Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low salt? Salt free?

Banned

Help Low salt? Salt free?

Advertisements
    My uncle ended up in the hospital last week for congestive heart failure. Well now they have him on a no-to-low salt diet. Yesterday, when I went to see him, he said that nothing he was eating now had any flavor.

Does anyone have any recipes that I can give my aunt to help him not hate his new diet?
  2. he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    i've been on a low-sodium diet before!!!

there's a kind of mrs. dash brand seasoning that's sodium free. that stuff was my life saver!!! i would add it to everything.

honestly... if you take foods you love, and cook them at home you cut out SO much salt already. its all packaged and preserved food thats soooo high in it. restaurants are so impossible. ugh.
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rad sugar View Post
    i've been on a low-sodium diet before!!!

there's a kind of mrs. dash brand seasoning that's sodium free. that stuff was my life saver!!! i would add it to everything.

honestly... if you take foods you love, and cook them at home you cut out SO much salt already. its all packaged and preserved food thats soooo high in it. restaurants are so impossible. ugh.
    Actually, they have already found that Mimi's Cafe has a section of their menu devoted to low sodium.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    We've gone low-sodium since my husband's diagnosis of diabetes. I put some really good low-sodium recipes in the recipe forum. Really, stuff is SOOOOOO good! It's easier than you think to go low sodium, just stay away from canned goods and packaged dnners (helpers, instant potatoes, noodle mixes, jarred spaghetti sauce, etc).

Go through the cabinets and get rid of canned veggies, boxed potatoes (including instant), helpers, noodle packages, ramens, stuff like that. Give it all to the local food bank.

When you grocery shop, read the labels- it's amazing how much stuff is really high in sodium. And don't forget about hidden sodium in condiments, like soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. You can get low-sodium and reduced-sodium soy sauce (it's really good), reduced-sodium chicken and beef broths (also very good), reduced-sodium soups, etc.

It's not as hard as you'd think, you just have to really watch and read the labels.
  5. he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    eelo rules.

and i totally forgot about mimi's low-sodium menu. that place rocks in general!!!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    CRAP, the recipes I posted are gone! Okay, I'll re-post the ones we like the best.

Saucy Beef with Broccoli

1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
    1/4 cup sherry or additional broth (we use broth; sherry will make the sauce richer)
    2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
    1/2 pound lean boneless beef sirloin, cut into 1/4-inch strips
    2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
    2 cups fresh broccoli florets
    2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
    8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces

1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. in a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in 1 teaspoon oil for 1-2 minuts or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.

2. n the same pan, stir-fry broccoli and carrots in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add oinions; stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Return beef to the pan.

3. Stir cornstarch mixture and gradually add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 5-6 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.

Nutritional facts: 1-1/4 cup = 313 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 816 mg soduim, 20g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 29g protein
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Barbecue Beef Sandwiches

1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
    2 celery ribs, sliced
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
    1/4 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    6 hamburger buns, split

1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.

2. Stir in the tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Brign to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Spoon 3/4 cup onto each bun.

Nitrition facts: 1 sandwich = 348 calories, 11g fat (4 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 719 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean mean, 2 starch.

This one is surprisingly good. you can reduce the sodium even further by using reduced-sodium tomato sauce (although I've found the store brand is actually lower), Worestershire, and other condiments if possible.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Veggie-Topped Tilapia

(we've done this with cod, orange roughy, and halibut, all mega-yummy; and we're not big fish-eaters)

4 tilapia fillets (5 ounces each)
    1/3 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth (I use the broth)
    1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning (I use Old Bay)
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 medium yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
    1 medium red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
    1 small tomato, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
    1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (not the grated stuff)

1. lace fillets in a 13x9 in shallow baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with wine or broth; sprinkle with seafood seasoning. Combine the onion, peppers, tomato, lemon juice, oil and garlic powder in a small bowl; toss and spoon over fillets.

2. Cover with foil and bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and fish flakes easily with a fork.

Nutrition facts: 1 fillet = 192 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 233 mg sodium, 8 g arbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 4 very lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I get a pork tenderloin that has two pieces, do the Teriyaki pork with one piece and make spicy pork tenderloin skewers with the other piece (needs to marinade)

Teriyaki Port

3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
    1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons honey
    1 teaspoon garlic powder (more to taste if desired; can go up to 2 teaspoons)
    1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into thin strips
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    2 cups fresh broccoli florets
    3 medium carrots, sliced
    3 celery ribs, sliced
    4 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/2 small head)
    6 green onions, sliced
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    Hot cooked rice, optional

1. In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup broth, soy sauce, vinegar, honey and garlic powder. pour 1/3 cup marinade into large plastic resealable bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour. Refrigerate remaining marinade.

2. Drain and discard marinade from pork. In large nonstick skillet, stir-fry pork in oil 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, stir-fry broccoli and carrots in reserved marinade 2 minutes. Add cabbage and green onions; stir-fry 2-3 minutes longer or intil vegetables are crisp-tender.

3. Combine cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to boil; cook and stir until thickened. Return pork to the pan; heat through. Serve with rice if desired.

Nutritional facts: 1-1/2 cup stir-fry mixture 9calculated without rice) = 302 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat0, 63 mg cholesterol, 802 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 30 g protein.

Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.

I usually make this with only 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. It's plenty spicy like that, but go heavier if you like things REALLY spicy. I cook these up on a George Foreman grill, haven't done them on skewers on a charcoal grill yet. I serve the chunks in a pita or on a tortilla with lettuce, a cool sauce like tzatziki or a little ranch dressing, and some chunked roma tomatoes.

Spicy Pork Tenderloin Skewers

1 large onion, chopped
    1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon each coriander and ground cumin
    1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes

1. In a blender, combine the first 11 ingredients; cover and process until smooth. pour into a large resealable plastic bag; add pork chunks. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.

2. Drain and discard marinade. Thread pork cubes onto six metal or soaked wooden skewers. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until juices run clear, turning occasionally.

Nutrition facts: 1 skewer = 175 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.
    Diabetic exahanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Thyme Chicken Marsala
    (I use the broth, not the wine)

2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
    1 medium carrot, julienned
    1 small sweet yellow or red bell pepper, julienned
    3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup marsala or reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme

1. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness. Add flour and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper; shake to coat. Set aside.

2. In a large skilelt, saute carrot and bell pepper in 1-1/2 tablespoons oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic and remaining salt and pepper; cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender. Transfer to two serving plates; keep warm.

3. In the same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Cook chiken for 2-3 minutes on each side or until juices run clear; place over vegetables. Add wine or broth and thyme; cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen browned bits. Pour over chicken.

Nutrition facts: 1 chicken breast half with vegetables = 285 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 365 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein.

Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast