Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Info about schools for a kid with ADHD

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by motorpoolwifey View Post
    I would first get your pcm to get involved. Then do what the pp have suggested. I would also get in contact with EFM office even though you may not be able to get into the program they have awsome advice, numbers and the forms to get the written notices to the people you need to get in contact with.
    Oh yeah! I forgot, EFMP will send advocates with you to IEP and school meetings! Smart thinking

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    ADHD does qualify for EFMP.
  3. Senior Member

San Diego's programs are really, really good for kids with "exception" needs on both ends of the spectrum. Meet with the schools appropriate reps and get an IEP made. She'll be fine.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjrmub425 View Post
    My dd has ADHD and we are transferring to San Diego, CA soon and i was wondering if anybody had any reccomendations for the best school out there for her? We are in Great Lakes, IL right now and the schools have been so bad for her she is only in kindergarten i did not know this was going to be so difficult i just want to make sure she is in the right school.
    I'm not sure if you're still looking for schools, but I suggest you look into Vista Grande Elementary if you are going the public school route. My daughter has a more serious form of dyslexia which has led to some behavioral problems. This school has been amazing for us. They have given us such emotional support on top of educational support. The principal at the school has walked in the shoes as a parent of a child with a serious learning disability back when it was still pretty taboo and *bad parenting* to have a child who was (for lack of better word) different. The school has autistic children, students with ADHD, ADD, Down's Syndrome, etc. The list goes on of the different needs of students that have come through. The staff is very proactive in making sure the needs of students are met. If you are still on the hunt for a school, stop by and have a chat with the principal, ask for a tour.
    "What's so good about good-bye? It is good to be reminded that life is brief, at best, with no dress rehearsals, and the seasons we are privileged to share together are even more fleeting. Good-bye is good if it teaches us to cherish the life and breath, strength and sound mind, and the moments we are allowed to walk side by side with a friend. Good-bye is good if, in that difficult moment, we stand still long enough to give thanks to God for the lessons we've learned together, the love given, and the love received, recognizing that these are gifts from the hand of God." ~Marshele Carter Waddell
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I was told that vista grande was not as good as tierrasanta school and that the san diego schools were actually trying to close that school dont know if that is true just wondering. I dont know which school would be better for her we will be there in march though so i have to choose soon.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjrmub425 View Post
    I was told that vista grande was not as good as tierrasanta school and that the san diego schools were actually trying to close that school dont know if that is true just wondering. I dont know which school would be better for her we will be there in march though so i have to choose soon.
    I'm sure by now you have settled on a school, but just in case others happen to come across this post I wanted to clarify that yes Vista Grande was on the closure list (as were many other AMAZING elementary schools such as Marvin Elementary), but Vista Grande is now off the school closure list. Our teachers, foundation, parents, and Tierrasanta community members fought hard and fast against the school board; because our school did not belong on that list. The reason they were trying to close VG is because of low neighborhood enrollment (meaning the number of students within the boundaries of VG was low), which they tried to say was costing the school district too much money to bus kids in. However we have a very high choice number of students, most of whom are driven by their parents, not bused. Those are students who's parents have CHOSEN to place their child in VG and chosen to commute (some as far as Chula Vista and Escondido) because they felt it was the best place for their child. Anyone interested in the facts about Vista Grande can visit Home and check out Vista Grande.

*Disclaimer* I am not saying Tierrasanta is bad, I have friends who are very happy there (though they do not have IEP experience). I really wanted to clarify that Vista Grande is not on the closure list. I also wanted to share that from my personal experience as an IEP parent, I have not had nor can I imagine a better IEP team for my child. (Vista Grande is the second school we've navigated the IEP waters in)
    "What's so good about good-bye? It is good to be reminded that life is brief, at best, with no dress rehearsals, and the seasons we are privileged to share together are even more fleeting. Good-bye is good if it teaches us to cherish the life and breath, strength and sound mind, and the moments we are allowed to walk side by side with a friend. Good-bye is good if, in that difficult moment, we stand still long enough to give thanks to God for the lessons we've learned together, the love given, and the love received, recognizing that these are gifts from the hand of God." ~Marshele Carter Waddell
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    They actually put my husbands orders on hold both because they wanted him here longer and they blamed it on my pregnancy which i am ok with so we are here until after the baby is born in june so she will start 1st grade there in august or sept whenever they start we dont have an address yet since its still 3.5 months away till we move with our 4 kids and two dogs so not looking forward to that one. anyway i called the district office and they said i cant do anything for schools until we get there and have an address and by then the choice lists will be filled up and my daughter will be on a waiting list. my son will also be old enough for pre-school but dont know if any of these schools do that just thought i would throw that out just in case anyone knew about that.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123