Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hearing impaired/deaf kid + army bases = ?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    You mentioned OCONUS. I think there is probably very little chance of you getting command sponsorship for your daughter for just about anywhere OCONUS. Having the services is much, much different than begin willing to commit to having a spot available whenever you need it. The military is really, really cracking down on command sponsorship and EFMP.

I suppose anything is possible, but I wouldn't get your heart set on OCONUS. And if he purses OCONUS orders and your daughter is denied, he might still have to go without you, so there is a risk there, which you'll want to consider before launching yourself down that route.

Good luck to you. I hope you find a situation that works better for you.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    opinions are like assholes...everyone has one....and ususally shit comes out of both. so unless you have a child who is hard of hearing & located in nova....it's literally impossible for you to have an opinion based on experience. this area is flooded with efmp. hospital would agree...it has major hospitals, but so does every major city (and john Hopkins in literally 2 hrs away. I know I see cardio there). that being said, this isn't our first rodeo & we have exhausted all options for education based services. we have the only child at our duty station that is hoh & is double aided & requires services due to her hearing impairment (educational) . true story. so before you start making assumptions, realize everyone's situation is different. my daughter is not wheelchair bound, and to be frank, she would probably receive better services if she was in that situation. but since her medical needs is basic hearing equipment...her receiving medical support isn't our top priority. she is healthy...just deaf/hoh
    however, there are 3 Germany duty stations that support our level & services our daughter needs. one in japan, one in korea. (if you click on the link a couple replies above), you will see what works for your family (they list all duty stations for all branches of services & what they can support educationally) . we aren't necessarily set on going overseas. there are benefits for our careers to be stationed abroad, but it's not something we are dying to get. (we've spent most of our careers overseas). I just was interested if other deaf/hoh parents had any personnel experiences on duty stations that excel in deaf/hoh kids.
  3. Senior Member
    Aren't you unpleasant? I think you are misunderstanding the way overseas screens work. Having the services is not even close to the same as meaning you will get approved. But since you just want to insult people who are trying to help, and be dismissive and defensive, I doubt anyone else here is going to bother trying to help. Which seems fine, since clearly you don't want our help. So good luck to you and your family, with whatever comes next.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by krlipinski View Post
    opinions are like assholes...everyone has one....and ususally shit comes out of both. so unless you have a child who is hard of hearing & located in nova....it's literally impossible for you to have an opinion based on experience. this area is flooded with efmp. hospital would agree...it has major hospitals, but so does every major city (and john Hopkins in literally 2 hrs away. I know I see cardio there). that being said, this isn't our first rodeo & we have exhausted all options for education based services. we have the only child at our duty station that is hoh & is double aided & requires services due to her hearing impairment (educational) . true story. so before you start making assumptions, realize everyone's situation is different. my daughter is not wheelchair bound, and to be frank, she would probably receive better services if she was in that situation. but since her medical needs is basic hearing equipment...her receiving medical support isn't our top priority. she is healthy...just deaf/hoh
    however, there are 3 Germany duty stations that support our level & services our daughter needs. one in japan, one in korea. (if you click on the link a couple replies above), you will see what works for your family (they list all duty stations for all branches of services & what they can support educationally) . we aren't necessarily set on going overseas. there are benefits for our careers to be stationed abroad, but it's not something we are dying to get. (we've spent most of our careers overseas). I just was interested if other deaf/hoh parents had any personnel experiences on duty stations that excel in deaf/hoh kids.
    MMK..
    I was only offering a suggestion and help.
    I do live in NOVA and I have a special needs child, albeit not a deaf one. I also have friends with deaf child and more severe special needs that live in this area, all military. All specifically stay here because of the services. So, I was simply surprised to hear that you cannot find the services for your daughter, considering what I know and my own experiences.. and what friends have told.. but ok.

I hope you get the answers you want, I still state that needs of the military come first, so if they want your husband and your daughter is denied then he could still go. And just because a base/area can service her doesn't mean they have the room to.

It may be because of her efmp that you are limited to where you go. That's all we were saying. And even if one family with a child exactly like yours is able to get approved, doesn't mean you or another family will.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I don't think I am unpleasant, just being honest. I don't understand how someone can give an opinion when they do not have a child that is deaf/hoh. i fully understand how oversea screenings work. I've been there done that multiple times. i think you have a case of the assumptions. which i find rather unpleasant. i am not defensive about any of this, ppl are gonna call me out or say i do not know what i am speaking about...i will reply. i am dismissing poor replies. no deaf/hoh kid...no opinion that matters
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I don't think I am unpleasant, just being honest. I don't understand how someone can give an opinion when they do not have a child that is deaf/hoh. i fully understand how oversea screenings work. I've been there done that multiple times. i think you have a case of the assumptions. which i find rather unpleasant. i am not defensive about any of this, ppl are gonna call me out or say i do not know what i am speaking about...i will reply. i am dismissing poor replies. no deaf/hoh kid...no opinion that matters
    Then perhaps you should change your title to "Only Deaf/HOH parents respond please" because otherwise you will get nothing but general information regarding EFMP and people's personal experiences with special needs children (all kinds of special needs). To dismiss all opinions unless they are only of deaf/hoh children is just.. whatever.. change your OP and title if all you want is to hear from deaf/hoh parents.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    we are both service members. i am fully aware that the military comes first. hooah.
    we are not necessarily "trying" to go overseas. would it benefit our military careers....yes.
    does it mean we will... trying to figure that out.
    also, still trying to figure out which duty stations have the resources to actually deal with hoh/deaf kids....not on paper, but in practice.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    i figured, people who had no experience with dead/hoh kids...wouldn't open their mouths. my bad, for asking a wives group!
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    we are both service members. i am fully aware that the military comes first. hooah.
    we are not necessarily "trying" to go overseas. would it benefit our military careers....yes.
    does it mean we will... trying to figure that out.
    also, still trying to figure out which duty stations have the resources to actually deal with hoh/deaf kids....not on paper, but in practice.
    This is one you may have to research yourself, unless someone here has hoh/deaf children. Even if they say X, Y and Z base are good, it doesn't mean you can get in, its based on availability. I would suggest (and do with it what you want) to look at bases that you can go to and see the services available for your daughter. I mean you know what services she needs, none of here will, because I would guess even another deaf/hoh parent wouldn't need the exact same services as your daughter. It shouldn't take long or much to find out what services are available at what duty stations you want.

Or do you want someone to specifically tell you that base X, Y and Z have crap services but A, B, and C have great ones?

10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    i figured, people who had no experience with dead/hoh kids...wouldn't open their mouths. my bad, for asking a wives group!
    You did ask somewhat of a general question. Yes, you stated your child is deaf/hoh but your question was somewhat generalized, as in 'what services does a base have' or 'what bases can we go to' or 'can we go here if my daughter has efmp'... those questions are general to many efmp families.

And your attitude is unbecoming... you weren't being attacked, just because you aren't getting the people you want to respond doesn't mean you have to be rude to those of us that are...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast