Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Son diagnosed with Asperger's today.

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Son diagnosed with Asperger's today.

Advertisements
    Hello all. I haven't posted much yet, I find it hard to just jump right in. I have a question though!

My oldest son(6, 7 in July) was diagnosed with mild Asperger's Syndrome today. He had a full evaluation a few weeks ago and we finally got the feedback today. They also tested him for ADHD(I think it's just standard practice now maybe because I never brought it up as a concern?) and he does not have that.

He will not require any ongoing psychiatric care as of now and needs no medication. We are going to put him in a social therapy group this June to help him identify some of the emotions that people can display that he doesn't necessarily always pick up on very easily but his psych said that with as much progress as he's made these last few months socially, he doesn't think that the group sessions will need to be a long term thing for him. He's at a great age right now to learn how to pick up on ques from other people as to what they are feeling right then, so hopefully it will help him.

My question is about EFMP and categories. Am I right in assuming I need to enroll him in EFMP? We are Air Force, if that matters. Do I just contact the coordinator at our base hospital to set that up? After I fill out all of the paperwork, any idea about how long until we find out what category he'll be placed in? His psych is civilian one as the base one blew us off so he's not sure, he just said our son has a pretty mild version and won't need much intervention.

My husband is currently in Guam right now and this summer he'll come home for about 2ish months and then turn around and go to training/Korea for 13 months. After that we will be PCSing, we just do not know where yet. We are supposed to find out in Sept. We did put 5 OCONUS bases on our list and 8 CONUS(we submitted the list before DS was evaluated/diagnosed). While we'd love to go overseas, I'm now worried about them medically denying us. That in itself is fine, we'd deal with it but the problem is that we can't submit the medical clearance paperwork until we're 6 months out from PCSing there which would be next June. So basically, we'd find out in Sept that we got oh say... Lakenheath, we'd have to wait to submit the paperwork next June and then just wait for them to deny or accept us. I've heard about more denials than acceptances so I'm preparing myself to have them deny us. It's fine, I understand that if they don't feel they can adequately care for him that it's better for us to be at a CONUS base that can but I just hate having to wait so long to submit it all and then get denied and then have to turn around and wait for them to choose a base off of our conus list.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone have a child that has mild asperger's? Really, his only issues are that he tends to be awkward socially and that he has a harder time learning verbally. He gets bored in class sometimes so starts chatting with his neighbors when he should be paying attention to his teacher. He is definitely improving in that area though and it has not affected his grades.

What category are children with asperger's generally put into? Is there any way I can find out which bases accept which categories? I tried googling but this EFMP stuff is all new to me so I'm feeling a little lost.

Oh, and does anyone know about Lakenheath, Mildenhall, Spangdahlem, Ramstein or Aviano and if they usually accept children with asperger's? I'm hoping yes since he doesn't require any special medication or care! We'd love to be stationed overseas but ultimately, our son's health needs are more important so I just want to know if I should expect for any overseas orders to be cancelled and us get rerouted to a conus base. I'm no good at the hurry up and wait, heh. I should be as DH has been in 10 years this summer but yeah, not my strong suit!

Thanks much for any and all answers!
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Nevermind, I got ahold of the EFMP coordinator here on base finally and she was able to answer most of my questions.