Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Healthy Meals

1. Regular Member

Help Need Healthy Meals

Advertisements
    I'm trying to lose weight after have my daughter. It is so hard for me to find healthy things to eat. A lot of it is so expensive. So i've been eating tomato soup and the lean pockets everyday. I'm so tired of eating that all the time. Does anyone have some good recipes I can try.
    Last edited by Army Wife; 09-21-2008 at 09:50 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    Well, I am not really sure of the caloric content or anything like that, but I try to eat healthy meals. You could try baking chicken, even a whole chicken is not that expensive and can feed a few people. With the right spices baked chicken is wonderful. Brown rices, vegetables, and salads are not terribly expensive, but it all depends on what you all like as a family. My husband and I eat chicken legs on a weekly basis, with a mixture of honey, olive oil, ketchup, and soy sauce as the baking sauce. I know it sounds strange, but it's out of this world. I am not sure if it's all that healthy, but it's better than fried foods, or eating out. I hope you can find something you like soon. Good luck!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i dont know any recipes because i am a sucky cook.... but i did weight watchers for a really long time and still remember some tricks... frozen dinners such as smart ones and healthy choice are really yummy.... if you can find specials on them they're even better!!! i got them last week 4/$10! for weight watchers, some of the lean pockets were more points than a whole frozen dinner!!!! fruits and veggies are the biggest part of losing weight for me... i eat a salad before every meal, just plain lettuce/cucumbers/carrots with wish bone fat free italian dressing... i love it!!!!! i try for 5 servings every day even though sometimes it doesnt happen. i hate drinking too much water (hate running to the bathroom all day), but "they" say drinking up to 4 bottles a day helps you lose weight faster
  4. Regular Member
    Also i am a pretty picky eater. I don't get to see my dh very much so when i do i like getting to make a nice meal. So if anyone has any recipes that you could give me that would be great!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I only have a few recipes, but here's my suggestion. If you really like to cook like GOOD meals, get a few Weight Watchers cookbooks. All of them have great recipes, and they're REAL food!

6. BJo
    Banned
    Banned
    There are so many ways you can cut calories. Salad dressing(opt for light), chicken instead of beef, whole wheat instead of white. Frozen veggies are usually cheaper than fresh but it gets the job done. Eliminate butter and pop. Also, portion control is huge. It took me a long time to just say, "you are full. That means stop not eat more because there is food left on the plate."
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello Hello!
    Try Fish! It's delicious and low cal. You can buy frozen fish. Try baking some white fish with spices and lemon juice. Mmmm. (and it doesn't take too long to cook!)
    Keep easy healthy snacks on hand... Carrots, Grapes, Apples, Celery (even with a little peanut butter) Almonds, Fruit Leather, etc.
    Remember to get a lot of fiber (and water). As well as whole grains. These will keep you feeling full longer, "regular", and lower cholesterol!
    (always remember to increase water when increasing fiber.)

In recipes you can swap applesauce for fat, use egg whites instead of the whole egg, try Splenda in recipes, use whole wheat flour.

(A word of warning about soups and frozen meals.. they are generally very high in Sodium which can cause High blood pressure!)

A great recipe book I have found is called Hungry Girl. She includes all the nutriton facts of every recipe, tips on how to stick to eating healthy, fun facts, AND they're REAL and GOOD foods that are just swapped around a little to become healthier! (You can find it at Target, Meijer, Walmart, etc)

I could go on for days.. I love this topic.. (my BS is in Dietetics, and i'm working on my masters in it!) Sorry for the long post and and hardly answering your question, but if you have more questions or details, please ask!
    Remember OPSEC Please!!
    Don't post dates and sensitive information.