Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPD or other sensory problems?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Make sure his clothes don't have any spots that rub or irritate him. A pressure point that a typical person would never notice can drive an SPD kid wild. If it is anything that leaves any sort of red mark or imprint on his skin, it's probably working him up. You might even experiment with allowing him to be naked or in just underwear. That might seem counter-intuitive since it is the opposite of the weighted vest, but it might be worth considering as something that is feeding the problem.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Are you wanting more ideas that will help like the basket or resources to look for?

Have you tried "Making a pizza" or "burrito"? Basically, you roll him up kinda tight in a blanket on the floor (kinda rough and tumble play he probably likes) and then rub up and down his back, roll him around on the carpet (while still wrapped); the "burrito" is one he's going to LOVE or HATE so watch his cues . Try having him push against a wall as hard as he can (make a game out of it), did he like the heavy lifting/pushing a heavy basket across the floor? Is there somewhere he can jump around/jump on and then "crash" into something soft? Or make a mountain out of pillows and let him flop onto it and then kind of push them all around him.

I love this book...don't get scared by the "Autism/Spectrum" stuff...there is a LOT of sensory info too.
    The Out-of-sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Integration ... - Carol Stock Kranowitz - Google Books

Keep track (I know it's hard ) of what you notice that seems to relax him and what seems to stimulate him; sometimes, kids with sensory issues can get stuff "backwards" (ie: a soft touch can wire him up instead of calm him down like most kids). The vest is going to work great, but he can't wear it all the time. Maybe try a weighted blanket or have him hold a sack of sugar/flour (wrapped in a ziplock baggie/something he can't open, or you WILL have a mess) on his lap for the weight. If you decide to use a weighted blanket, remember to take it off of him after he falls asleep.

Hope that helps a bit. Let me know if you have more questions...I'll try to get you some more resources too.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

3. Senior Member
    Thank you all so much for answering! This week was his first OT session, so I know that as we go, they will share more. She said to do lots of 'heavy work' with him and make Aidan sandwiches with pillows, etc. I want to look at getting him a weighted blanket and also a 3 pound medicine ball. I really really really want to get him an iPad. I don't know if we'd be able to get help with it from tricare or not, but we can't afford one without help. More then anything, I want him to be ok. I'm curious if he has an actual dx of SPD or what. And I really really need to find ways to explain to peoe that he has sensory problems, so that they don't just come up and touch him and get him all wound up. There's one girl a church that I often want to throttle, and I'm waiting for the day that she pushes him too far and he wails her. No amount of me telling her not to has stopped her. It's really frustrating. And I know the second he hits her, it's going to be my fault. I just want to everything I can to help him and I have no idea where to start, nor any idea how to explain any of this to dh, who has been deployed through the whole evaluation/diagnosis/therapy.
  4. Senior Member
    I'm on the verge of loosing my mind. I don't know why, but Aidan is out of control this week. We had a really busy weekend (he even went in a adult pool!!) and then my mom had surgery on Monday, so his regular schedule is off, but holy shit. He is doing every single sensory thing. Spinning, toe walking, banging his head on stuff, bounching off the walls and furniture. He RARELY does all of these things at the same time, but for the last 2 days, he's just going ballistic. His beach group got cancelled on Friday, and there's not group this week due to the holiday, so we don't see any of his therapists until Tuesday, but I'm honestly not sure I'm going to make it that long. I just, OMG, I want to crawl into a hole. I can't do anything to calm him. He's been eating the window sill, and 2x I've had to pull chips of paint out of his mouth. (there's not lead in the house, we had all of the paint tested before we bought it). I finally covered the windowsill in packing tape, because I just don't know what else to do! I just want to cry
  5. Senior Member
    Seamless clothing (if his clothes bother him) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Senso...08715629151352

Has he ever been on a trampoline? They have those mini ones that you could keep in the house if he likes the jumping (Amazon.com: Pure Fun 9002MT 38-inch Mini Trampoline: Sports & Outdoors)

Since he is chewing on the window sill you might want to try an oral sensory toy: Oral Motor Tools, Autism Chew Toys, Chewy Tubes, Sensory Chewies and More - National Autism Resources

You should read The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz

Here is a blog you may want to check out also: Rhode Island Mommas: Learning about Sensory Processing Disorder

And this link talks about how to explain it to others! http://chicagoplayproject.com/explai...-and-children/
    ~Sara~
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Seamless clothing (if his clothes bother him) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Senso...08715629151352

Has he ever been on a trampoline? They have those mini ones that you could keep in the house if he likes the jumping (Amazon.com: Pure Fun 9002MT 38-inch Mini Trampoline: Sports & Outdoors)

Since he is chewing on the window sill you might want to try an oral sensory toy: Oral Motor Tools, Autism Chew Toys, Chewy Tubes, Sensory Chewies and More - National Autism Resources

You should read The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz

Here is a blog you may want to check out also: Rhode Island Mommas: Learning about Sensory Processing Disorder

And this link talks about how to explain it to others! Explaining Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) to family members, teachers and children
    Thank you so much!! ive been looking for a way to explain it to my inlaws they think that the only problem is dh being deployed, and that Aidan will be magically be fine the second he comes home
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyMama View Post
    Thank you all so much for answering! This week was his first OT session, so I know that as we go, they will share more. She said to do lots of 'heavy work' with him and make Aidan sandwiches with pillows, etc. I want to look at getting him a weighted blanket and also a 3 pound medicine ball. I really really really want to get him an iPad. I don't know if we'd be able to get help with it from tricare or not, but we can't afford one without help. More then anything, I want him to be ok. I'm curious if he has an actual dx of SPD or what. And I really really need to find ways to explain to peoe that he has sensory problems, so that they don't just come up and touch him and get him all wound up. There's one girl a church that I often want to throttle, and I'm waiting for the day that she pushes him too far and he wails her. No amount of me telling her not to has stopped her. It's really frustrating. And I know the second he hits her, it's going to be my fault. I just want to everything I can to help him and I have no idea where to start, nor any idea how to explain any of this to dh, who has been deployed through the whole evaluation/diagnosis/therapy.
    Why/How is he receiving OT with no diagnosis? You could take him to a developmental pediatrician, child psychologist, or both. Your pediatrician can give you a referral. Trying to treat a child for an unknown diagnosis is not fair to them or you. You have to know what you are treating before you can treat it. Also, be careful about following advice you get from others. Every child is different, this includes children with SPD. Tri-care has a lot of intervention programs available to families with children with special needs.The psychologist or developmental pedi should be able to set you in the right direction.
  8. Gone Hiking
    Gone Hiking
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12