Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Month

1. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl

Help Vegetarian Month *UPDATE post 4*

Advertisements
    So I've decided to go vegetarian for a month. Basically, a while ago I started eating only organic meats and have significantly reduced the amount of meat I consume and cook (so in effect DF has been doing it to). There are several reasons for doing it, environment, health, cost, ethics. I dont want to go into it, but basically I decided I would try to go vegetarian for a month. Yesterday was day 1, no problems! Today is day 2 and I've got it under control.

In light of October being vegetarian month and my trying to eat vegetarian for a month I was hoping people would post heir FAVORITE vegetarian meals that I HAVE to try and hopefully incorporate into my lifestyle after this month
    Last edited by LittleBlueFishie; 11-14-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
    yeah, after a very long time of not using it I am trying to blog again!
  2. sassypants
    sassypants
    Do you want vegitarian or vegan> I have a TON of both
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  3. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggleWiggle~ View Post
    Do you want vegitarian or vegan> I have a TON of both
    Vegetarian. Thank you!!

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Tonight I am making veggie enchiladas casserole.

Sauté mushrooms, onion, green chilies, and zucchini.
    Dip corn tortillas in green sauce and layer on bottom of backing dish.
    Next layer of sautéed veggies and cheese.
    Layer of dipped corn tortillas.
    More veggies and cheese.
    Last layers of corn tortillas and topped with the rest of the sauce and some cheese.
    Then bake at 350 degrees until everything is cooked through.

You could make them more of the rolled kind too, that just more work then I want to put in. Black olives are also an option, DH doesn't really like them so I am not using them.
  5. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    So I wanted to give a quick update. I am almost at my 1 month and I have to say this has been a great experience. There have been 2 occasions that I ate meat: 1 to try something that will be at our wedding and 2 on complete accident, it was in a taco.

While I am not going to go 100% vegetarian, I was happy to see how easily I could alter my diet without a negative impact. I think in the future I will cut back on my meat intake substantially. I was surprised at how much DF participated and supported me. He has actually cooked vegetarian meals for us and has to eat less meat long term.

Adventures In Love
  6. H.A.M. since 1987
    H.A.M. since 1987
    Blog Entries
    kudos to you for doing that! i don't think i could give up cheeseburgers. my step-mom is kind of a vegetarian as she doesn't eat red meat or pork, just chicken really. sometimes not even that. i did a diet-like thing where my roommate and i didn't eat anything that was produced from an animal..so it was basically all vegetables, rice and salsa. it was a great and challenging experience.
    "..and we're the 3 best friends that anyone could have."
    briannanoel is the best wifey ever!
    A Team
    Blog Entries

Last year when I was trying to lose weight and I reduced my calories by a lot and was eating super healthy (ie egg whites, fruits, veggies, etc) I cut out a lot of meat and it wasn't even intentional! I stuck mainly to chicken and fish but when I had either I was super picky (i HATE dry meat), so I hardly ate it. It felt really good to eat healthy All of that went out the window after DH got back from boot camp though I want to try and do it again, and stick with it, but it costs soooo much more to eat healthy and money is super tight right now

I am so glad you were able to do it and stuck with it!!! DH would absolutely never give up meat. He's a meataholic, and I think he would look at me funny if I went vegetarian, but he would support me nonetheless so long as I didn't nag him about eating emat

So now I have to ask if YOU have any favorite recipes?
    This girl is gearing up for ANG!

islandxgirl:My bestie, my love, my wifey since 06/22/11
  8. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    I did still eat fish and eggs, 1-2 times a week. I actually lost 3 pounds. That was not the intent of the diet, but I happily took the side effect. I also added quinoa to my diet a lot. I love it!

I'll have to come back later and post some recipes. There were a ton of salads that I ate and loved too. I put quinoa in almost all of them to give me some extra protein and fiber.

Adventures In Love
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishie View Post
    So I wanted to give a quick update. I am almost at my 1 month and I have to say this has been a great experience. There have been 2 occasions that I ate meat: 1 to try something that will be at our wedding and 2 on complete accident, it was in a taco.

While I am not going to go 100% vegetarian, I was happy to see how easily I could alter my diet without a negative impact. I think in the future I will cut back on my meat intake substantially. I was surprised at how much DF participated and supported me. He has actually cooked vegetarian meals for us and has to eat less meat long term.

Ooo whats your wedding meal going to be?!

Also this is good to know! I will look to you for inspiration as I try to do that part time I have secretly always wanted to try this but never thought I could do it.. I always thought going veg with no meat would bring a negative impact on your body...
    Can your DF rub off on my DH so we can get him to do the same sometime too? heheheh
  10. I love Mikey!!
    I love Mikey!!
    My DH and I are doing the same thing. We used the mcdougal cookbook. It's awesome. We tried juicing first to detox from the meat . Now we are just vegetarians. Way cheaper on the grocery bill.

I make veggie Thai massamum curry.
    With brown rice cooked separately.
    Coconut milk 14 oz can
    Vegan red curry paste
    All natural chunk peanut butter
    Potatoes diced
    Zuchinni diced
    Eggplant peeled and salted ( drains liquid and decreases bitterness)
    turmeric
    Sucatant natural sugar
    Red pepper flakes

Ok so I know it sounds like a lot but it's awesome and so yummy
    First dice up your veggies and potatoes. Take eggplant salt and set on paper towels. Meanwhile add coco milk ,peanut butter and red curry paste. Bring to a simmer add potatoes. Sauté shallots and add to simmering pot. Add zuchinni and eggplant. Keep tasting your simmering mixture and add rest of spices to your tastes, including sugars. When the potatoes are done its done. Serve over brown rice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast