Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meal ideas for vegetarians with non-veg partners

1. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries

Meal ideas for vegetarians with non-veg partners

Advertisements
    I told Kitten I would post this a few days ago, but totally spaced it.

My favorite recipe is a Mediterranean pasta salad:

pasta (penne or bowtie)
    artichoke hearts (marinated in oil is best)
    kalamata olives
    grape tomatoes
    dressing - the easiest to find is a parmesan & herb dressing. I use an artichoke & garlic tapenade. Just make sure the flavors work well together.

Mix it all up! For him, I cook a chicken breast in lemon olive oil and cut it up.

-----

Stuffed peppers

There are plenty of veg recipes out there, or you can use a meat substitute for the sausage. The Jennie-O turkey sausage is very lean if you want to use that for him. The prep is a bit of a pain if you use a meatless and a meat version (have to mix them separately with the sauce, cheese, rice, etc.) but still easier than making two meals.

---

Spaghetti. Make some meatballs (or turkey meatballs) on the side for him. Sauteed eggplant is delicious if you want to cook some up for you! He may find that he likes that more than the meatballs.

---

Baked spaghetti or baked mac & cheese. Meatless comfort foods!

---

Ravioli. Costco has a super yummy spinach & cheese ravioli in their frozen section. Even my meat-eater doesn't complain when that is what's for dinner.

---

Homemade pizza. You can brown some sausage for his half, and have just veggies on your half.

---

I've been pretty brain-drained lately with midterms, so this isn't anywhere near an exhaustive list, but it's all I can think of off the top of my head. I didn't want you to think I had forgotten about you!
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  2. Senior Member
    I make a great meatless chili. I've made it for plenty of meat eaters in the past and everyone loved it. Sometimes when I make it, I will brown up some hamburger, separately, so that DH can add it his but I can have mine without.

Please PM me if you're interested in the recipe.
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You can buy veggie crumbles (TVP- textured vegetable protein).... and substitute it for hamburger in things like chili, spaghetti sauces, tacos, nachos, etc.

DB and I recently made a big pot of spaghetti sauce and brought it to a family get-together.... his dad, the ultimate man's man... didn't even notice the difference.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I am a meat eater, the wife's eating disorder is vegetarianism. I deal with this all time.

Salad's with fixin's on the side, each with something only one of us likes.

Caesar salad. You can get vegan worchestshire sauce.

Vegetable stir fry with rice, and slices of meat can be cooked quickly after in the same wok, and put on the carni's plate...

White tofu, drain it, press it, slice it and marinate it, then cook it in a forman grill.

lots of middle eastern dishes...Humus salads, tomato basil and mozzerella.

veggie quesadilla's

I will think of more...

also, portobello mushrooms is a great meat substitute.

Omletes...be creative...also "breakfast burritos"
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. il Mio cuore il tuo per sempre
    il Mio cuore il tuo per sempre
    What's your preferred marinade for tofu?
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsHooah916 View Post
    What's your preferred marinade for tofu?
    italian dressing; rice wine viniger with a little honey; a little tamari sauce; balsamic vinger with a little olive oil.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. il Mio cuore il tuo per sempre
    il Mio cuore il tuo per sempre
    Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    italian dressing; rice wine viniger with a little honey; a little tamari sauce; balsamic vinger with a little olive oil.
    Thanks! I've used bbq sauce and soy sauce. I did not enjoy the bbq. I sautee mine to brown it and then bake it to get a bit more texture to it.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsHooah916 View Post
    Thanks! I've used bbq sauce and soy sauce. I did not enjoy the bbq. I sautee mine to brown it and then bake it to get a bit more texture to it.
    press out excess liquid, dredge very lightly in corn startch, fry lightly, and dip and a sauce of rice viniger with a little honey.
  9. Senior Member
    I <3 this thread! I look forward to hopefully hearing more recipes and ideas
  10. "Just Keep Swimming, just keep swimming...swimming swimming"
    "Just Keep Swimming, just keep swimming...swimming swimming"
    Broccoli, Rice, and awesome cheesyness Add chicken for the carnivore...

For grilling season, a giant portobella mushroom - brush with EVOO, add fresh spinach leaves, sundried tomatoes, and feta...grill the bottom of the shroom first, then add your toppers...then stick in oven to get all oooooey goooey yum yum

Stuffed Tomatoes...Baja style
    Cut up some avacado, red onion, and bell pepper. Add some corn niblets and black beans. Toss in some canola oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar with a sprinkle of sugar (to your taste more bitter or more sweet) salt pepper and garlic powder to taste...oh yeah and fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime...for him skip the tomato and just grill a steak or chicken breast and cover with the yummy baja stuffing

cous cous with a curry cream sauce
    make cous cous as directed...it's easy peasy...
    mix sour cream with yellow curry paste or red curry paste
    cook veggies that you enjoy like mushrooms, broccoli, snow peas, carrots, onions, water chesnuts, bamboo shoots...whatev...in fresh minced garlic and hit them with a dash of soy sauce, salt, pepper.
    Add Diced chicken for the meat eater...
    Put veggies and/or chicken on cous cous and top with cream sauce voila

These are just a few ideas...

I moonlight as a part time chef...so hit me up if you want some more ideas
    My SO is the BEST Christmas present I have ever received!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast