cream sweetened with agave is delicious and satisfying! I also cook paleo type cake things with almond and coconut flour and agave instead of sugar.
  4. skp
    The journey is the reward.
    The journey is the reward.
    I like the linked one but there are a bunch of ideas on that site!

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/cle...lime-oat-bars/

br33 is my professional deployment twin
    starsinthesky is my PAL
  5. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Dark chocolate does it for me. When I bake treats I use xylitol as it doesn't affect blood glucose levels.
    Pax, Aeon
  6. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    well, you can't 'break' it entirely because its likely he will always crave it, and when someone craves something they will go around eating anything and everything to satisfy it.

With that said, dark chocolate is the healthiest of the chocolates, and cinammon is a metabolizer (or whatever its called). Maybe you can make some homemade brownies with dark chocoloate or cocoa. You can also do angel food cake, its fat free, but has sugar. One of my favorites is pumpkin angel food cake. Just a can of pumpkin, some spice and angel food cake mix .. mix together and bake.

I'm not sure, are you not eating any sugar at all? A sweet teeth wants the sweet, so you'll have to find something that satisfies the sugar craving. You can make any recipe with splenda instead of sugar, might help, because I know (as one who tends to crave sweets) sugar free is not the same and won't satisfy my craving, but splenda will.

7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Do you eat soy? This recipe might sound weird, but it's really yummy and if people don't see you make it, they really won't know what's in it.

Basically you take 12oz soft silken tofu and blend it in a food processor. Take 12oz of your favorite chocolate chips (I bought a bag of 60% cacao recently and they would be good) and melt them with a double boiler. Add and blend the melted chocolate together, and then pour into a graham cracker crust (which you could even make like a raw crust from a raw cheesecake recipe or something like that), and refridgerate 4 hours or more.

It's not super healthy, but it's also not unhealthy (at least in my head ). I made it for my brother who hated tofu, and he didn't believe I had actually put tofu in it
  8. Senior Member
    The more sweets you eat, the more your body craves it. Can he slowly cut down a little bit?

What about cutting banana slices and sandwiching peanut butter in the middle. Put them in the freezer for a healthy snack. I second dark chocolate. Does he like salty and sweet? A go to for me is some stove popped popcorn with m and ms our dark chocolate on top. The popcorn is natural and full of fiber.
  9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I also have a huuuuuuge sweet tooth. I know people always say that, but I am one of those people who will actually get out of my house JUST to go buy a candy bar. Its a hard habit to break, but I try.

Currently whats working for me is making these things:

Sweet Things / Apple Pie Bites - but with only a teeny bit of the roll to wrap around, not like a whole crescent.

Sweet Things / Skinny Oreo Cookies and Cream Milkshake -small portion (havent tried it yet, but I will be at some point)

similar to: Sweet Things / "Use Cool Whip Free, skim milk, and 1 oreo per serving. 1 points plus." -- When I was pregnant, I was OBSESSED with cookies & cream milkshakes... I think this one would have saved me a few pounds.

Sweet Things / Grilled dessert: banana s'mores - try with half a banana...but I hate banana so I dunno

Currently my fav: Sweet Things / - apples + cinnamon + oven @ 200 degrees = homemade apple chips. Yum! The baking of the apple makes it super sweet (I suggest using red delicious), sprinkle a teeeeeeensy bit of sugar, and a bunch of cinnamon- yum!
  10. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Love you ladies so much right now, you have no idea!

I've recently become more concerned about our health b/c of the crap we chose to indulge in during the move. Top it off with DH's extensive familial history of cardiovascular disease, and what I'm watchin his father go through right now, and it just seems like its time to get our ish back together. We were doing so well before he went to OCS. We both felt awesome, and we both want to get back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post

Oh that sounds great! I'm realistic enough to know that I can't cut sugar out entirely. I'm just trying to get really far away from the heavily processed white sugars, HFC's and stuff like that. I have no problem using honey, agave, sucanat or even evaporate cane juice in moderation. I have a mega sweet tooth as well, and I can control mine with weekly controlled "cheats" of dark chocolate, SF hot cocoa, fruit crumbles etc... But DH is a pastry/cake/cookie man. I make awesome chocolate chip cookies with whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and dark chocolate chips... but I only had a few recipes like that.

Def tryin the angel food cake. I will try to make it with the natural sugar or maybe maple flakes. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    I do homemade whipped cream with fruit like blackberries, raspberries, etc. The full fat of the whipping cream sweetened with agave is delicious and satisfying! I also cook paleo type cake things with almond and coconut flour and agave instead of sugar.
    What are these paleo cakes? I have almond flour already... I can get the coconut. Share!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skp View Post
    I like the linked one but there are a bunch of ideas on that site!

Clean Eating Recipes | Clean Eating Coconut Lime Oat Bars
    Bookmarked! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I also have a huuuuuuge sweet tooth. I know people always say that, but I am one of those people who will actually get out of my house JUST to go buy a candy bar. Its a hard habit to break, but I try.

Currently whats working for me is making these things:

Sweet Things / Apple Pie Bites - but with only a teeny bit of the roll to wrap around, not like a whole crescent.

Sweet Things / Skinny Oreo Cookies and Cream Milkshake -small portion (havent tried it yet, but I will be at some point)

similar to: Sweet Things / "Use Cool Whip Free, skim milk, and 1 oreo per serving. 1 points plus." -- When I was pregnant, I was OBSESSED with cookies & cream milkshakes... I think this one would have saved me a few pounds.

Sweet Things / Grilled dessert: banana s'mores - try with half a banana...but I hate banana so I dunno

Currently my fav: Sweet Things / - apples + cinnamon + oven @ 200 degrees = homemade apple chips. Yum! The baking of the apple makes it super sweet (I suggest using red delicious), sprinkle a teeeeeeensy bit of sugar, and a bunch of cinnamon- yum!
    Thank you so much! I will try all of these!!!

www.SnarkyFit.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast